Popular Tags: [View All]
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good morning, Pegheads! Summer is here, con season is here, and 2018 hotness is here!

Is the summer a time for playing games or getting outside?
A time for traveling to cons or enjoying your own backyard?
A time for trying all the new hotness or revisiting old favorites?

But what the Pegheads REALLY want to know is...what are you playing this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With summer here my wife opts to sleep in rather than get up early and play a game over coffee, and the evenings rarely are conducive to gaming for us, unless we host a game night. So that means mostly solo games for me for a while.

No cons to travel to this summer. I typically get to Origins for a day, but had other commitment this year. Maybe a day for a local con this fall.

I'm trying to resist getting any new games until I work through more of what I have, especially staying focused on our 10x10 list.

I will likely play a solo game or two of either CoB:TCG, Room 25 or Terraforming Mars this week. If I'm lucky, there is a possibility I might get my oldest daughter and wife to sit for a 3p game of Broom Service some evening as we have a quieter, evening schedule this week.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Morning Meghan!

Summer is ALWAYS a time for games! If you happen to be playing them outside, all the better! (except for those windy days...)

As it's usually a reduced attendance at our weekly meetups in town, we tend to be playing old favourites more than usual, though as the UKGE / Origins / GenCon hotness games start showing up, we'll pounce on those too.

This week's plan:
- This evening: Playtesting & general gaming meetup, plus have an old friend in town who's coming along too (he runs the game group I used to go to where I used to live), so should be a fun time!
- Wednesday: Aforementioned old friend is coming over for some 2-player gaming fun!
- Rest of week: Whatever I have time for, really. I REALLY want to give Vengeance a try, at least solo, so I can see if I like it enough to keep it. I also have to do more playtesting/development on Welcome to DinoWorld, as I've tweaked a number of mechanisms after playtesting over the weekend, and want to get the changes fully tested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
...I also have to do more playtesting/development on Welcome to DinoWorld, as I've tweaked a number of mechanisms after playtesting over the weekend, and want to get the changes fully tested.
surprise You have me curious.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bkunes wrote:
njshaw2 wrote:
...I also have to do more playtesting/development on Welcome to DinoWorld, as I've tweaked a number of mechanisms after playtesting over the weekend, and want to get the changes fully tested.

The publisher wants it as a "more strategic than average roll & write", so Dávid Turczi and I are adding in more strategic depth to James' original design. Should end up nicely strategic with a lot of replayability (or to coin a BPPP tome, "variability"), but still in keeping with the core design, once we finalise the changes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
bkunes wrote:
njshaw2 wrote:

The publisher wants it as a "more strategic than average roll & write", so Dávid Turczi and I are adding in more strategic depth to James' original design. Should end up nicely strategic with a lot of replayability (or to coin a BPPP tome, "variability"), but still in keeping with the core design, once we finalise the changes!

Is what you're working on going to be part of the upcoming KS for the game???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hall
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Origins haul consisted of only 1 new game (Dice fishing!). Instead I picked up a bunch of games from the flea market. Some of which won't be played for a while as they are events (Advanced Civ and Revolution:The Dutch revolt).

I did re-acquire Glory to Rome after I regretted getting rid of it last year and people I play with started getting more into Chudyk. I expect this to be played quite a lot as it is easy to fit in at least a play around some longer games.

I also acquired Tribune: Primus Inter Pares after listening to an excellent episode of the Long View with Mark Bigney as the guest. I am really excited to try this one out. A highly interactive worker placement game from the guy that gave us Die Macher that can play in only 1 hour but has lots of meat for that short playing time.

Also will be playing friends acquisitions from Origins potentially as we all got quite a bunch. Trajan might be on the table very soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Moore
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked up a few games while at Origins, and have been playing those.

Dragon Castle and Altiplano... but with that I have been mostly playing games that I haven't played in a while, determining what to keep and in turn, making a "to sell" pile.

Culling the collection, it's been my primary focus in 2018.

Its not been a fun experience, but it was necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I play music semi-regularly during the summer and I'll be riding my motorcycle a bit more. Also, my friends seem to have a bit more to do during the summer, so gaming has slowed down since the sun has been out.

As far as Cons go, I did Gen Con 50 and that was probably good enough for me. I may try a local Con someday (San Francisco or Portland OR), but not until next year.

Gaming-wise, I honestly think I have hit that point in my collecting where I need to stop buying games and start playing what I have. I know some people to 10x10's, but I would like to have each person in my group chose a game that we will play maybe 5 times. It would end up being more like a 5 or 6x5. That way, I will get some of my games played multiple times, and start to dig in a little deeper. Revisiting old favorites will be more of the format moving forward.

Game stuff for this week:
Friday
Gloomhaven!

Saturday
Scythe + Airship expansion

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Sexton
United States
Silver Lake
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still recovering from a Shadespire hangover. Saturday my son and I played in another Shadespire tournament. My son won the thing and took home a coveted Shadespire trophy.

Last night I finally got back to playing Arkham Horror LCG where I managed to deliver a beat down to a Rou-Garou.

This week will probably be a slow one, but I'm thinking I'll get in some time with Dungeon Alliance. There is an outside chance I'll participate in some Shadespire casual play at the local GW store that just opened. If I'm lucky I'll get in some time with Hoplomachus and possibly Fate of the Elder Gods or Viticulture. We will have to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been playing any boardgames lately. My current addiction is Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes. If any peg heads play let me know and we'll ally up!

My ally code is 473-942-743. Screen name is Niquilibrium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meghan,

Hello, my friend! I'm so sorry that we only got one game to the table together (Welcome To...) along with ten other PiranhaPigCon attendees.

Yes, summer definitely gets more games outside-ish. I run a series of "one-off D&D adventures for friends while I visit Philly over the next two months...so, we break out the citronella candles, paper, pencils, and some dice!

Origins was awesome, but as I'm unable to attend WashingCon, as I'm taking my daughter back to college that weekend, I think my Convention attendance might be more local military-type affairs.

My upcoming "Hotness" is rather limited...however, while I'm not a fan of Gloomhaven (honestly, I'd rather play DD& than open envelopes to play D&D...no offense, Isaac), I'm very excited about Founders of Gloomhaven.

This week...
Mon: Rules review for Atlantis: Island of Gods by RedImp Games
Tue: D&D 3.5 Campaign/Adventure via Fantasy Grounds and Skype
Wed: Contact potential designers ~ potential customers
Thu: Host a Game Night at a local Irish Pub ~ definitely another 5-player Dead of Winter
Fri: My girlfriend returns and we'll get Viticulture to the table
Sat: 1-player Meet-Up with friends in the area (defined broadly), to which I'll bring and teach 1775, 878 Vikings, and Concordia
Sun: Villages of Valeria
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachelle Gordon
United States
PA - Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
I also have to do more playtesting/development on Welcome to DinoWorld, as I've tweaked a number of mechanisms after playtesting over the weekend, and want to get the changes fully tested.

I had a chance to play the print and play version at Origins with my daughter and others. Really enjoyed it as did my daughter, so I realy look forward to the release of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom on my table and I'm going to play it every night this week. I'm headed to the DMV 1PG MeetUp on Saturday with Joe and teaching Scythe. Sunday is Boozy Board Game Night and I haven't decided what to bring yet, but I'm leaning towards Petrichor.

On a side note, I acquired BattleLore (Second Edition) with a couple expansions this week and I'm dying to try it out. I'll jump at the first chance I get...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macy Allan
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One nice things about summer is that I don’t have to nag my son to do homework and instead we’ll play a game. Tonight was Mice and Mystics.

Summer seems the right time to play a longer campaign game, so I might try to play Near and Far.

Hopefully, I can get enough people together to try The Thing: Infection at Outpost 31.

Recently, I’ve been kind of obsessed with playing the solitaire version of The Castles of Burgundy: The Card Game which I picked up at the virtual flea market at Origins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cuteusagi wrote:
(...ref DinoWorld...)

Is what you're working on going to be part of the upcoming KS for the game???

Yes indeed! It should be a really interesting entry into the roll & write family. We're also [currently - this isn't set in stone yet] including a more interesting solo mode, a strategic mode for up to 5 players, and a more party-like mode for up to 10 players (though that's just limited by the number of dice in the box; you could have any number of players in theory.)

And I might need some blind playtesting help some point in the near future, if anyone's game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good playtest meetup last night. We didn't get around to trying DinoWorld alas, but we had one new guy come along, who happened to be on holiday in the area and noticed our meetup announcement on meetup.com, so came along with his design. It was good fun - a mid-weight worker-placement game which is basically Pacific Rim: The Game: You're constructing your mega-robots to then go head to head with Kaiju monsters coming out of rifts. We had fun playing that.

We then got a playtest in of changes to my friend Chris, and my, co-designed game Banquet, with changes we've made to make the game a bit more interactive [following feedback from publishers at UKGE who were potentially interested in the game, if we could get the interactivity up]. The playthrough went well, and we came away with yet more ideas of things to try! Great stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the South Dakota summers bring more trips to the lake on weekends. However with the kids being out of school, there is an opportunity to fit a game in before bed. Last night we played a game of Azul, I believe that was my 14th play. Really enjoying it so far.

As for my gaming group, the weeknights are filled with a lot of people playing softball. But honestly we really have not gotten together consistently since our SeaFall game ended over a year ago.

I am currently throwing together a commander deck for MTG. Trying to use cards I already own and stay away from any new purchases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
On a side note, I acquired BattleLore (Second Edition) with a couple expansions this week and I'm dying to try it out. I'll jump at the first chance I get...

We just got a copy of the base game too!!! So far we are really enjoying it—hope you're enjoying it too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Summers are a less busy time around our place, as both my wife and I are educators. Lots of gaming (fuelled by a bunch of new games courtesy of by birthday), but also usually travel and swim meets.

This year my wife and I are leaving the kids and going to Newfoundland for nine days. I am excited, but terrified, because our big splurge on the trip is to go snorkeling with humpback whales. My gut clenches just thinking about it, but it will be amazing I'm sure.... and I'll try not to think about white tip sharks much. whistle

This week will bring a few fun games, including a game of Trickerion I'm very excited for tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richmond Bramblet
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Monday is usually the one day that I get to play games after I host my Family Feud trivia show.

Last night we played
- Sheriff of Nottingham (5p)
- Gorus Maximus (5p FFA)
- Noch Mal (4p)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
The summer is a time for both playing games and getting outside. Maybe even sometimes combining the two...

The summer is a time for traveling to cons. As for my own backyard, well... I live in the city so it's not really all that enjoyable. On the plus side, it takes me about five minutes to mow all the weeds back there...

The summer (and fall, winter, and spring) is definitely a time for trying all the new hotness and revisiting old favorites.

This week we played The Climbers again on Monday night, followed by a first play of Spike, which I got in a math trade in April, and then learning another new-to-me game, The Flow of History.

We all enjoyed Spike, but no one realized going in how tight of a game it was going to be. You have all kinds of ways to score points in the game but nowhere near enough time to focus on more than one or two of them. I look forward to playing it again.

Flow of History was pretty fun; it reminded me of a cross between 7 Wonders and Innovation. We didn't get to finish our game so I definitely want another crack at playing this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rody Burg
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got through the second week of the Shadows Of Brimstone campaign my group started. I have never in my life played a game that required so much book keeping. Even Kingdom Death Monster has more ways to keep the books where Shadows is all the tracking of things. I ever bought a 3rd party tracking app specifically made for the game and it is still exhausting keeping up with all the stats. Having fun with it overall so far.

Other than that just blowing through all the roll and writes. Ganz Schon Clever (great), No Siesta! (good), MetroX (very fun, difficult rules), Wurfelland (fine), Penny Papers (no thanks) and Steamrollers (don't love it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stearns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On nice summer days, I like playing outside. On hot days, I enjoy the cool AC and playing inside!

Tonight is our weekly game night, week two of The Pillars of the Earth. Thursday night is campaign night with Near and Far. We might have non-gamer friends over on Saturday for a meal and light games. On Sunday, a friend may have a few gamers over for light gaming with his cousin. Less definite game plans this week than usual, but after Origins and work travel, I'm ok with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nye
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
A three part question, SWEET!

When it is a big group of us we stick to the games in front of an A/C unit but when just a few the bon fire ring is always a blaze during these warm months. A few of us always hit one big Con a year (origins this time) but other then that it is backyard shenanigans all summer. And Finally I would say oldie but goodie right now but after the big haul at Origins looks like it is a summer full of the new.

This week has been The Fox in the Forest, Mystery of the Temples and read through Gekido: Bot Battlesrule book so far. Also hoping for a Peghead friend to be up from Cincinnati to play some Dragonfire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |