Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there Pegheads! I hope everyone that went to Origins is home safely and recovering from the "big Con hang-over". Also, hope all you Dads had a wonderful Father's Day.

We are obviously big fans of BPPP, and I see many of you on guilds for other pods like The Secret Cabal, Brawling Brothers, Dukes of Dice, etc. I have been curious, however, about what other game related media you consume. That can be pretty broad to include video games, cosplay, painting, role playing and so on.

That said, what the Pegheads really want to know is...what are you playing this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watch a lot of Twitch for painting. I kind of use it as "company" when I am painting away in my mancave, and it is fun to interact in the chat. They have a good community in the painting streams.

I listen to a podcast called Nerd Poker with Brian Posehn and his friends. They play 5th edition D&D. Even though I don't role play, I really enjoy their naughty humor, and the adventures they are on are very engaging.

I listen to another Podcast called The Long War which is about 40K. It is hosted by a couple of painters I follow on Twitch, and they talk about everything Warhammer related.

Finally, I listen to a Podcast from our very own Wombat929, called Pick Up and Deliver. You get to tag along with Brendan for 15-20 minutes while he is walking to or from work, taking the kids to school, etc. Very thoughful topics, and one of my favorite pods.
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm sure there is more stuff I consume, but that's what leaps out at me for now. This week is filled with playing music, but I'll try to get some 40K in on Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the current Trickerion expansion on Kickstarter, I'm trying to get a game of Trickerion going at game night on Tuesday, and then Friday or Saturday night should be a game night at my place. Who knows what else the week will bring?

Thanks for the nod, Chris! I appreciate it.

I listen to a whole bunch of podcasts (Favorites: On Board Games, Ludology, Board Game Blitz, The Podcast of Nonsensical Gamers) and watch videos really only for gameplay or instructions (Favorites: Rahdo, Watch it Played, Games Rules!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian L
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully going to get in some plays of my Origins acquisitions: Coimbra, The Mind, Century: Eastern Wonders, Welcome To...

Oh and I listen to BPPP, Secret Cabal, Board Games in Bed, We're Not Wizards, Board Games with Panda, and This Game Is Broken!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I listen to A LOT of different podcasts. Probably the least mainstream gaming one I listen to that is a favorite of mine is Ding & Dent, although, I think they are catching on. EDIT - I wanted to encourage everybody who isn't already, to check out the Boards Alive RPG sessions they record. This is easily my favorite RPG podcast.

If you are up for a non-gaming podcast, and you enjoyed the mockumentaries made by the folks who did Spinal Tap, Dog Show, etc., you should check out This Sounds Serious which is a mock up of Podcasts like Serial and My Favorite Murder.

This past weekend I got in a ton of gaming for Father's Day -

Manhattan Project EE
Lunarchitects
Shadespire
Hoplomachus
Import/Export
Dice City (which my daughter actually said she hated, and I don't know that I disagree)

and my favorite game from the weekend?

Champions of Midgard (with expansions)

This coming week I'll be attending what may be my final Shadespire Tourney with my son (until the fall). Not sure what else I'm gonna get to play this week. I've got a lot of yard work to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vorpal Greatsword
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mainly follow other board game podcasts like BPPP, Secret Cabal, DT, RDTN, etc, but my first and longest podcast I follow is Fear the Boot. They've been going for over ten years, mainly discussing RPGs and related topics, and this week some friends and I are traveling up to St Louis to attend Fear the Con for the third year in a row. We'll spend all day Friday and Saturday playing various RPGs. It's a great group of people to play with and there are a load of different game systems to try out. Plus it's free to attend, so if you only really have to worry about your hotel and such. I highly encourage people to check it out. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=826031787445738&ref=...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do enjoy a good amount of media, primarily podcasts during my walk to work:

Regular Listener
BPPP (duh!)
Pick Up and Deliver with Brendan: really great and there is something really awesome about walking to/from work along with him!
Draft Mechanic: I like beer and I like board games! Jake and Danielle have great chemistry and I like the format and beer segments quite a bit.
Greatway Games: Really like listening to the 3 hosts and they follow a different format than the "big" podcasts.
Shut Up & Sit Down: Consistently excellent.
The Five By: Perfect length and love the format and hosts.
The Squanch: Rick and Morty podcast.

Occasional Listener
The Deep End: These are long episodes, but if I'm caught up, I try to catch it. I also game with Joe regularly and like to support his podcast.
Botch Games Podcast: I regularly game with Craig and like to hear his take on the games he's been playing, especially when I haven't seen him in a while.
The Dice Tower: I stopped listening to this one until Suzanne and Mandi were brought on and I try to catch their episodes when I'm not behind on my feed.
Dukes of Dice: I used to listen to them a lot more when they were once a week and shorter, but I often struggle to get through their longer, more "standard" format episodes.
Show Me the Meaning!: Philosophy and films, I catch this when I have seen the movie they're discussing.

Other Stuff
I do follow a few written blogs, including Daily Worker Placement, SU&SD, and Ruth's Sequential Gamer blog. On YouTube, I follow a few channels, including Watch It Played and Gaming Rules, No Pun Included, SU&SD (again), No Time for Games, and Inside the Box.

Like many others, my plan this week is to learn and play some new acquisitions like The Lost Expedition (I already played it solo this morning and it is hard!), Tokyo Highway, Let's Make a Bus Route, and Carthago: Merchants & Guilds. We might even try to get another game of Feudum under our belts before we forget the rules. We also have lots of new Meeple Realty inserts to build!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachelle Gordon
United States
PA - Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I listen to a number of gaming podcasts, many of which already mentioned. On a non-gaming note, I consume a lot of episodes of Stuff You Should Know. The hosts explore the history of a variety of topics, for example today I listened to their episodes on skyscrapers and the Manson Family. The topics vary widely, but I find them all interesting and I always feel more educated on whatever topic they are discussing.

I also consume YouTube videos, but not nearly to the degree I used to. My standby subscriptions include The Dice Tower, Watch It Played and Rhado. These are generally for when I want to get information on a particular game. On occasion I catch a video of Marty’s Musings, a new song by Ambie or a Gameboy Geek video. In the fall, I also watch streams from Her Fantasy Football.

I have a haul of games from Origins but not sure if much will get played this week. Unfortunately as soon as I got home from Columbus, I had to go out of town for work. I anticipate this week will include a lot of rules reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macy Allan
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Podcasts: I listen to Dukes of Dice and BPPP and have tried a couple others that haven’t really thrilled me. But I think I might start listening to SU&SD.
Videos: I love watching Game Night (probably because I don’t get the opportunity to actually play as often as I’d like). I’ll watch reviews occasionally but I prefer playthrough to see if a game really is something I’d like.
Games I played at Origins: Sailing towards Osiris, The Palace of Mad King Ludwig, Santa’s Workshop, Trans Europa, and Gearworks. Looking forward to play Campy Creatures which I picked up there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooo boy, I listen to far too many podcasts. I'm subscribed to over 70 different podcast feeds, though not all are still active, and not all publish episodes regularly. I'd say I listen to maybe 20 active ones per week, including BPPP, Dice Tower, Rahdo Talks Through, Pick Up And Deliver (yay Brendan!), SnakesCast, On Board Games, Building the Game, Boards Alive, and more.

Video-wise, I watch a fair load of Rahdo runthroughs/rundowns, some Dice Tower reviews for games that look interesting to me, occasionally a Watch It Played video, and some others that I watch based on the game more than the reviewer/player.

Outside of Boardgame Land (is that copyrighted by Flip Florey now? ), I listen to Wil Wheaton's Radio Free Burrito podcast, as and when he puts up new episodes - always fun stuff. And Film Sack podcast, which "reviews" films, usually older ones, and usually done with a lot of humour too.

Tomorrow: Game night, and I'm planning on teaching/running Anachrony. Should be good!

Thursday/Friday/Weekend: I'm doing playtesting/development on Welcome to DinoWorld for Alley Cat Games (which I believe I can talk about as Caezar announced it on the respective Facebook group), which is taking up most of my time at the moment.

I'm also doing some playtesting for Posthuman Saga, so need to carve out some time for that.

AND the Solitaire PnP Contest 2018 just launched, and I'd really like to enter again this year, though with so much time spent playtesting, I don't have a lot of time to work on my own designs. Good problem to have, I guess. But I'm planning on entering *something*, whether I finish it or not.

At some point over the weekend, I'd also like to give Vengeance a solo play (I got given a copy as a gift from Mighty Boards as a thankyou for helping them demo stuff at UKGE and playtesting a number of their games). I've read all the rules, just need to find a couple hours free somewhere...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night we tried the easy coop setting for The Lost Expedition and won! Somehow I don't think the normal difficulty will be so easy... We also got to play our new copy of Tokyo Highway and it was so much fun! Can't wait to play again! Let's Make a Bus Route arrives today, so we'll be learning that one tonight, assembling some new inserts, and maybe more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely get to actually play games in person with people. I do most of my gaming solo in app form on my iPhone/iPad. Most of the time, it's a board game app, but there are some exceptions. I've been hooked on Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes lately.

Board game app games that I have been playing lately are:
7 Wonders
Star Realms
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Splendor
Lords of Waterdeep

And as always, I have a running game of Talisman that I take turns on when I can.

I listen to quite a few gaming podcasts including:
Blue Peg Pink Peg
Secret Cabal
Dice Tower
Rolling Dice and Taking Names
Cardboard Carnage

Non-board game related podcasts that I enjoy are:
True Crime Garage
The Jim Ross Report
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides BPPP, I consistently listen to (as the first priority):

The Dice Tower Podcast
WDYPTW (What Did You Play This Week)
Gaming Rules Podcast
The Secret Cabal
Board Game Blitz
Greatway Games
Boardgames Insider
Low Player Count
The Lowe Post (NBA)

I don't listen to every episode, but still listen to a fair bit of:
Heavy Cardboard
Rolling Dice and Taking Names
Rahdo Talks Through
The Five By
Ludology
Boards Alive
The Ringer NBA podcast
The Woj pod (NBA)
The Raptors Reasonabilists (NBA Raptors)

For video, I put the following on in the background while working:
Gaming Rules video content and especially rules videos
The Cubist
Dice Tower Tonight/Top 10 Lists/BG Breakfast/BG Blender/convention coverage
Heavy Cardboard interviews, and occasional playthroughs
Rahdo or slickerdrips KS previews for games I'm interested in
some Watch it Played content, especially his talkback segments

I inconsistently seek out review videos from various sources

I played a bunch of games yesterday:
- learned Onitama
- learned Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small
- learned Sorcerer & Stones
- taught Castles of Burgundy the Dice Game
- and started a Doctor Who RPG 4th Doctor adventure for my wife and 2 boys late last night, that will be continuing nightly for the next while

More games to come daily this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

Great question...it was actually Brandon Nall from the Brawling Brothers who turned me on to BPPP. Additionally, I listen to Gabe Barrett's excellent Board Game Design Lab and occasionally catch an episode or two from other content creators but definitely don't listen to the others with the same fervor as BB or BPPP.

This week, I'm bringing some of my newest games (Senshi and Shogunate) and one I finally learned to play (Dead of Winter, thanks to grinshy!) to the Board Game Night. This weekend, I'll introduce my new girlfriend to Villages of Valeria which I picked-up simply because my pictures of the game elicited the response, "Oh the art work is beautiful...that looks fun!"

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a great game of Anachrony at game night last night. Full 4 player game, me teaching the other 3 who were new to it. It played out very nicely, and they all got the idea of the mechanics pretty quickly. Super fun to play.

Alas we ran out of time to finish the game - we needed about 10-15 mins more to do just one final round (the 7th and last) but we scored up at the end of the 6th round instead. I managed to win by just 2 points, with Rachel coming in a very close 2nd having used an early-built Power Plant that gives XVP for spending X resources to go X Eras back in time pretty much every round (even if she didn't need to pay anything off - just to get the VPs). Andrew and Chris were somewhat trailing 20 points or so behind Rachel and I, but Chris had planned on evacuating in that final round so probably would have been 15 or so points higher.

The other games going on on the other tables were Wallenstein, Heaven & Ale and Santa Maria. The Wallenstein table didn't finish their game in time either, and also needed just one more round. I can see why people often turn up to the game night 30 mins early so they can get a full 3 hour game in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Hall
Australia
Croydon
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Besides BPPP, fav board game podcasts are:
- The Secret Cabal
- Five Games for Doomsday (interview with a board game notable, what five games to bring to the cabin when doomsday comes. Last show was with Reiner Knizia)
- Last Place (Efke and JonGetsGames)
- SU&SD
- So Very Wrong About Games (might not suite all tastes, hosts can be a bit acerbic)
- This Game is Broken (comedy panel game show)
- Board Games in Bed (like the hosts)

Listen to some episodes of others, like Heavy Cardboard, Dice Tower, Across the Board.

Non board games:
- Song Exploder - one artists explains the creation of one of their songs
- Science Vs - whats the scientific consensus for some "controversial" topic (eg, circumcision)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stearns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only podcast I listen to every episode of is BPPP. And I am mostly up to date on a local beer podcast- 919Beer.

Sometimes I'll check out episodes of Rolling Dice and Taking Names, Draft Mechanic, or Secret Cabal. Need to check out Brawling Brothers!

On You Tube, I follow Watch It Played, but do not consistently watch it. I also have a friend who writes for Meeple Mountain, so I try to read the reviews that he writes.

As far as games go... I had to travel for work right after getting home from Origins. But I got to play Concordia with
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

It was my first play of Concordia and I thought it was great. Great times with Joe and very happy he was able to bring that to play.

Tomorrow is a big game day at a friend's house because his family is gone for the weekend. Should be a Big Time! Hoping to get some Origins acquisitions played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuesday marked the arrival of Let's Make a Bus Route and it is awesome!!! I think it will really shine with 3+ players, but even with 2 it was a fun puzzle. Really looking forward to more plays this weekend. Last night we learned some new (to us) games: we got in the learning game of BattleLore (Second Edition) and I think this is the minis/combat game we've been looking for! Learning the full game very soon. We ended the night with learning the 2-player rules for Carthago: Merchants & Guilds and it was great! I thought Paul totally had me, but 1 guild action at the end of the game won it for me by 1 point!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
My board game media consumption all started with the Dice Tower podcast in 2014. Oddly enough, I'd been aware of the show for years; just never listened to it until then.

About a year later I started listening to The Secret Cabal after they did their GenCon Preview episode with Tom & Eric.

A few months before I would attend my first Origins in 2016, I decided it was time to branch out and try some of the other podcasts in the network. The first two were Blue Peg Pink Peg and RDTN.

In the intervening years thanks to frequent guest appearance and shout outs between the podcasting community, I have discovered and added Ludology, Board Games Insider, Brawling Brothers, Dukes of Dice, and Across the Board.

I never could seem to get into video content, though. I did manage to become something of a regular viewer of Board Game Breakfast for about six months, but it didn't stick. I do always turn to Watch It Played first if there's a game I need to learn fast. I have also watched Rahdo on occasion. The only video content I've ever really consumed regularly without missing were Steve Spang's Ruin-Your-Friday jokes every week during the Secret Cabal's 2017-2018 season.

This week has mostly been the Origins haul games coming to table. On Monday night after we got back from Ohio we played Century: Eastern Wonders, The Mind, and Unearth, and then Unearth hit the table again at our house on Wednesday night. I did take some time on Tuesday to unbox and learn a game I acquired back in April in trade, Spike. Might see if I can talk anyone into playing a game of that this weekend. If not, there are plans to play it next Monday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big update, everyone!!! Friday night we got out a full game of BattleLore (Second Edition) and it was great! I killed over half of Paul's forces, but he managed the win with holding more valuable ground (banners). Next up was Tokyo Highway and wow...Paul took off with tons of scoring, but building up pretty high to stay above my roads. I branched out a bit to get away from some of the chaos, and he got trapped with his roads, resulting in a complete destruction of the highway! I love the strategic play with the slight element of dexterity mixed in!

Yesterday was a huge, epic game day! Paul is off backpacking, so I headed out to have a game day with friends. Opened with The Legend of the Cherry Tree that Blossoms Every Ten Years, which is a great push-your-luck game and a perfect way to start the day. And so pretty! We tried The Lost Expedition after that and everyone is pretty convinced I just like games about dying! Oaxaca: Crafts of a Culture was next and a cool engine building with dice game. Next up was the Germany-Sweden world cup game and Piepmatz. This game is super weird, but once you get it, it is really cool! We got a setup rule wrong, but we all agreed we'd like to play it again (and again). There's a lot of game in that little box! I taught Let's Make a Bus Route next and it was a lot of fun with 3! I'm loving the shared board in this draw-and-draw roll-and-write game. I couldn't resist another game of The Quacks of Quedlinburg—I am in love with this game! Consider it my pick for Kennerspiel!!! It is so good! I do love a good push-your-luck game and this is a great one. Looking forward to more plays of this one! Welcome To... was next, with a bit of a rough teach on my part, but we all got it in the end (I think!). I still haven't done as well as I did in my very first play... We enjoyed some dinner with Downforce, which was delightful! My cars were terrible and one couldn't even finish! I'd love to play this one again too. Last game of the night was Harvest, which was neat, but maybe a little too fast? But at least I finally won a game! Everyone won at least one game in our epic game day!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Got a few more games in Friday evening with my sons. First a couple of 2-player plays of The Climbers (thanks again, Professor!) with Matthew, each of us winning once, and then a 2-player game of Space Base. We finished up with a three-player game of New York Slice after Jonathan got home from his friend's house later in the evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Final game of the week last night - 2 tries at Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 for February. We lost the first, but managed to pull out a win in the second!

Potential spoiler bits in the summary that follows, so I'll spoiler-tag them, but I think they're generic enough that there's nothing revealed in it:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
We managed the win in the 2nd game purely thanks to some very timely Rationed Events cards (aka "Funded Events" in season 1 / vanilla Pandemic) coming out in people's hands, allowing us to skip the Infect Cities step AND gain 3 extra actions, allowing us to complete the required objectives on a single turn, with the Outbreak level hovering right up to the limit (we were on the last step before insta-death, and knew the next few cards in the infect deck would cause it, with no hope of being able to stop it).
Talk about winning by the skin of our teeth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
La Grange
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and daughter left town for a swim meet, so I hung out with my son a lot and played games a lot. Fun weekend.

I recently picked up The Prodigals Club and Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization, so I used some time on Saturday morning and Sunday morning to play solo games of each. Really fun! Then, Saturday evening a few pals came over and we played The Prodigals Club with all three contests (2nd place), The Grimm Forest (lost badly), and Potion Explosion (won).

A great gaming weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
Got a few more games in Friday evening with my sons. First a couple of 2-player plays of The Climbers (thanks again, Professor!) with Matthew, each of us winning once, and then a 2-player game of Space Base. We finished up with a three-player game of New York Slice after Jonathan got home from his friend's house later in the evening.

John,

That's great to hear! I'm really glad you enjoyed it.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...and the update...

I got Splendor to the table again and lost by one point to my girlfriend who only learned the game recently and it was her second play of it. Also, we played Villages of Valeria...great little game and plays in well under an hour but is thinky enough to get the gray matter ging but fun enough to teach someone new o the hobby. Also, art by the The Miko (Raiders of the North Sea, as well) is always a plus. Oh, yeah, she one that game, as well

Also, had a great time teaching Concordia to Jennifer Stearns! I do need to remind folks of the importance of Minerva cards blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |