Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: oregon [+] [View All]
A
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey folks; I'm a long time browser of this site, but I've just moved to Eugene to go to law school and was wondering if anyone could direct me toward some place that hosts some good board gaming sessions or anything like that. I know there are a few game shops around, but I haven't had the opportunity to check anything out yet. Oh, and weekends are kind of necessary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So where are the shops? So I can add it to FLGS of the World - A List of Game Store Advice on BGG cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Goldstein
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I am from Los Angeles, and my brother challenged me to find a game for him.
Sean Prescott, CthuluSpitt, had a copy and on my recent trip to Eugene for a wedding, we made the hand off. He seemed like a great guy, all except for his T-shirt which had this odd octopus headed thing on it...scary. (kidding)

"There are a few stores in Eugene. Evolution Gaming is great for atmosphere and Addictive Behaviors is cheapest. Those are the two I go to."

I bet Sean would make a great welcome wagon-er.

http://boardgamegeek.com/user/CthulhuSpitt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Welcome to Eugene. Most game days are in private homes. Here are a few links that might be helpful.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/EugeneGamesGala/
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/WVGS/?yguid=7612368
What kind of games do you like?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Prescott
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sensed my name being invoked..... (Thanks Barry. you get 5vp victory points)

Welcome to Eugene.

As Lorna said above, most gaming circles around here are word-of-mouth, play-at-someones-house type groups. There is a group I go to on the third Saturday of every month. It is at a friend of mine's house. His name is Trent. Let me know if your interested and I will GM you the info.

There are all sorts of gamers here in town and all sorts of games being played. So, I will re-itterate what Lorna said. What games do you like/play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey, thanks for the welcome and the links folks.

In terms of preferences, I'm relatively new to board gaming overall. I own (though sadly haven't had them shipped yet) War of the Ring, Settlers of Catan, Fury of Dracula, Axis & Allies. War of the Ring is what really got me started realizing what was actually out there in terms of games. I (as you can probably tell) enjoy thematic games, but I'm very much open to anything. I've been itching to play Puerto Rico, Twilight Struggle and A Game of Thrones. I have also been interested in Arkham Horror, Zombies (not sure if I'd like it, but definitely want to give it a go) and would love to get my hands on a copy of Dune, as that sounds awesome.

Also, I've played one game of Diplomacy over the internet and absolutely loved it; haven't really ever had a chance to orchestrate a face-to-face game.

That's kind of a wide range of games, but maybe you can kind of distill that down. Main thing is that I'm open to anything!

EDIT: Oh, and I've also been known to play Magic and a bit of roleplaying (love it, but that's been a while at this point).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bushi 96
United States
Coburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I didnt realize there were so many gamers in Eugene! I thought I was in a wasteland for gaming. Me and my wife play Puerto Rico, Battlelore, Formula De, Heroscape and others. Being parents, our time is pretty limited, but we have talked about getting a gaming group together during the winter months. Evolution gaming- you cant beat the people. They are the best. They have a boardgame night on Thursdays. And they have offered to allow us to set up Heroscape on their tables! Prices are decent, but admittedly, cant beat the Internet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Sokolowski
United States
Carmichael
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy! I'm new to the area as well... working in Springfield and living in Brownsville. Starting next month I should be able to game a couple nights a month, and would love to find a regular group.

I pretty much play everything except the really light stuff. I love the meaty Euros, the Ameritrash, the Wargames, and everything in between. I'm also a long-time role-player, but am pretty picky about the genre and games that I play.

I have also been seeking local game shops, so will certainly be heading down to Evolution soon. I'm thinking I should have Wednesdays and/or Saturdays available... drop me a line!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tami Whitsett
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I moved away from Corvallis, OR about 6 years ago (9/8/01), and there were a few gaming opportunities there. I don't know which (if any) of these are still going, but you could check them out.

Matt's Cavalcade of Comics on NW Kings used to host something at Woodstock's Pizza right next door to them... I think Friday or Saturdays, but don't quite remember.

Downtown, there was a Magic shop that I know went out of business, but a new shop went in- I think it's called Merlyn's Games or something like that. Also in downtown, there was a game shop called Pegasus Games.

Matt (from Matt's Cavalcade) also had started doing a gaming convention at the Corvallis Fair Grounds, though I don't know if that was a one-time thing or now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TamiWhitsett wrote:

Matt (from Matt's Cavalcade) also had started doing a gaming convention at the Corvallis Fair Grounds, though I don't know if that was a one-time thing or now.

Yes, they still have "Just a Con" and there is some info at the two websites I listed above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Corbin
United States
Tigard / Lake O.
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Reviving the thread to see who's still around...

I live in Springfield and more or less fell out of the gaming scene when I moved here from Corvallis two years ago... those church brats I'm supposed to be associating with don't like real games.

I know of one group that occasionally meets in Springfield (that my dad and his wife are involved with), one that I steered clear of after the person telling me about it added "420 friendly" to the list of features, and stopped going to Trent's when he moved to the new place. Any other younger crowds that like to play sober?

[I've got a new copy of Titan that's just begging to be played!]

-SRC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use the BGG Gamer Finder

I currently don't play with anyone but my wife and my roommates. I don't invite anyone to my apartment (size, location, lack of furniture, and embarrassment). I haven't looked hard to find any gamers. Keep running into potheads, ultra nerds who only play 8 hour dicefests, munchkin/zombies lovers, and once in a blue moon snacks and light euroe gamers. None of those are particularly bad, but I get adequate gaming already.

If anyone runs across this and wants to invite me over for a game I'll happily oblige (couldn't let a fellow gamer go without gaming). Ignore my harsh ratings. I love games, and am a fun guest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
/geeklist/240879
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, I'm just getting more seriously into gaming this year after being introduced by my friend Chris (cdefrisco) whom I work with but he's in Ashland and only visits the area every month or two. He always brings games to play so I've gotten to sample a bunch.

Generally, I only play with my wife and/or kids, and my parents from WA when we're visiting.

I've recently done some research using the finder tool mentioned and noticed a number of people in the area, but have yet to contact anyone.

I DID sign up for my first EGG (Eugene Games Gala http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/EugeneGamesGala/ ) on the weekend of Jan 30th - Feb 1st, so figured that would be my way to start meeting up with people. That group also has a game day listed for the 20th so check it out (I won't be able to).

But, if there are any invites to be had before then, I'm interested. I'm a sober game player as well and prefer sober (or only light drinkers) to play with.

Bob mentioned some great games that I've either played already or want to play. I love learning new games and playing just about anything. (I'm not much into role playing, however, although coop sounds interesting)

My list of games I own is currently somewhat limited, but I have a number of games waiting 'under the tree' that won't be available to play until January (you can see most of them on my OWNED list, but I don't OWN them quite yet )

I'm also up for 2-player games for anyone interested (I love head-to-head gaming)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Corbin
United States
Tigard / Lake O.
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
I'm happy to host if enough people want to show up. 2 tables, 10 chairs, plenty of space... anyone interested, send me a message saying when you're available. [during/after holidays breakdown may be useful]

I have a dog. Caffeine is the only allowed recreational drug.

-Sam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope you can all make it to EGG at the end of Jan. I do also set up free game days on a Saturday about 3 times a year open to the community, we usually have between 20 and 30 gamers at those events -kids ok at the community game days. I post the info for those on the Yahoo group and usually make an announcement on the geek.

Because of my work schedule, my availabilty on weekends is iffy, but if I'm not working I'm usually up for something. I prefer Euros and enjoy a variety of games. If anyone would like to set something up drop me a geekmail

Lorna

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Turner
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
Hello. I'm also in Eugene and looking for local game players, primarily for Federation Commander (www.federationcommander.com), but am up for other board games as well. I have room at home for two or three people (would want to meet somewhere public first, for coffee or something). I'm very happy to teach Federation Commander and new players are encouraged. I was beginning to think that Eugene was pretty light for board gamers before finding this thread. Thanks,

Garrett

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Watts
msg tools
I was looking to buy from CCGObsession (under the store name Addictive Behaviors), does anyone know if it is still in business in Eugene, Oregon?

Thanks.

Also, a phone number or website would be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eugene Games Gala is Feb 5-7 this year. Taking registration now. If anyone is interested drop me a geekmail
lorna

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Peterson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
I am also new to Eugene. Here is what I found. Pair of dice Paradice is holding a Game Day. See the following link. At that event I will be introducing my new Football Board Game and I am looking for 4 testers. This is an entirely volunteer event. http://www.meetup.com/Pair-of-Dice-Paradise/events/231098146...

Please come if you would be interested in playing any board game but especially if you would like to try out Ultimate Football. Please reply if you are interested in being a coach to one of the teams. Currently we have only one prototype available so we will be playing short games. 8 minute quarters instead of the usually 15 minute quarters. Here is a link to a picture of Ultimate Fooball on it's Facebook Page. https://www.facebook.com/UltimateFootballboardgame/?fref=ts

We are preparing for a Kickstarter event soon. Ultimate Football won the Game Design Contest at the KublaCon Game Convention in San Francisco. It is Educational, Easy to play, and simulates football better that any other Desktop football game has ever done. Here is a link to an evaluation by a Football Coach. http://www.ultimateboardgames.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03...

See you there.

Robert Peterson
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls