Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the Kickstarter live, I thought I share a couple quick thoughts on why I love Dawn of the Zeds. Perhaps, this will help a few people make a decision about backing the game. I know I almost missed out on this game. If I hadn't been a frequent listener of Ludology, I never would've heard of this game..

Scaling Difficulty:
The game starts at the basic level, to help you get the mechanics down. Zombie hordes race into town and you fight them off with out much challenge. Then, I went to the Outbreak Level 1. More mechanics get introduced healing, infection, outbreaks! I could not beat level 1 after three tries, but there was a learning curve. Things I could adapt to, in order to get better and better. Level 2, Apocalypse has been my sweet spot. This Chaos level introduces some great new heroes that have a minefield or another has a bunker, refugees that need protection. I'm about 1 out 4 at this level, and many games come down to the wire. I can't wait to go deeper into the game and get things like Research Cards or introducing the tunnel.

Thematic Events:
There are some memorable events that push the narrative of the story. Ah, cool we found a supply trailer. Or, Raiders show up rummaging through town, Refugees getting eating alive by zombies, the National Guard finally show up, but down a totally zombie-free road!!! We found ourselves telling the stories of what our characters were doing...The general runs out and throws down a mine in front of that huge hoard of zombies!! Oh no, it was a dud, run!

Multiple Ways to Play:
Beside solo, there is also a cooperative variant I played that went really well. My group enjoyed the puzzle and managing their actions. Each character was responsible to remember what their character had and their special abilities. It helps when there is a lot of moving pieces to remember. There is also a competitive way to play that I look forward to trying sometime.

Downsides:
People who hate dice might not like this game. Killing zombies, looking for ammunition or food, are all dependent on a dice roll. But its straight up two d6, so the odds are clear: roll above a 5 on a d6, etc. I think you have to play the game at level 2(Apocalypse) or higher to really appreciate it. Basic and Brains are good games, but when I got the new characters and new events at Apocalypse level it went good. Also, you got to make tough decisions.

Conclusion:
Overall, this has been a very fun game I keep coming back to. I still have a lot more to learn about it, but I look forward to getting to those higher levels and incorporating more to my games. The only other solo game I've consistently played was Nemo's War. Personally, I like this better. I feel like there is more going on and more to manage. Both games depend on simply 2d6. But, I feel like too much depended on 2d6 in Nemos War. Here, I feel like I can position things to have better odds when I roll, so I feel like I can put myself in a better place to win. I hope you also get a chance to enjoy Dawn of the Zeds. Also, VPG has great customer service, they helped me out when I lost the infection token in my game. Super quick and nice people to work with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Bryan!
The storytelling aspect of the design was the key point for me. There is nothing more satisfying to me than reading AAR's from gamers who are just narrating what happened to their characters, withour ever referring to the rules or mechanics.

Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel the exact opposite between DoZ3rd and Nemo's war. I feel more in control in Nemo's war , and better able to swing dice rolls(and prefer it as a result)... however, DoZ 3rd is a great game..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B Wumpus wrote:
I feel the exact opposite between DoZ3rd and Nemo's war. I feel more in control in Nemo's war , and better able to swing dice rolls(and prefer it as a result)... however, DoZ 3rd is a great game..

That’s cool. Maybe each just fits our play styles better. The game mechanic that I like is the arrow system, that moves you to the left or right on the 2d6 chart. I know if I stack a path with a barricade or a strong character I can be sure I’m getting better odds to do more damage. Nemo you do get to add to the dice after the fact by spending crew, which is probably my favorite feature in that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heh, I hear you. I think I prefer Nemo's due to the fact that I always felt "mostly" in control... whereas I felt reactionary in Zeds. Do not get me wrong, they are both splendid games, and mainly i just wish I had more time to play either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Betz
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy the story that plays out in Zeds. It seems like each time we play something memorable happens like someone was able to defend the mine until the end of the game so we had a better chance to get ammo.
Alot of the games it seems to start off pretty easy then it really starts to snowball on you. I had some games where it seemed like we were so close to dying during the last quarter of the game but somehow we survived.
I like that even playing a cooperative game with this each player gets an action and they do not have to use it on the character they control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Alvarez
Puerto Rico
Hatillo
Puerto Rico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jbetz45453 wrote:
I really enjoy the story that plays out in Zeds. It seems like each time we play something memorable happens like someone was able to defend the mine until the end of the game so we had a better chance to get ammo.

It feels like a different movie each time you play, with twists and different pacing and climactic moments. This game is a Masterpiece in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.