Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
We will be revisiting Sentient. What do you think of the game? Remember if you provide your comments below, please also provide your rating. Will pick a few to discuss.

Poll
1. Have you played Sentient?
Yes
No, but want to.
No, but would try if someone brought it out to play.
No and no desire to.
2. What is your BPPP rating of Sentient?
6-game collection essential
3-average game
0-the worst
      145 answers
Poll created by rookenoble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Turner
United States
Bennington
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
J. Alex Kevern is the master of medium weight streamlined games. Sentient is not my favorite of his designs but it is a solid game and a 4 on the BPPP scale. My only real issue with the game is the price and box size. $55 MSRP for a deck of cards and some dice is a bit much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Edge

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At my Tuesday night gaming group, I've seen this played once. Watching the play (and I had seen reviews of it before), I had a hard time grasping all the nuances of placement and card play. Still, if it was brought again (and it hasn't been brought since the one night it was played a few months back) I'd try Sentient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Newman
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
and Tentacles
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everything Richie said above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the time, Sentient runs smoothly, but there are a couple bugs that return errors for me. Gameplay is solid and interesting, and the box art is amazing. However, the theme feels barely there, and the card art is not very good (especially in light of the gorgeous cover), which puts it just on the 3-side of the 3/4 divide for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Owens
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While this game leans heavier to the tactics than the strategy it makes me feel clever when I pull off a high scoring round. I also really enjoy the tension of using markers for area control but also needing them as modifiers. I don't mind paying a bit more for the chunky custom dice and over produced bits and artwork. This is a high 5 for me and one that makes it back to the table often in comparison to other games in this category.

Cheers,

Kenny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I play Sentient versus a computer and the computer falls asleep during the rules explanation, will it dream of electric sheep?

I mean, its pretty much the Turing Test right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Donohue
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
Kneel puny Doomtrooper before the might of the Ezoghoul!
mbmbmbmbmb
I quite like this game. I enjoy the tactical puzzle of trying to score the cards within the constraints of what you've already played that round and the random factor of your dice roll. Also that you have to decide to use your markers for dice mitigation or for their area control aspect. I tend to enjoy tactical games more than strategic games, so it's just in the right spot for me.

Fairly light, easy enough to teach and just beautiful.

I'd say a high 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's fine...period. I played this once at a Meet-Up in Crystal City, along with MAJ Brown and a few other attendees a few months ago. If memory serves, I won...but it didn't leave me elated, I was just pleased to have figured out to use the card and dice combinations. It's certainly clever, but not particularly ground-breaking. It's at a place between a meaty-centerpiece title for the night and a filler game. Better than average at a 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X X
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is a fine game, wouldn't have bought it if i didn't see it at my FLGS for %50 off the MSRP (turned out to be $25) way overpriced new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a "shaky 4" for me. I've owned it for about six months now but it doesn't hit our table all that often. It's a 4 on components, ease of understanding & teaching, and artwork, but it can fall down on game play and sometimes overstays its welcome. I'm usually willing to play it, but it rarely is one that I'll spend a game pick on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stearns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As everyone has said, this is a fine game. Average at a 3 for me, maybe a low 4. I like the puzzly aspect of this, but there are a lot of other filler games I would prefer over this. Also agree that the theme isn't really there. I do not feel like I am building robots on an assembly line, ha!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie Chisum
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Every time I see this game I think of RDTN's review of it where they called it "sentinent" the entire episode and I absolutely can't stomach even trying it. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
got them thanks....

Thumb up