Popular Tags: [View All]
bayard catron
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If the other players' words have been exposed and mine is the only one left, should the player two seats to my right be able to ask me to expose a card if he draws "The player to your left must expose a card"? In other words, does this effect skip a player whose word is completely revealed? I didn't think so but my family insisted on me exposing a letter even though I was not directly to that player's left. I think they just didn't want me to keep my word hidden!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bayard wrote:
In other words, does this effect skip a player whose word is completely revealed? I didn't think so but my family insisted on me exposing a letter even though I was not directly to that player's left.
In a strictly literal interpretation you would have reason to be indignant. But what is the intended purpose of these cards ? I suggest it is to keep the game from stalling out. So I find no big problem with the other players insisting it fell to you, and especially so since you were the last one unsolved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Finger Lakes region
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aside:
Quote:
I think they just didn't want me to keep my word hidden!
well that is the whole focus of the game, isn't it ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bayard catron
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! And one even gets a bonus for keeping one's word hidden. When only one player has letters hidden, the other players each get two more turns then the game ends. I was so close to success! Ah well. It was fun. I still like this game! I think it's seeing a bit of a resurgence in my family, we used to play it way back when. I have a list of 20 or so good "Probe words" ready to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bayard catron
United States
North Potomac
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand that the "expose a card" card is there to help crack really tough words, but as I was the last player with hidden letters the game was about to end anyway. I'm torn on whether these cards should affect players more than one person away. Yes, in a sense EVERY player is "on your left" if you keep going around clockwise. But only one player is directly on your left no matter whose words are exposed. What do others think about this card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
bayard wrote:
I understand that the "expose a card" card is there to help crack really tough words, but as I was the last player with hidden letters the game was about to end anyway. I'm torn on whether these cards should affect players more than one person away. Yes, in a sense EVERY player is "on your left" if you keep going around clockwise. But only one player is directly on your left no matter whose words are exposed. What do others think about this card?

I agree, player on your left is player on your left. Otherwise, if played as suggested by the OP's opponents, player on your right is player on your left. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls