Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

GMT COIN Series» Forums » General

Subject: COINquistador rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I am just thinking that the old SPI/AH game Conquistador could work in a COIN makeover.

Not so much that it is an counter insurgency but just using the COIN engine.

Four European players Spain, France, England and Portugal compete for the new world. Actions like explore, loot/conquer and settle would be the same for each player. Special actions would differentiate the powers.

The new world is divided in areas with different terrain type. Each area has a population level. Population ranges from supportive to opposed. The population level would change depending on actions/events.

Alternatively it may work with Pericles engine. Not too sure about the politics but the idea of sending missions to distant theaters has an appeal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Edelstein
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Microbadge: I love solo gaming!Microbadge: Strange AttractorMicrobadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: Roses are red...Microbadge: Copper Reviewer
It would be interesting to see COIN adapted to great power struggles like the colonization of the New World, but I think you'd have to play fast & loose with the historical narrative, which covers about three hundred years. There are other aspects of great power diplomacy that would be hard to represent without a lot of chrome, as well. Not to say I wouldn't play it, it just seems like a real challenge to adapt the COIN engine in this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The original Conquistador was highly abstracted as well. It covered 1495-1600. Historically the first English colony went in the 1580s about 90 years after the Spanish. I think most games involving such a grand narrative will have an historical flavour rather than a be hugely accurate.

After seeing all the different COIN games I think that the engine can handle it. Each player will be pursuing their own objectives, compete with the others for scarce resources and thwart each others plans to win. The concept of different types of missions also suits the COIN engine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls