Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
The summer is a time for both playing games and getting outside. Maybe even sometimes combining the two...

This week we played The Climbers again on Monday night, followed by a first play of Spike, which I got in a math trade in April, and then learning another new-to-me game, The Flow of History.

Interested I what your thoughts are with The Flow of History
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Windship2Mars wrote:
Interested I what your thoughts are with The Flow of History

I want to play it again. I enjoyed the partial play and I wish we'd had another 20-30 minutes to finish. The biding system for claiming cards was neat and added some interesting strategy. I liked the combat system in the game; it could be pretty punishing if you were attacked but it was fairly easy to build up a decent defense without needing to be "the military guy".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Grishny...saw you played Concordia. Sure would love to hear more in depth about your experience at some point. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
@Grishny...saw you played Concordia. Sure would love to hear more in depth about your experience at some point. thumbsup

Yes, I sort of lucked into that. I had intended to go play it at Beermongers this week, but my wife wanted to go see Solo Tuesday night so we did that instead.

Last night I had some after hours work to do, which I normally stay at the office for. I took my laptop with me to the game cafe to see if I could get dinner there and maybe get my work done remotely. That worked out, and a bunch of friends showed up to game. We were trying to decide on something, and I asked if anyone wanted to play Concordia.

We had a player with some experience there to teach us, so it must have been meant to be.

The game is as great as everyone says it is. It definitely punched me in my meat locker!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
voodoochyl wrote:
...The game is as great as everyone says it is. It definitely punched me in my meat locker!
thumbsup

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Concordia, punching people's meat locker since 2013!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a good 2-player game of Anachrony last night! My opponent went heavy into buildings, and I went heavy into everything else (morale, time travel, evacuation bonuses). We ended up at 53 points apiece. Tiebreak: most water. My water: 4. His water: 5. DAMN! So close. And I knew exactly where I could have gained at least one extra point during the game, had I played ever so slightly cleverer.

Great game. Chomping at the bit to try some of the expansion modules now. Just need to find someone who's played the base game and is willing to play one of those modules with me, so I don't have to teach a whole base game AND module at the same time. (I've yet to play the game with the same people more than once!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
Had a good 2-player game of Anachrony last night! My opponent went heavy into buildings, and I went heavy into everything else (morale, time travel, evacuation bonuses). We ended up at 53 points apiece. Tiebreak: most water. My water: 4. His water: 5. DAMN! So close. And I knew exactly where I could have gained at least one extra point during the game, had I played ever so slightly cleverer.

Great game. Chomping at the bit to try some of the expansion modules now. Just need to find someone who's played the base game and is willing to play one of those modules with me, so I don't have to teach a whole base game AND module at the same time. (I've yet to play the game with the same people more than once!)

I'm having that same experience. But I've been bringing it to my reg game night every other month or so, so now I've built a stable of 8 or so people who've played before.

This last week we played Gloomhaven twice, trying #26, the ancient cistern. On the first game, we lost two turns before we would have won. Then last night the EXACT SAME RESULT. ARGH.

I suspect we won't return to that scenario for a long time.

Yesterday my daughter did a 2k open water swim, so we had a lot of down time while we waited for her group's start. We played several games of Dead Man's Draw and Zooscape. Both enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
njshaw2 wrote:
Had a good 2-player game of Anachrony last night! ...

I'm having that same experience...

So am I. I can't recall if I've ever played a single game of Anachrony where I wasn't teaching at least one new player the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Light
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like to play card games outside in the summer. Many times my wife and I will go to the park and play something on a blanket.

No cons for the foreseeable future, as we have a new baby.

Last night 6 of us played Lords Of Waterdeep, with Scoundrels Of Skullport, both parts. My group is never the fastest, and then add in the corruption and it took us 3 hours to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a light game night on Friday with Clans of Caledonia (and enjoying our new Meeple Realty insert!). I had a really rough start and was making some terrible decisions in the first round, which caught up to me in final scoring, even though I got a great whiskey engine going eventually. We wanted something lighter after and got out Let's Make a Bus Route. So much fun! I really ADORE this game lately. I completed my route and had several turns extra to pick up additional passengers FTW!

EDIT: On tap for today is Star Wars: Rebellion, which is setup and ready to go for later!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Klipfel
United States
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughters have asked me to teach them Magic: The Gathering for a few years now. I got the idea from listening to Mr Vassel to try the Duel Decks. WOW did it work great tonight. Had a ton of fun, teaching them through 2 decks that have been designed to work well against each other. .. excellent teaching tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nye
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ended up not getting to play Dragonfire last night

But did figure out Gekido: Bot Battles and got in a 4 player round with the kids. Good old dice chucking luck and very nice minis from CMON. And of course we got the new family favorite in a few times Gold Rush #TomVaseldoesntlikefun, hahaha man that cracks me up when I see that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a follow-up ~ my girlfriend and I attended the PA/MD/VA 1-Player Group Meet Up this past weekend. Thanks to Suzy and Rich for hosting! We got a number of great title =s to the table. While other were playing Scythe and epic soccer-board game, we at the other table had a chance to play Azul, (twice), Villages of Valleria, 1775, and Concordia!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
jessecuster3 wrote:
No cons for the foreseeable future, as we have a new baby.

I missed this earlier. CONGRATULATIONS!

A couple fun games here at the end of the week. We got to try Legacy of Dragonholt. It was fun, but the first mission is a bit meh, but I chalk that up to it being the learning mission. I really hope the later ones are better because I was really pumped for the game.

I also taught my daughter to play Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization and we played our first round of it. AWESOME. She kicked my butt (148 to 100). I think I would have caught her in a full game, but this was the 2 age beginner game. No worries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A few solo games rounded out the weekend: Two plays of Euphoria, testing the automa for the new expansion, and a solo play of Vengeance which is a fun game of revenge. The solo game is similar to multiplayer except you have specific end-game goals you MUST achieve to "win"; I scraped in with a lowest-level win, which I was very pleased with. But oh boy, there are a lot of minis in that game (over 80 I believe).

I also started learning Port Royal: The Adventure Begins... last night, but got majorly distracted by watching 2 back-to-back episodes of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Update on the rest of the week...

Thursday evening, I taught the rest of the family Century: Eastern Wonders, then my wife and I got in a quick game of Codenames Duet on Friday. Saturday my sons and I spent the day at a gaming event in Harrisburg where I got in plays of Diamonsters (new to me!), New York Slice, Scythe, Century: Eastern Wonders and Secret Hitler.

Yesterday we spent 12 hours in the car driving up to Maine to visit family, but we did get in a few rounds of both Insider and Fake Artist before we collapsed from exhaustion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cuteusagi wrote:
On tap for today is Star Wars: Rebellion, which is setup and ready to go for later!

We did indeed play a game of Rebellion and it was a short one! Paul took a risk with his Rebellion and placed the Rebel Base on Cato Neimoidia, which I quickly discovered thanks to a captured Riekan and an interrogation droid. Once Tarkin had the Death Star on Dagobah operational, we swiftly destroyed the Rebel base and showed the Galaxy the power of the Empire!

We also played some Tokyo Highway on Saturday and enjoyed a game of BattleLore (Second Edition) on Sunday. I finally won a game! Really enjoying discovering the strategies and tactics in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Light
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Brendan!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blickley
United States
Brockton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got some of our Origins loot to the table over the weekend. First up got in a play of London (Second Edition), man what a great game. Never played the 1st edition so I'm not sure how it stacks up but we had a blast. Martin Wallace knows what he's doing when it comes to making games. Also got in a few plays of Lucidity: Six-Sided Nightmares, a game that wasn't even on our radar but my brother picked it up at the Renegade booth and after we played it, I went and bought it immediately. Fun little push-your-luck game with some teeth to it. Also got in some Campy Creatures, another fun one, and finished it off with our big purchase Massive Darkness this past Sunday. Good ol' dice chuckin' dungeon crawlin' craziness! Still have a couple games we got at Origins to play yet, that'll be this week, they are Orléans and Merlin - can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |