Tokaido» Forums » General

Subject: Fifth edition compatible with expansions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mohit Sharma
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi,
Interested in this game. I read that the 5th edition has a slightly different graphic design on the cards.
Do the card backs of the expansions match this version? Are the graphic design close enough that the expansion cards don't look too out of place?
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haley
United States
Scappoose
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I have from memory.

The New Encounters mini expansion will not mix well as the backs might be different.

Crossroads should be fine as everything in the expansion is in its own stacks of cards and is not mixed with the base cards.

I think Matsuri is the same as Crossroads, it just adds a new stack of cards and nothing is mixed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right about the cards from Crossroads and Matsuri, they may not match in art style but they'll work fine because they're always kept
in separate stacks.

But each expansion also adds some new characters (you end up with 4 times the original amount with both expnansions) and I'm not sure if the size and design of the character tiles is the same in the 5th edition, or if they made any changes to the iconography on the board that can make the previous characters' powers a bit confusing to understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mearendil wrote:
You're right about the cards from Crossroads and Matsuri, they may not match in art style but they'll work fine because they're always kept
in separate stacks.

But each expansion also adds some new characters (you end up with 4 times the original amount with both expansions) and I'm not sure if the size and design of the character tiles is the same in the 5th edition, or if they made any changes to the iconography on the board that can make the previous characters' powers a bit confusing to understand.

I don't have the 5th Anniversary edition but I have the retail release and the deluxe edition, and both of those have different art for the character cards, and I believe the 5th Anniversary is also different from the others, so they are all a bit different. I would guess you can still mix them since you're just randomly drawing them anyways, so even if you see the different backs when picking, it won't really matter much.

I asked in another thread if they were going to be putting out new 5th anniversary expansions to match the artwork of the 5th anniversary release, but nobody ever answered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it's just a difference in art style in some of the cards, not in function, so the game will still work the same and be totally playable because the rules and the effects of the cards haven´t changed, and almost all of them (save for two Crossroads items) are kept in separate draw piles and always forme their own collections.

But some character powers and card interactions may be less intuitive to read if you mix the new game with the old expansions and some icons or card art don't match with the first edition (and some of those character powers were already pretty obscure and needed a crib sheet to understand them before). Or they may still work 100% fine if they took care of keeping the important icons unchanged in the new version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Did they ever come out with the updated 5th anniversary expansions? They said that would be coming but that was quite a while ago and I haven't heard anything more about it:

"While the changes will be noticeable, they won’t stop past expansions from being compatible with the new edition – eventually, the expansions will be revamped themselves to fit with the refreshed look."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I asked Funforge about this and received a reply back:

"We plan to update Crossroads in 2019. Concerning Matsuri we'll see later.
Old and new editions can be mixed. They all match together."

A 2nd email told me that Crossroads should hit retail by the end of the year with the new art, with Matsuri to follow next year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.