Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Tonge
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Hi all, I have RAF and love that game but it's a longer game than this. This looks like it'll scratch that itch but in less time. That said I think it's missing a little bit of important detail.

#1 ME109
Should really only have a range of 3-4 hexes. I'll go with 4 and simply say that after this, they've gone home.

#2 Radar stopping Germans
Is a bit weird when combined with fuel use. I want to try allowing the intercept as normal, in the radar zone it happens, but rolled immediately, and then let the German complete their move. That will then potentially allow a RAF fighter to dogfight against them, but combined with not stopping them over the coast is probably about even. They can always choose to not move further. Plus, combat markers are still the limiting factor.

#3 Speed of German flights, no big deal really but paired with the alteration I'm going to try with ME109, making the Germans move 4 hexes fits better.

Anybody think this will break the game?
Be interested in comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
and symo
Australia
Northcote
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don’t know whether it will break the game but I can see the following consequences:

1. You will lose the risk/ reward decision making around whether to keep the fighters with the bombers.

2. German flights can be attacked twice in a turn which the game was not tuned for. Is the ground gained worth the extra potential losses? You are also removing one of the ‘abstracted benefits’ of radar which is to slow the German flights down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember time scale. The game represents the different phases of the campaign (July - Sept. 1940) in just 12 turns - so each turn sort of represents a week. I think your comments could be applied to a sortie-level game, but not the abstract BoB.

Richard Borg's Command & Colours games attract similar suggestions to add micr detail, but to me they don't fit and I find the games as is provides the right level of decision making and choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Tonge
United Kingdom
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
We ended up playing with just a limit on ME109 range and we binned fuel altogether.

Trouble is, there really isn't a whole lot of game there.
We collectively decided it was OK, but not a great deal for the Brit to actually do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Veenenberg
Netherlands
Vinkeveen
flag msg tools
Stuart,

The game is all about:

A). the Luftwaffe player allocating 6 or 7 mission cards to his 6 or 7 flights while taking care of the right composition of those flights so that at least 3 bombers are present. The mission targets can all be reached with 5 and then 10 squares from any airfield.

B). The 6 radar stations and Hawkinge airfield on the South Coast can be all reached and bombed in 1 turn, but all other targets will cost the Luftwaffe player 2 turns: flying 1-5 squares and be intercepted on a radar line square for 5 out of 7 flights in the 1st week and then flying 1-10 squares in the 2nd week to the target square with a dogfight before bombing. Flights that are not intercepted may complete their move of 5 squares, some being able to bomb their target without any opposition.

In the game a knocked out radar station on the South Coast gives the Luftwaffe player almost carte blanche to fly unopposed to their targets if within range of 5 squares!! The RAF MUST prevent this at all cost.

If you are able to accept that a mission is no daily mission as in reality but each German flight can perform about an average of 7 missions in a campaign (on certain days within the 12 weeks) it IS a abstract but sound system which a focus on Luftwaffe mission planning/allocation, Luftwaffe and RAF movement tactics, RAF interceptions and dogfights and RAF rebuilding their losses.

To add more history than add next rules to improve the game:

Except for 2 Gruppen of Me 109 E-7's of LF2 and 2 Gruppen of Ju87's of LF3 all other Me109's and all Ju87's barely reached London in reality. German player may keep a max of 2 Me10's and 2 Ju87's within flights if the target is in Sector 12, all remaining Me109's or Stuka's must be placed on their flights airfields.

Germans had 1 Me110 and 1 Me109 of LF2 which could perform attacks against radar towers, factories (cities) and airfields like Stuka's. So both may like a Stuka if no bombers are left in a fligth or bombers were not able to hit a target.
The Me110's follow rules for bombers if rolling dice when heading home and before combat the Me110's of LF2 and LF3 have a dogfight factor of 4 during interception and a damage strength factor of 3 in a dogfight.

Dorniers had a 1 bomb load against targets in 12th and 13th Sector.

In Scenario 2 and 3 the Luftwaffe player MAY chose his 3 cards in an interception but then his fighters have -1 on attack and defense values.

At start of each turn the RAF player may opt for rolling repair dice OR not rolling them and receiving 1 repair point per sector for 1-6 production points left 2 repair points for 7 or more production points left. If a city is damaged the repair capacity is the # repair points less the damage factor. So if London has 1 hit, the repair capacity still is 2.

At start of a new scenario in the campaign players may opt to leave out radar or airfield mission cards in the deck or keep them in the deck.
No aircraft and succesful mission cards are left out. Instead the RAF player may rebuilt 1 hit of each bombed city at start of a new scenario and the Luftwaffe player may exchange remaing LF5 aircraft cards with damaged ones of LF2 and add them to the Combat Ready deck of LF2.

I see no possiblity to alter the turn/movement mechanism. The 1st edition had 5 separate moves (of 5 chits with 1-5 squares each) per turn and there were 8 turns in a campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.