The 7th Continent» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Voracious Goddess: from fun to frustration rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeroen vdHorst
Netherlands
Gelderland
flag msg tools
So here our little story of our first trip to the 7th continent. Our tour operator: The Voracious Goddess.
I went with my lovely girlfriend. We played from April till June for 8 days/nights and with an average of 5-6 hours each. We spent approximately 38 hours in total on the continent.
The first 5 plays we both really enjoyed our trip. It was exiting. Exploring, hunting, eating, exploring, hunting and eating. Yes we knew the drill. We never died! We played by the rules and we managed ourselves well. But then we had to find some ‘things’ to lift the curse. And there the frustration started. We visited our greedy Goddess several times but she still wanted more. We thought we explored EVERYTHING and EVERYWHERE. But we still missed a certain ‘thing’.
We were stuck on this continent. What to do? We had no clue. There is no such thing as an escape plan or a free walk if you are lost in this game. So we came to the conclusion that there was only one solution: we had to reveal all the terrain cards to search for the missing clue or path we didn’t see. That was no fun. After hours laying all the cards of the continent in our living room we checked and checked which part we’ve missed. Finally there it was: a sneaky sidewalk in an icy place. Rats, we’ve been there! But stopped to early.
So our 7th continent trip ended in frustration. Because it lasted sooo long and we couldn’t find that one thing. Now we‘ve seen the whole island/continent and there is no surprise anymore for us to explore the other scenarios.
This is our comment: Voracious Goddess is not a good starting scenario. It’s too long and the map on the clue card is misleading. But most of all: there is a chance that if you are unlucky and choose wrong you can wander forever on this tedious island.

So thank you for listening. I am good now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. F. Lewis
United States
flag msg tools
badge
This is Bloodmane (as depicted by Todd Lockwood) from my novel Grudgebearer.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry the Goddess was so mean to you guys at the end.

Which curse are you going to try next or are you taking a break for a while?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
There will be no explanation.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeroen vd Horst wrote:
So here our little story of our first trip to the 7th continent. Our tour operator: The Voracious Goddess.
I went with my lovely girlfriend. We played from April till June for 8 days/nights and with an average of 5-6 hours each. We spent approximately 38 hours in total on the continent.
The first 5 plays we both really enjoyed our trip. It was exiting. Exploring, hunting, eating, exploring, hunting and eating. Yes we knew the drill. We never died! We played by the rules and we managed ourselves well. But then we had to find some ‘things’ to lift the curse. And there the frustration started. We visited our greedy Goddess several times but she still wanted more. We thought we explored EVERYTHING and EVERYWHERE. But we still missed a certain ‘thing’.
We were stuck on this continent. What to do? We had no clue. There is no such thing as an escape plan or a free walk if you are lost in this game. So we came to the conclusion that there was only one solution: we had to reveal all the terrain cards to search for the missing clue or path we didn’t see. That was no fun. After hours laying all the cards of the continent in our living room we checked and checked which part we’ve missed. Finally there it was: a sneaky sidewalk in an icy place. Rats, we’ve been there! But stopped to early.
So our 7th continent trip ended in frustration. Because it lasted sooo long and we couldn’t find that one thing. Now we‘ve seen the whole island/continent and there is no surprise anymore for us to explore the other scenarios.
This is our comment: Voracious Goddess is not a good starting scenario. It’s too long and the map on the clue card is misleading. But most of all: there is a chance that if you are unlucky and choose wrong you can wander forever on this tedious island.

The first time you make it to the Goddess, she gives you a pretty detailed clue indicating where the two items can be found. Did you ignore it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hover Harder
badge
You hoverin'?
mbmbmbmbmb
It may have made sense to reconsider your method of finding the answer. You seem familiar with BGG and could have asked for hints here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
Jeroen vd Horst wrote:

The first time you make it to the Goddess, she gives you a pretty detailed clue indicating where the two items can be found. Did you ignore it?

Yeah, the clue from the Goddess is all I needed to find the things she required. There is an issue if you go to her with some, but not all of the things she requires... that provides no clue and unless you try to ask the question differently, you'll never get the helpful clue. I'm hoping they address this in the upcoming 2nd edition, but haven't heard if that is part of the Errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zjhomrighaus wrote:
RageGoblin wrote:
Jeroen vd Horst wrote:

Yeah, the clue from the Goddess is all I needed to find the things she required. There is an issue if you go to her with some, but not all of the things she requires... that provides no clue and unless you try to ask the question differently, you'll never get the helpful clue. I'm hoping they address this in the upcoming 2nd edition, but haven't heard if that is part of the Errata.

It's fixed, if you go with one she makes you pretend you have zero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
zjhomrighaus wrote:

Ah so this was a first edition issue. I know because when we found the goddess we already had 1 of the things she wanted and we were given a pretty explicit hint where the other would be hence I found it odd how OP didn't know where to go for it though now it makes sense. With the hint we were given we found it right quick though I can definitely see how it would be annoying if we were forced to search blindly for the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt MacEachern
United States
Phoenix
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is possible to get the clues, go to the right location, but fail the puzzle and not know that this meant you couldn't win unless you retake the puzzle.

You have to exit, save, and go back, requiring lots of extra hunting. There were some stupid things done in design.

Still love the game, but they got sloppy at the end of this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen vdHorst
Netherlands
Gelderland
flag msg tools
Writefaster wrote:
Sorry the Goddess was so mean to you guys at the end.

Which curse are you going to try next or are you taking a break for a while?

Thanks for your sorry.
We take a break now because we've seen it all. So we will forget.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen vdHorst
Netherlands
Gelderland
flag msg tools
RageGoblin wrote:
Jeroen vd Horst wrote:

Woo. What do you mean? We are not aware of these clues. So we did not ignore it but don't see them. Can you specifie were the clues are?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeroen vd Horst wrote:
RageGoblin wrote:
Jeroen vd Horst wrote:

Woo. What do you mean? We are not aware of these clues. So we did not ignore it but don't see them. Can you specifie were the clues are?

When you got to the Goddess, did you take an action there? If you take one of the actions, you draw a card... depending on whether you have certain items, you draw another card... on that card is a clue for how to find any items you may be missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen vdHorst
Netherlands
Gelderland
flag msg tools
zjhomrighaus wrote:
RageGoblin wrote:
Jeroen vd Horst wrote:

This is interesting (but also depressing). Sounds if we were the victim of this. Are there already Errata or are they in the making?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen vdHorst
Netherlands
Gelderland
flag msg tools
bobacles wrote:
It may have made sense to reconsider your method of finding the answer. You seem familiar with BGG and could have asked for hints here...
Yes maybe. But I searched a lot for this problem but couldn't find any clue. But it would be a question full of spoilers with a lot of explaining. And...my girlfriend has no patient anymore. I don't blame her after al this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen vdHorst
Netherlands
Gelderland
flag msg tools
zjhomrighaus wrote:
When you got to the Goddess, did you take an action there? If you take one of the actions, you draw a card... depending on whether you have certain items, you draw another card... on that card is a clue for how to find any items you may be missing.
Thanks Zachary for your help. It's hard to remember because we did a lot over a looong time. It gets blurry. The action was an offering I asume? It would be helpful if we knew which cards it was all about. So we can relive the moment robot
But it is very hard to find all the cards and relive the journey (they are all back in the box, so we can use the living room again).
At least this happened with us: the first time we met our demanding Goddess we had no preciousss (except a goat). No clue given. Then we had one. So we thought we made it because this curse symbol could now be used. But alas. No clue given. Then we searched the rest of this world. And searched. The rest you know from my original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucien Copus
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To be explicit but vague with nested spoilers
Spoiler (click to reveal)
When you reach the goddess
And use your clue card banner to interact with the statue
You get a mission
But in 1st edition, if you managed to partially complete this mission in advance of reaching her
She assumed you'd already heard the mission, and gives no more clues, leaving you stuck with no info.

This is fixed in the errata/second edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gitis
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Always check here before you start a new game.
https://the7thcontinent.seriouspoulp.com/en/resources/errata

make sure your cards are up to date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeroen vd Horst wrote:
zjhomrighaus wrote:
Thanks Zachary for your help. It's hard to remember because we did a lot over a looong time. It gets blurry. The action was an offering I asume? It would be helpful if we knew which cards it was all about. So we can relive the moment robot
But it is very hard to find all the cards and relive the journey (they are all back in the box, so we can use the living room again).
At least this happened with us: the first time we met our demanding Goddess we had no preciousss (except a goat). No clue given. Then we had one. So we thought we made it because this curse symbol could now be used. But alas. No clue given. Then we searched the rest of this world. And searched. The rest you know from my original post.

It's been a while since I played that curse, but if memory serves:

You interact with the statue when you have neither of the eyes and it tell you some story about previous explorers walking 3 days North, 5 days East and the other explorers walking 6 days East and 1 day South (or something like that). That's the clue, it tells you which map tile you need to explore to find the eyes. One leads to the cave and the other to the ice cave.

Does that sound familiar? Maybe you didn't make the connection
between the directions and the locations of the eyes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the map pretty helpful, but the VG's clues seemed ambiguous to me. I knew I'd be pissed if I spent days wandering around trying to find the right place, so I just looked up a spoiler online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is exactly where we are-we haven’t found the goods.

Haven’t explored the whole island though.

So in the clue
the north east west directional instructions, does that start from one of the three starting spots after tutorial island or from the card you are in when you get it
?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
bdean152 wrote:
That is exactly where we are-we haven’t found the goods.

Haven’t explored the whole island though.

So in the clue
the north east west directional instructions, does that start from one of the three starting spots after tutorial island or from the card you are in when you get it
?

The clue card (map) shows a path from Tutorial Island to the Godess statue.

The Goddess clue gives you two new paths. The statue is the start point of those two paths, one for each item you will need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya I got the map on the clue card

I’ll have to look at the later clue again couldn’t tell there were two

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen vdHorst
Netherlands
Gelderland
flag msg tools
It's been a while since I played that curse, but if memory serves:

You interact with the statue when you have neither of the eyes and it tell you some story about previous explorers walking 3 days North, 5 days East and the other explorers walking 6 days East and 1 day South (or something like that). That's the clue, it tells you which map tile you need to explore to find the eyes. One leads to the cave and the other to the ice cave.

Does that sound familiar? Maybe you didn't make the connection
between the directions and the locations of the eyes?

Last Tuesday (before your latest post) I relived my encounter with Miss Gem-eyes (I don't mean my girlfriend). I searched the VG cards and laid them back on the floor to find the clue.

SOOOO! The WHOLE GAME is ALL ABOUT UNDERSTANDING and INTERPRETING THIS ONE CARD:
angry ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY AND EIGHT cry

I am frustrated. Again. Because we interpreted this card not as a clue to the direction of her eyes but as some story/flavour. We tried to link this mumbo jumbo hallucination, because of the loincloth people, to our History of the 7th Continent cards that we have in our satchel. Once we were on that thought direction we never thought otherwise.

Further: this cursed clue card should be a satchel item, because it is a temporary we put it away and we didn't look at it anymore.

Feel also a little stupid. We did several Unlock games and all the TIME Stories (except Estrella Drive) and these are full of puzzles. But here in this Exploration and Hunting Fest we didn't expect a puzzle like this.

My Final Thought after all this: This game has a flaw. If you miss to interpret the text on this crucial card the game is broken. Those who do wander forever on this continent. Till they stranded on BGG.

Thank you everyone who contributed on this post and helped us to lift (partially) this After Game Curse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Hover Harder
badge
You hoverin'?
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeroen vd Horst wrote:
bobacles wrote:
Yes maybe. But I searched a lot for this problem but couldn't find any clue. But it would be a question full of spoilers with a lot of explaining. And...my girlfriend has no patient anymore. I don't blame her after al this time.

I understand! Certainly, you should not go back to your girlfriend with this after this amount of time. Otherwise, you may have a new problem that you will need to go to a different kind of forum for...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I wouldn't say the game is "flawed", but I agree this is a critical point in the Curse.

I also agree that the process would be improved if the "story" Clue was changed into a Satchel card that could be easily referenced at a later time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zachary Homrighaus
United States
Clarendon Hills
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:
I wouldn't say the game is "flawed", but I agree this is a critical point in the Curse.

I also agree that the process would be improved if the "story" Clue was changed into a Satchel card that could be easily referenced at a later time.

Yeah, I think this is the challenge with any sort of puzzle game. If you make the clue really obvious, it's not a challenge and people feel cheated. On the other hand, if you make it too hard, we hear a lot more stories like this. Balance is hard since the developers can't really know what sort of people will play the game or how they may interpret any given clue/hint. It's a really tough line to navigate.

Perhaps having some sort of nested clues where if you've rested and try to talk to the statue again, you get a different, more explicit clue so you at least give people a chance to try, fail and get help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |