Subject: July 2018 Metro Vancouver No-Ship Math Trade - Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grand Prince Poutine Lord High Thrifter
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
Microbadge: Rush fan
Please use this thread for questions, comments, et cetera on the July 2018 Metro Vancouver No-Ship Math Trade.

• Trade geeklist: July 2018 Metro Vancouver No-Ship Math Trade

• Request geeklist: July 2018 Metro Vancouver No-Ship Math Trade - Request List

• Deadlines: Posting games (Monday, 23 July 2018 at 22:00 PDT) & Want list submissions (Friday, 27 July 2018 at 22:00 PST)

Where & When Do We Meet:

Sunday, 29 July 2018 at 15:30 PST

In room 401 at City Centre Library
10350 University Drive
Surrey (adjacent to Central City Mall)

There is lots of free parking and it is very close to both Skytrain and bus routes. If, for any reason, you are not able to meet at the appointed time and place, it is your responsibility to make alternate arrangements with your trading counterpart(s). Furthermore, in this case, you must be able to meet up within one week of the end of the math trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Please support the International Diplomacy Repository -- where your donations of Diplomacy games are always happily accepted!
I will update this thread when we're live on the OLWLG.

We are now live on the OLWLG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam NoName
Canada
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Kenneth, do we need to do anything special about deleting items? I don't want to screw up the software.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Nope, nothing special. Delete items if you need to. Thanks for asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm having a hard time with BGG. Hopefully this post works!

1. I was thinking it would be super awesome to put a box out to collect food for the local food bank. No pressure to participate in this, i'll just put a box out and whatever we collect will be donated. We have a decent number of people usually so this might work out (and be a pretty darn nice thing!)

2. I will be bringing a few games to put into a free game pile. It's a great way to make some space in the collection. Last time I did this I held some stuff. This time I will just put things out and its first come first serve.

Everyone should feel free to bring things they don't like and maybe someone will take it off your hands. Anything that doesn't get claimed can go back to it's home or we can donate it to somewhere.

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
dekedagger wrote:
I'm having a hard time with BGG. Hopefully this post works!

1. I was thinking it would be super awesome to put a box out to collect food for the local food bank. No pressure to participate in this, i'll just put a box out and whatever we collect will be donated. We have a decent number of people usually so this might work out (and be a pretty darn nice thing!)

2. I will be bringing a few games to put into a free game pile. It's a great way to make some space in the collection. Last time I did this I held some stuff. This time I will just put things out and its first come first serve.

Everyone should feel free to bring things they don't like and maybe someone will take it off your hands. Anything that doesn't get claimed can go back to it's home or we can donate it to somewhere.

Thanks all!
Juxtatype approves (and heartily supports) this message!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Fort St James
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
Microbadge: BloggerMicrobadge: FeminismMicrobadge: PolyamorousMicrobadge: Tea drinkerMicrobadge: Every true 18xx fan knows you should use $20 chips
I'm wholly on board with both of these, with one minor exception:

dekedagger wrote:
Anything that doesn't get claimed can go back to it's home or we can donate it to somewhere.
Are you volunteering to organise such a donation?

Because if not, people need to come prepared to take their crap games home, and not leave them for "someone" to clean up / throw out.

(I may have some number of such games to donate, myself.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Larsen
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I will take (and donate) anything abandoned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Stewart
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dekedagger wrote:
Yes, I will take (and donate) anything abandoned.
I was actually thinking of suggesting that. Bring a big box, fill it fulla whatever anyone doesn't want for everyone to paw through, whatever is left over goes to Toy Traders, and then give Nathan the equivalent cash for dealing with booking the library room for all of us.

Nathan, if you want to take care of that yourself, I'll at least help you carry the box out to your vehicle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Ok, it looks like everyone is waiting to see what will happen to their games at the big swap meet this weekend. Presumably, all the unsold stuff will appear here afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Huynh
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may be in the minority but sometimes I think the listing period is a little long too. I participate in the Canada math trade which is open for about a week and the same trends happen, lots of posts up front and lots of posts in the last couple days.

But yeah it just so happens that there is a big buy sell event this time, so I don’t want to list games just to have to delete them when they trade or sell this weekend. When I saw the math trade posted early July I had hoped that the meet up would be at the buy and sell. That would have been convenient, and then you could sell stuff that didn’t trade.

Anyway, always grateful for the no-ship math trade though, just sometimes wish the listing period was shorter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
katanan wrote:
I may be in the minority but sometimes I think the listing period is a little long too. I participate in the Canada math trade which is open for about a week and the same trends happen, lots of posts up front and lots of posts in the last couple days.

But yeah it just so happens that there is a big buy sell event this time, so I don’t want to list games just to have to delete them when they trade or sell this weekend. When I saw the math trade posted early July I had hoped that the meet up would be at the buy and sell. That would have been convenient, and then you could sell stuff that didn’t trade.

Anyway, always grateful for the no-ship math trade though, just sometimes wish the listing period was shorter.
A couple of points...

1. I also would have preferred to have the math trade meet-up at the swap meet, but some extenuating circumstances prevented that. I will endeavour to arrange that next July.

2. I am certainly open to shortening the listing period. I would welcome the input of others on the topic. Regardless, a long or short listing period doesn't alter anyone's ability to list games. Anyway, happy to hear some other voices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
Microbadge: So Very Wrong About Games fanMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
I think a 2 week posting window would be plenty of time. I haven't posted yet as I have some days off coming up, so I just decided to wait until then to go through everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Donkers
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is anyone else having problems with the OLWLG page today? I'm getting a 500 internal server error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
redonkulous272 wrote:
Is anyone else having problems with the OLWLG page today? I'm getting a 500 internal server error.
BGG has partly broken the OLWLG. There are some problems, but JeffyJeff (the guys who runs it) is working diligently to resolve it on his end. Anyway, the list has been successfully re-synced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lutz
Canada
Chilliwack
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Cat lover
Is there any appetite to change the meet up to an evening time, like a Friday? The Saturday/Sunday days are almost impossible for me and it looks to be the same for this meetup as well. I hate to always look for proxy's (though I provide Tims cards for their troubles) but I find it more and more difficult due to my Wife's schedule and 2 young children under 2.

But I fully get its whats best for the masses, just wanted to add my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
mancora wrote:
Is there any appetite to change the meet up to an evening time, like a Friday? The Saturday/Sunday days are almost impossible for me and it looks to be the same for this meetup as well. I hate to always look for proxy's (though I provide Tims cards for their troubles) but I find it more and more difficult due to my Wife's schedule and 2 young children under 2.

I'm open to the discussion for future trades, but not for this particular trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lutz
Canada
Chilliwack
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Battlestar Galactica - I am a CylonMicrobadge: Gloomhaven fanMicrobadge: Parent of Two BoysMicrobadge: Math TraderMicrobadge: Cat lover
Juxtatype wrote:
mancora wrote:

I'm open to the discussion for future trades, but not for this particular trade.
Oh, I wouldn't dream of asking to change this trade. Just maybe the next one if there is interest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
THE DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTING GAMES IS TONIGHT (MONDAY) AT 10 (ish).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Ok, the geeklist is locked down. The window for wantlists is now open! You've got until Friday night.

Due to the computer issues between BGG and the OLWLG, some things are going to look wonky on the OLWLG. That's ok. The trade will still work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
Microbadge: So Very Wrong About Games fanMicrobadge: 'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
Juxtatype wrote:
Ok, the geeklist is locked down. The window for wantlists is now open! You've got until Friday night.

Due to the computer issues between BGG and the OLWLG, some things are going to look wonky on the OLWLG. That's ok. The trade will still work.
Does wonky mean blank names? Because I thought those were deleted items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
You're right about the blank names, but I was referring to sweetener links not appearing correctly in the OLWLG. Super annoying, but it's out of my control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Fort St James
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
Microbadge: BloggerMicrobadge: FeminismMicrobadge: PolyamorousMicrobadge: Tea drinkerMicrobadge: Every true 18xx fan knows you should use $20 chips
You know what would be really great? If people would SUBSCRIBE TO THEIR ITEMS so they could SEE WHEN THERE ARE QUESTIONS and ANSWER THOSE QUESTIONS.

(If you think you're being called out here ... you probably are!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Vancouver
flag msg tools
badge
Your munificent math trade moderator heartily endorses this sentiment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lutz
Canada
Chilliwack
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Just so no stone is left unturned, I wanted to check to see if there were a 3rd or 4th option for a proxy in the event my
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools

and #2
Paul Weirich
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

do not make any trades, is there anyone else close to Chilliwack that would be open to being my proxy? I can meet up sometime on Saturday probably night or possibly morning to facilitate this.

Thanks everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |