Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
How did my trivia tie into or obscurely link to the episode?

What is a more creative/better link from my trivia to the episode?

Rules for contest are found here:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1964373/season-2-trivia...

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Selander
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tommy Boy is a road trip movie set in Ohio, which links to the Pegs talking about their trip to Origins in Ohio.

[Edit:] Fun fact: I once literally took a road trip specifically from Columbus (home of Origins) to Sandusky (home of Tommy Boy)--no joke! But of course, I don't think Robb would have any knowledge of that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vannoy
United States
Shreve
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bees! The scene where they are being pulled over by the police and fake a bee attack to get the cops to leave. Oh, that relates to the Bees faction in CC. And was also brought up a couple times later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turner
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tommy Boy is a quintessential buddy movie about 2 guys who could be playing games like Crystal Clans, Fox in the Forest, or Santorini. 2 guys = 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Rourke
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No surprise that LoudBluePeg (Robb) loves the movie with the song "I Love It Loud" on the soundtrack. That cover version of the song was performed by Phunk Junkeez and had a music video starring Farley and Spade in character.

At Origins, Christina mentioned "Boyfriend Buonocore" having chapstick for when you got "Buonocored." The Origins / Tommy Boy / Smooch connection is that the original version of "I Love It Loud" was a classic hard rock song by KISS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lien
United States
Garrison
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may sound a little morbid, but I believe that the star of Tommy Boy Chris Farley died of a heart attack, and in the episode you talk about Patrick almost dying of a heart attack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lien
United States
Garrison
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way loud blue Peg (Rob) this does not have to be a guilty pleasure for you! This movie is spectacular and always good for a laugh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Sites
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a scene in Tommy Boy where David Spade pretends to be house keeping wanting to come into the room and Tommy is too tired/hung over to want to get up and start the day which plays into the story of Robb trying to wake up on Friday after the Mash Up Meet Up to attend the wondrous Origins meeting he had planned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willie Williams
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not finished the podcast yet, so I am uncertain what the trivia means... but that doesn't stop me from posting this.

All things are related to Fat Guy in a Little Coat...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Punter
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only listened to the beginning so far, but Robb actually called himself Rob this episode, after Rob Lowe, thereby crediting him in the BPPP episode when he was uncredited in Tommy Boy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MrBungle333 wrote:
Bees! The scene where they are being pulled over by the police and fake a bee attack to get the cops to leave. Oh, that relates to the Bees faction in CC. And was also brought up a couple times later on.

Dang, beat me to it. As soon as Robb said "Beeeees!" I immediately thought of that scene
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Farley also starred in Beverly Hills ninja which features the Kung fu fighting song that was mentioned in respect to the club early in the episode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Elkins
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garbagerunner wrote:
MrBungle333 wrote:

Dang, beat me to it. As soon as Robb said "Beeeees!" I immediately thought of that scene

Totally the answer for the trivia. God I love that movie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nye
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
After a long weekend at Origins Robb needed to relax with his favorite movie (Tommy Boy), but during the movie he thought it would fun to check out some of the old reviews of the movie. After reading what Robert Ebert thought of this great master piece Robb couldn't take it. He was okay with him not liking it, he was fine with it being on Ebert's worst movies ever list and he could even let it go he thought that Rob Lowe was the only acting to be any good. But for Ebert to say there was no memorable lines in Tommy Boy was going to far! For days he thought of how he could get back at such slander to his guilty pleasure and then it hit him. Blue Peg Pink Peg has just as many great memorable lines as Tommy Boy.

Lines like "not so much here or here, but Riiiight here" (Tommy Boy)

To go along with "everyone that saw it went ewwwww! and I think I broke my coxis" (BPPP)

Another good one "Bees Bees ahhhh Bees" (T.B)

With Patrick and his "yeah yeah yeah yeah" (BPPP)

Or even "House keeping can I fluff your pillow" (T.B.)

Can go with "Jeremy have you played this weeks re-roll game?" "Nope" (BPPP)

And of course the iconic part of them singing Superstar together in the car (T.B.)

matches up great with every re-roll song (BPPP)

Robb knew he had the perfect combination to prove that movie review wrong with one simple Trivia for everyone to hear. Take that Robert Ebert!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Comeback
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris Farley suffered from atherosclerosis, a heart problem that is said to have contributed to his death by drug overdose.

Patrick, as related near the beginning of the episode, was recently discovered to have a heart defect.

Don't do drugs, Patrick. We love ya.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vannoy
United States
Shreve
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Comeback wrote:
Chris Farley suffered from atherosclerosis, a heart problem that is said to have contributed to his death by drug overdose.

Patrick, as related near the beginning of the episode, was recently discovered to have a heart defect.

Don't do drugs, Patrick. We love ya.

Or hookers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
The key to understanding the trivia is to recognize that the famous film reviewer is named Roger Ebert, not Robert Ebert, as Robb said in the episode.

The change was not an error, but a subtle clue to help us focus on another change involving a Robert -- Rob Lowe's exclusion from Tommy Boy. Lowe was excluded, Robb reminds us, because he was also working on The Stand at the time, in which he played a deaf mute.

Lowe is also known for his work on The West Wing, where he played a character named Sam Seaborn. In the third season episode "The U.S. Poet Laureate," Sam tells someone that the first thing he's looking for in a candidate is "a mind at work."

Like Lowe in the Stand and The West Wing, the game The Mind required that you be deaf and mute and that you look for a mind at work while you play. It was a big hit and perhaps the most surprising game from the con to be discussed on the show.

ASIDE:
I thought it was an especially nice touch to use this reference since the name Sam Seaborn inspired the naming of the character Sam Seabury in the musical Hamilton, and the phrase "looking for a mind at work" is the central theme in one of the songs in the play. By focusing the episode on two-player games and using in the Tommy Boy → Rob Lowe → West Wing → Hamilton connection, I took it as a fairly obvious congratulatory message to my wife and me, who are celebrating our 17th wedding anniversary this weekend by going to see Hamilton. Thanks, Pegs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
The key to understanding the trivia is to recognize that the famous film reviewer is named Roger Ebert, not Robert Ebert, as Robb said in the episode.

The change was not an error, but a subtle clue to help us focus on another change involving a Robert -- Rob Lowe's exclusion from Tommy Boy. Lowe was excluded, Robb reminds us, because he was also working on The Stand at the time, in which he played a deaf mute.

Lowe is also known for his work on The West Wing, where he played a character named Sam Seaborn. In the third season episode "The U.S. Poet Laureate," Sam tells someone that the first thing he's looking for in a candidate is "a mind at work."

Like Lowe in the Stand and The West Wing, the game The Mind required that you be deaf and mute and that you look for a mind at work while you play. It was a big hit and perhaps the most surprising game from the con to be discussed on the show.

ASIDE:
I thought it was an especially nice touch to use this reference since the name Sam Seaborn inspired the naming of the character Sam Seabury in the musical Hamilton, and the phrase "looking for a mind at work" is the central theme in one of the songs in the play. By focusing the episode on two-player games and using in the Tommy Boy → Rob Lowe → West Wing → Hamilton connection, I took it as a fairly obvious congratulatory message to my wife and me, who are celebrating our 17th wedding anniversary this weekend by going to see Hamilton. Thanks, Pegs!

Also - Whenever my kids spill another thing in our van and create another stain or mark on the interior, I hear David Spade in my brain: "Oh great, melted chocolate inside the dash, that's really going to up the resale value."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCallen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little behind because of a giant work project, but I think I have it. I was at Origins and am now in Sandusky, where Tommy Boy was set, for work. So the only logical link is that some time during Origins I was sedated and implanted with multiple tracking devices by the Pegs. This might have started with Patrick just wanting more kitten pictures, but made all the Pegs realize they could better know what the listeners wanted if they went full, invasive data-mining. Josh will reveal himself to be the Black Mirrored Peg soon. Then get ready for the new segment, "Really, Really, Really Get to Know a Peghead" where they'll analyze our heart rate to find which games we find stressful, dietary habits to find snacks we eat at the table, finances to see which games we make should and shouldn't have purchased, and lies we've told to better learn our tells for deduction games.

You might not think that sounds great, but what other podcast would do this for you? Has Tom Vasel ever installed cameras in your home to get to know you better? There's like 10 people on the Secret Cabal but has even one of them ever rooted through your trash? Have the Brawling Brothers called in a bomb-threat to your work just to see how you react to high-stress situations? I didn't think so. This is how we know Blue-Peg Pink-Peg cares about us the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
no one gotten the link yet, will hold this off until Wednesday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vannoy
United States
Shreve
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games reviewed were 2 player games. David Spade and Chris Farley teamed up in several movies together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Beri
msg tools
So much dancing at Origins, i couldn't help but think of this Chris Farley gem/crystal.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/chippendales/3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owlbear
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I just wanna play more games
badge
Hoothoot GRRR!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! Figured it out! It's a trick trivia, the link is in the next episode, there's a pin in it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owlbear
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I just wanna play more games
badge
Hoothoot GRRR!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe people haven't written it specifically enough...

Trivia was about Tommy Boy.
Tommy Boy is a buddy film (2 people)
Tommy Boy was one of 3 films that Spade & Farley were in.
There are 3 Two-Player games reviewed this episode.

Just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCallen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tommy Boy = Origins
Black Sheep = Gen Con

Edit: Well poop. I'm at work and thought, "This might be a joke I can make later if I look into it a bit." But apparently my hand thought it was good enough to send. I guess I'll be expanding the list of body parts that have betrayed me beyond liver and knees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |