Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[I have not to this day read a single word from any of the Harry Potter novels. Yes, I like fantasy as a theme, but the hype that was Harry Potter repelled me rather than made it alluring. But I love board games. And I enjoy cooperative games tremendously. Deckbuilding fits my love for building rather than destroying in games in general. So when a buddy talked about Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle I was interested, albeit mildly. We played Book 1 and Book 2 in January of 2017 and whereas I was entertained I was also very far from convinced.]

My girlfriend grew up with Harry Potter. She is not nearly as avid a gamer as I am but I can get her to play games every now and again when:
- the theme fits her interests
- it is a cooperative game
- the game is not too complex or eases one into it
- the game has little downtime
So I asked the aforementioned buddy if I could borrow his copy of the game. He brought it on the 31st of May. Since then I have played the game 26 times, bought my very own copy, bought the expansion, sleeved the lot and have been on a hunt for those illusive promos (which is much tougher than I would like). My girlfriend and I have played an entire campaign and she has expressed an interest in playing another full campaign before diving into the expansion. It is, in other words, about time I write a review professing my love for the game.

1. What do you get?
The game offers a Legacy-like experience. Its players progress through the 7 Harry Potter books and experience how the heroes as well as the enemies they have to fight evolve. Opening the books (tuck boxes) gives you access to more game, more components and a more and more immersive experience. The components look and feel good (real metal!!!) and the box comes with a great inlay as well as dividers.

2. How does it play?
Essentially, the game is your standard deck builder:
You have a hand of cards, play them, buy new cards and end your turn. This means there is zero to no downtime and that the game offers loads of replayability. The further you get, the more cards are available for purchase and the less likely it is that your deck evolves in an identical way to previous games. Adding further replayability are the Dark Arts cards, Villain cards and their respective effects.

3. How challenging is it?
Truth be told the first few books were a bit of a breeze. Thankfully, the rules provide you with 2 options to crank up the difficulty level. Having said that, the game can be brutal if you are unlucky in your draws at a lower difficulty level too.

4. How accessible is it?
Very! Seriously, both my girlfriend and her sister picked up on how to play within minutes. I allowed them to discover which cards were best in which situation and I watched proudly how their decisions became better and better and how quite quickly, they managed to hold their own.

5. How does it compare to the books/films?
Obviously, I needed to consult others to answer this question, but the answer they gave me made me a happy camper. The books you find in the game actually reflect the books as they have been published.

6. Conclusion
I am hooked. I could play this game all day every day. I have bought the books and intend to read them all this summer. My girlfriend loves it and we will play the game loads of times. Whenever she is either still at work or doesn't feel like it, I can play the game single-handedly too. It really is a lovely, lovely game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Falling for Hogwarts Battle:
I cannot imagine a more enthusiastic review from someone who has never read the books.

For what it's worth, I enjoy the game too, but I bought it after reading the books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Ferré
Switzerland
Bern
Bern
flag msg tools
Re: Falling for Hogwarts Battle:
I am in a similar position: my girlfriend loves the Harry Potter universe, but she doesn't like board games. I can enjoy a Pandemic Iberia every now and them with her because it's a cooperative constructive experience, and she is pleased with that.

So I've just bought Hogwarts Battle and the expansion hoping she will be enlightened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aernout Casier
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCollector wrote:
I cannot imagine a more enthusiastic review from someone who has never read the books.

For what it's worth, I enjoy the game too, but I bought it after reading the books.

Thanks! I'll take that as a compliment

In a few weeks, I'll be playing the games after having read the books. I fear the fanboy in me might beawakened...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't read the books, but saw the movies. My wife was a moderate fan of the books and movies. We both quite enjoyed the game, although I really wish it were a bit shorter, and a bit less swingy. (Other threads go into great detail about fan variants to address the second issue, in particular.) It's a great gateway for HP fans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.