Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, made the trivia too obscure this episode. The link (I had in mind) was the following: In the movie Tommy Boy, Tommy Callahan was trying to save his family's company (Callahan Auto). We of course had our meet up at Callahan's...no trivia point awarded this episode....but there were a lot of cool links.

I was picking the creative link this episode....and this one tickled my fancy...

wombat929 wrote:
The key to understanding the trivia is to recognize that the famous film reviewer is named Roger Ebert, not Robert Ebert, as Robb said in the episode.

The change was not an error, but a subtle clue to help us focus on another change involving a Robert -- Rob Lowe's exclusion from Tommy Boy. Lowe was excluded, Robb reminds us, because he was also working on The Stand at the time, in which he played a deaf mute.

Lowe is also known for his work on The West Wing, where he played a character named Sam Seaborn. In the third season episode "The U.S. Poet Laureate," Sam tells someone that the first thing he's looking for in a candidate is "a mind at work."

Like Lowe in the Stand and The West Wing, the game The Mind required that you be deaf and mute and that you look for a mind at work while you play. It was a big hit and perhaps the most surprising game from the con to be discussed on the show.

ASIDE:
I thought it was an especially nice touch to use this reference since the name Sam Seaborn inspired the naming of the character Sam Seabury in the musical Hamilton, and the phrase "looking for a mind at work" is the central theme in one of the songs in the play. By focusing the episode on two-player games and using in the Tommy Boy → Rob Lowe → West Wing → Hamilton connection, I took it as a fairly obvious congratulatory message to my wife and me, who are celebrating our 17th wedding anniversary this weekend by going to see Hamilton. Thanks, Pegs!

I did screw up Roget Ebert's name, but not on purpose. I appreciated think link and Happy anniversary...you get the point this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
rookenoble wrote:

I did screw up Roget Ebert's name, but not on purpose. I appreciated think link and Happy anniversary...you get the point this week.

YES!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Alvarez
United States
Sellersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrBungle333 wrote:
Bees! The scene where they are being pulled over by the police and fake a bee attack to get the cops to leave. Oh, that relates to the Bees faction in CC. And was also brought up a couple times later on.
Yep - that's gotta be it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rookenoble wrote:
Oh man, made the trivia too obscure this episode. The link (I had in mind) was the following: In the movie Tommy Boy, Tommy Callahan was trying to save his family's company (Callahan Auto). We of course had our meet up at Callahan's...no trivia point awarded this episode....but there were a lot of cool links.

Gah! I'm a bit ashamed I couldn't make that connection...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Selander
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
garbagerunner wrote:
rookenoble wrote:

Gah! I'm a bit ashamed I couldn't make that connection...
I think it’s great that the trivia is obscure enough that it’s not figured out quickly, and occasionally having one that no one gets seems like the right balance.

This one was made a bit more challenging by the fact that the meet up location was not named in the episode. We had to recall that from prior episodes (or attendance!), which makes for a great two-step link.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  |