Gernot Köpke
Germany
Biebesheim am Rhein
(Süd-)Hessen, "Piratosoph" https://twitter.com/Gernot_Koepke
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will release here some almanac informations, also to give some more impressions of the game. I translated it (as good as possible to me) from German and because it is not so easy for a German to understand it in English, I publish it in German too. Good chance for English speaking people to learn some German words. The languages are closer than you might think: king = 'kong/cong' in Norwegian = 'konungr' in Old Norse = 'kuning' in Old Saxon and Dutch = 'König' in German. We have to thank this phenomen also the Scandinavians, who came permanently to the Britsh Islands and the therefor called Normandy in Northern France
By the way: King Kong is something different laugh This Kong comes from Kongo and this from Bakongo, a Bantu tribe nearby the so called river Kongo in Africa.

----------------------------

Moose hunting: It is not easy to locate the "king of the forest" (nor.: skogens conge) in the extensive forest areas. Most likely in the long evening hours of a summer day. Probably moose dogs hunted out the widely scattered loner. This ancient dog species was found not only in numerous tombs of the Norsemen, but also in the Vista Cave in the Norwegian town of Jaeren - bone age 6,000-7,000 years. With a shoulder height of up to 2.30 meters and a weight of up to 800 kg, the moose bulls make a big impression. The elk cows reach up to 450 kg. The northier the bigger the animals are. Because the larger the body volume, the lower the surface area and thus the heat loss.

Elchjagd: Es ist nicht leicht, den “König des Waldes” (norw.: skogens konge) in den weitläufigen Waldgebieten ausfindig zu machen. Am ehesten vielleicht in den langen Abendstunden eines Sommertages. Vermutlich stöberten Elchhunde die weit verstreut lebenden Einzelgänger auf. Diese uralte Hundeart wurde nicht nur in zahlreichen Gräbern der Nordmänner gefunden, sondern auch in der Vista-Höhle im norwegischen Jaeren - Knochenalter 6.000-7.000 Jahre. Mit einer Schulterhöhe von bis zu 2,30 Matern und bis zu 800 kg Gewicht machen die Elchbullen großen Eindruck. Die Elchkühe erreichen bis zu 450 kg. Je nördlicher desto riesiger sind die Tiere. Denn je größer das Körpervolumen, desto geringer der Oberflächenanteil und damit der Wärmeverlust.
- -
In the game elk-hunting is a new extra-action with your last viking meeple in a new fifth row. You need bow&arrow or/and trap or/and spear. Throw up to three times an eight sided dice and get, if failed, the weapons you would have needed to 'pay'. If you can afford and want to pay the 'weapon-price' of the dice-number, you get an antle (new green piece of five spaces, formed like a C) and a random drawn weapon.

Im Spiel ist die Elchjagd eine neue Extraaktion mit deinem letzten Wikinger-Pöppel in einer neuen fünften Spalte. Du brauchst Pfeil und Bogen und/oder Fallen und/oder Speere. Wirf bis zu drei Mal einen achtseitigen Würfel und du erhälst, wenn es nicht klappt je eine der besagten Waffenkarten, die zum "bezahlen" nötig gewesen wären. Falls du den auf dem Würfel angegebenen "Waffen-Preis" zahlen kannst und willst, erhälst Du ein Geweih (neuer, grüner, fünf Felder abdeckender Handelwarenmarker, der in etwa wie ein C geformt ist) und eine zufällig gezogene Waffenkarte.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Antler: Male deer form from bone substance annually new "headdress". At a reindeer also the females. Then the blood supply is stopped, the bone dies and the antlers are discarded by rubbing. It is used for defense, for showcasing, as an offensive weapon in the rut fight and in the far north the blade antler as a snow clearing device for the group, in order to get snow-covered plants. Antlers are therefore rather found and are not necessarily "killing trophies". Antler was the "plastic" of the Middle Ages, versatile, less brittle than bone and twice as good shock-absorbing. Ideal as a handle, fishhook, sewing needle, fine comb, nicely decorated salt container or as a spoon ,always carried with you for the morning groat porridge. So if you literally pipped out your spoon, that was an expression of death. Soups were drunk from bowls, by the way. If you want to learn the fine art of noodle soup slurping, you should take a look at the mouth-watering Japanese satire film "Tampopo" (1985). A master studied this art modest 40 years.

Geweih: Männliche Hirsche bilden aus Knochensubstanz jährlich neuen "Kopfschmuck". Bei Rentieren auch die Weibchen. Dann wird die Blutversorgung eingestellt , der Knochen stirbt ab und das Geweih wird durch Scheuern abgeworfen. Es dient zur Verteidigung, zum Imponieren, als Angriffswaffe im Brunftkampf und im hohen Norden das Schaufelgeweih als Schneeräumgerät für die Gruppe, um an zugeschneite Pflanzen zu kommen. Geweihe werden demnach eher gefunden und sind nicht unbedingt "Tötungstrophäen". Geweih war das "Plastik" des Mittelalters, vielfältig einsetzbar, weniger spröde als Knochen und doppelt so gut stoßdämpfend. Ideal als Griff, Angelhaken, Nähnadel, feiner Kamm, schön verzierter Salzbehälter oder als stets bei sich getragenen Löffel für den morgentlichen Grützebrei. Gab man also sprichwörtlich den Löffel ab, so war das ein Ausdruck für Tod. Suppen wurden übrigens aus Schalen getrunken. Wer die hohe Kunst des Nudelsuppen-Schlürfens lernen will, sollte sich den köstlich mundenden japanischen Satire-Film "Tampopo" (1985) ansehen. Ein Meister studierte diese Kunst bescheidene 40 Jahre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Almanac / Almanach
Gernial wrote:
I will release here some almanac informations, also to give some more impressions of the game. I translated it (as good as possible to me) from German and because it is not so easy for a German to understand it in English, I publish it in German too. Good chance for English speaking people to learn some German words. The languages are closer than you might think: king = 'kong/cong' in Norwegian = 'konungr' in Old Norse = 'kuning' in Old Saxon and Dutch = 'König' in German. We have to thank this phenomen also the Scandinavians, who came permanently to the Britsh Islands and the therefor called Normandy in Northern France

King is 'koning' in Dutch, to be precise, but it is indeed very similar!

Quote:

Moose hunting: I
In the game elk-hunting is an extra-action with your last viking meeple in a new fifth row. You need bow&arrow or/and trap or/and spear. Throw up to three times an eight sided dice and get, if failed, the weapons you would have needed to 'pay'. If you can afford and want to pay the 'weapon-price' of the dice-number, you get an ankle (new green piece of five spaces, formed like a C) and a random drawn weapon.

I like this action already! The fact that you can use any of your weapons is great for left-over weapons. I think some of the people who thought weapon cards were too random might be happy with this as well.
And I like that you get non-square tiles from other sources than the special tile board, that will be a fun puzzle!
I do worry however for our startplayer moose... How will he deal with his family being hunted down?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
Biebesheim am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a fate for the moose, indeed - even he is most times a loner shake
But most people, äh animal, feel better, if they hear about other, harder fates: The pig for example gets butchered in the last action row of the animal market just for to get one salt-meat and one skin&bones. The sheep gets butchered in the first row for one salt-meat, one wool and one fur. One action means here, that it is a short and (let us hope) sweet death. If you butcher a cattle or horse, again you get a salt-meat, but also a 2x5 big (green) leather. In the game an interesting alternative to the upgrades.

By the way, upgrade is a very technical word. In the game it means, you make something like a neighbour-trade, where the other will no say no. Try to think the situation of people in the early Middle Ages. All people lived more or less by self-sufficiency. If you have to much from something and you could not make it storable, you ask your neighbour to trade with you (in Scandinavia at that time markets died not exist everywhere, only on rare spots like Birka or Haithabu). It may have been something like a psychological compulsion, because you always meet twice in life...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Feathers
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:

I like this action already! The fact that you can use any of your weapons is great for left-over weapons. I think some of the people who thought weapon cards were too random might be happy with this as well.

My one sentence summation of the expansion would roughly be this: For any of the minor complaints from AFFO fans, something in the expansion was added to address this.

Examples include:

Weapon card draws are too random, I wind up with lots of extra weapons--there are some spots now where you can spend any of 3 different weapon cards for success, perfect for dumping a bunch of excess weapon cards

Some occupations when drawn at points during the game are just useless and I don't want to play them--now you can always "play" an occupation for a VP chit instead of taking its regular effect, so you can always at least get a few points

Breeding is too hard--oh just wait and see how much easier this has gotten. New butchering actions makes upgrading animals better than most other upgrades, while obtaining animals is easier as you can get pairs from just one action space

Not enough exploration boards, there's always a huge rush for islands--here's 4 new exploration boards that offer new possibilities

There's not enough grey special tiles, particularly larger ones to raid or forge--welcome to a bunch of new and fun shapes

Action board is too open in 2 player games--say hello to the new modular action board with variable spaces on the player count.

Truly AFFO fans should love this expansion. There's so many brilliant ideas in it. To quote myself from my initial feedback upon getting the playtest materials:

Quote:
Including ideas and mechanics that help to shore up pretty much every single complaint I had about the base game. Whomever is in charge of working on this expansion clearly understands the nuances and weaknesses of AFFO and has lots of great ideas to improve things

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
Biebesheim am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
About the weapons: elk hunting works only with hunting-weapons. The sword does not work here. But another new last action 'thievery' uses it. Is is a part of the sailing-actions, because you need a trading-ship. Its a kind of raid where you can use spear, sword and bow&arrow, but no trap or stone. You throw up to three times a eightsided dice and take a blue or grey puzzle-piece in the sword-maximum of the thrown number plus weapon-cards.
As you said, this was also our intention: To give weapons more possibilities, that at end of game you do not have a high number of weapons left for no senseful use anymore. Making use of leftovers, you could say.

One of the oldest ideas, fishing (hunting action by one meeple), had another reason: Getting one fish by doing nothing was to easy and was intended more as an emergency solution in lack of food, not a good move. Same with the (not bad) moves of getting two fish/salt meat for 1-2 silver. We wanted to make food scarcer and give it a more risk-factor. Now you get two fish and one oil, when fishing successful with an eightsided dice. For paying only traps and spears are allowed (no wood or bow&arrow).

This brings me up to another modification you might be happy about too: In the basic game, getting weapons conscious was not so easy, because you needed three meeple and three pieces to upgrade for to get too four weapons. Something you don't have at the beginning and close to the end of the game you want the upgrades, but not that much random weapons. So this space was changed to make two upgrades and one double-upgrade (something people might have missed before -> one fruit). Now you get two weapons and three mountainstripe-material on the action-space for two meeple (but therefor not the upgrade anymore). This allows a more accurate organisation of weapons.
For this also some of the new start-buildings have a fixed weapon bonus: Bow&arrow and trap at the hunting cabin and sword at the blacksmith. And the lumberjack cabin provides a random weapon-bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gernial wrote:
elk hunting

I love the word 'elk', which I think is a fine Anglo-Saxon word. I'd be cautious about using it though since it means two different things in British English and US English. Unless the game has separate European and US localisations?

British 'elk' = Alces alces = 'moose' in US
US 'elk' = Cervus eplaphus = 'red deer' in Britain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
Biebesheim am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, vikings normally hunted elks (Old Norse elgr; Norse elg; German: Elch), not a far away american moose. Well, for sure Leif Erikson and his crew did it about 1000 AD. Presumably as the first Europeans. We don't know which American Native at which year hunted the first elk in Europe. And saidly nobody asks for this - only into the other direction. A colonialistic relict in our mind... soblue

Almanac says:

Brendan the Navigator: Irish clergyman (484-577), noted for a voyage between 565-573. In his old age, he travelled west with twelve companions on an Irish sailing boat of the type "Curragh". The island-Celtic Tale "Navigatio Sancti Brendani" describes his journey in the so called "otherworld". The aim was a promised island in the West. Up to the 18th century the narrative led expeditions into searching Brendan's island. Timothy Severin sailed in 1976 with a "Curragh" to America, to show that the discovery of America was already possible in the 6th century. The Saint Brendan is the patron saint of boatmen.

Brendan der Reisende: Irischer Geistlicher (484-577), der durch eine Seereise in den Jahren 565-573 bekannt wurde. Im hohen Alter reiste er mit zwölf Gefährten auf einem irischen Segelboot des Typs „Curragh“ nach Westen. Die inselkeltische Erzählung „Navigatio Sancti Brendani“ beschreibt seine Reise in die sogenannte „Anderswelt“. Ziel war eine verheißene Insel im Westen. Die Erzählung verleitete Expeditionen bis ins 18. Jahrhundert hinein zur Suche nach Brendans Insel. 1976 segelte Timothy Severin mit einem „Curragh“ nach Amerika, um zu zeigen, dass die Entdeckung Amerikas bereits im 6. Jahrhundert möglich war. Der heilige Brendan ist der Schutzpatron der Schiffer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anny48 wrote:

In the game elk-hunting is an extra-action with your last viking meeple in a new fifth row. You need bow&arrow or/and trap or/and spear. Throw up to three times an eight sided dice and get, if failed, the weapons you would have needed to 'pay'. If you can afford and want to pay the 'weapon-price' of the dice-number, you get an ankle (new green piece of five spaces, formed like a C) and a random drawn weapon.
Sorry to ask (it is certainely due to my bad english) but what is the connection between elk-hunting and ankle ?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Radosław Ziarkowski
msg tools
fdubois wrote:
Anny48 wrote:

Sorry to ask (it is certainely due to my bad english) but what is the connection between elk-hunting and ankle ?

Thanks.

Antler I suppose. Typo mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
Biebesheim am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I made a correction. Before publishing it, sometimes I forget to read again, what I did write whistle
If somebody wants to translate it in French or another language too, feel free :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
Biebesheim am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here another almanac-article that might only be published later, with an Atlantis-Island:

Atlantis: The probably most wondrous phenomenon of legend-formation is rooted in ancient reports of Plato, who already used the city as an idealised projection surface. As a symbol of a fantastic alternative world, Atlantis appears already in 1814 in the romantic novel "The golden pot" by E. T. A. Hoffmann, a German author of Fantasy- and Horror fiction. In Jules Vernes novel "20,000 miles under the sea" Captain Nemo and Professor Aronnax visited the ruins of Atlantis at the bottom of the sea. In the Point-and-Click adventure "Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis" (a classic computer game by Lucas Arts) the archaeologist is pursuing numerous myths, that lead him up even to the Central American civilisations. There was hardly a place in the course of reception history that was not used for the location, whether the by a volcanic eruption destroyed Greek island of Santorini ("Thera"), Crete, in Florida discovered undersea stones, the Bermuda triangle, a 7500 years ago sunken part of the black sea coast, the North Pole, the Greenlandic Thule (by the Nazis, who tried to exploit the Vikings for their "master race mania"), the sunken, in the Viking Age known Baltic port "Vineta" (presumed somewhere around the island "Rügen") or just the wide Atlantic (for example the Canary Islands). The solution of the riddle could be simply the destroyed city Troy, once having sea connection and ring channels, as archaeologists found out yet. Hard to believe for true hunters of myths as well as for esoterics and occultists. A fanciful sophisticated island nation in the Atlantic is much more attractive, or even the source of paradise beliefs such as the Garden of Eden, the Hesperides (Greek mythology) and Asgard.

"Vineta, Vineta, you rich city, Vineta should sunk, because it has done so many bad things" according to legend, a mermaid augured the sinking of "Vineta" by a storm flood.

Atlantis: Das wohl erstaunlichste Phänomen der Legendenbildung wurzelt in antiken Berichten von Platon, der die Stadt bereits als idealisierende Projektionsfläche nutzte. Als Symbol für eine fantastische Gegenwelt erscheint Atlantis bereits 1814 in der romantischen Novelle "Der goldne Topf" von "E. T. A. Hoffmann". In Jules Vernes Roman "20.000 Meilen unter dem Meer" besuchen Kapitän Nemo und Professor Aronnax die Ruinen von Atlantis am Meeresgrund und im "Point and Click"-Computerspiel-Abenteuer von "LucasArts" „Indiana Jones und das Schicksal von Atlantis“, einem inoffiziellen nichtverfilmten vierten Teil des Kinoklassikers, jagt der Archäologe zahlreichen Mythen nach, die in sogar bis zu den mittelamerikanischen Hochkulturen führen. Es gab kaum ein Ort, der im Laufe der Rezeptionsgeschichte nicht für die Verortung herhalten musste, ob die durch eine Vulkanexplosion zerstörte griechische Insel Santorin („Thera“), Kreta, ein vor 7500 Jahren untergegangener Küstenbereich am Schwarzen Meer, unterseeische Steinfunde bei Florida, das Bermuda-Dreieck, der Nordpol, das grönländische Thule (von den Nazis, die die Wikinger für ihren „Herrenrassen-Wahn“ zu instrumentalisieren versuchten), der untergegangene, in der Wikingerzeit bekannte Ostseehafen „Vineta“ (irgendwo um Rügen vermutet) oder eben der weite Nordatlantik (z.B. die Kanaren). Dass es sich aber schlicht um das von, wie man inzwischen feststellte, von Ringkanälen umgebene, einst Meeranschluss habende Troja handeln könnte, ist einem wahren Mythenjäger und den sich in diesem Themenkomplex stark tummelnden Esoterikern und Okkultisten kaum vermittelbar. Ein phantasievoll hoch entwickeltes Inselvolk im Atlantik ist ja doch auch viel reizvoller, oder gar die Quelle von Paradiesvorstellungen wie dem Garten Eden, dem der Hesperiden (griechische Mythologie) oder Asgard.

„Vineta, Vineta, du rieke Stadt, Vineta sall unnergahn, wieldeß se het väl Böses dahn.“ Laut Sage kündigte eine Wasserfrau den Untergang Vinetas durch ein Sturmhochwasser an.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
Biebesheim am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another fantastic islands that might be published later too is

Frisland: Not to be confused with Uwe's home region "Friesland" nearby the German North Sea, to which he has dedicated his two-person game "Arler Erde". Supposedly south of Iceland, approximately equal sized island. The Venetian Zeno figured it out in the 16th century. There are no other text sources and the physical conditions exclude the downfall of an island of this size. About a hundred years Frisland was copied on subsequent nautical charts. The Fantasy Island disappeared thereafter consequently from all cards, because there was never confirmation of their existence from any travel reports. The Norwegians had indeed never overlooked such an island, because there was a busy travel route far to the South of Iceland to Greenland. It would have been reported in their sagas for sure. Creative myth Hunters could speculate, that here may have been the sunken Atlantis.
"The sun goes out, the country sinks into the sea,
the sunny stars plunge from the sky.
blaze buffeted the nourisher of live;
high heat rises skyward. "

Völuspá, the opening poem of the Edda saga

Frisland: Nicht zu verwechseln mit Uwes Heimatregion Friesland, der er sein Zweipersonenspiel "Arler Erde" gewidmet hat. Vermeintlich südlich von Island gelegene, etwa gleichgroße Insel. Der Venezianer Zeno hatte sich da im 16. Jahrhundert wohl etwas zusammengereimt. Es gibt keine weiteren Quellen und die physikalischen Gegebenheiten schließen den Untergang einer Insel dieser Größe aus. Etwa hundert Jahre lang wurde Frisland auf nachfolgenden Karten „abgeschrieben“. Die Phantasie-Insel verschwand aber folgerichtig wieder aus allen Karten, da es nie eine Bestätigung aus irgendwelchen Reiseberichten gab. Die Norweger hätten so ein Land im Übrigen auch niemals übersehen, da eine vielbefahrene Reiseroute weit südlich von Island nach Grönland führte. Sie hätten mit Sicherheit darüber in ihren Sagas berichtet. Mythenjäger könnten hier gar das untergegangene Atlantis herbeispekulieren.

„Die Sonne verlischt, das Land sinkt ins Meer,
vom Himmel stürzen die heitern Sterne.
Lohe umtost den Lebensnährer;
hohe Hitze steigt himmelan.“

Völuspá, Eröffnungsgedicht der Edda-Saga
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Cormode
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atlantis, eh?

I like these mythical islands. It'd be cool to have a mythical expansion, down the road.

Vinland and Thule/Ultima Thule, immediately spring to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thormodr wrote:
Atlantis, eh?

I like these mythical islands. It'd be cool to have a mythical expansion, down the road.

Vinland and Thule/Ultima Thule, immediately spring to mind.

Wait, a Canadian just called Vinland mythical?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atlantis island would be awesome. Could have a chance of sinking beneath the waves each round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladvonbounce wrote:
Atlantis island would be awesome. Could have a chance of sinking beneath the waves each round.

Well, Atlantis could be the "front," and then it flips over like the other exploration boards. Only, it flips even after you've explored it.... whistle

The back side could be all water, but still grant a few VP. Front side could be about bonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Slade
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe if you cover enough of Atlantis before it sinks then you are able to build boats and migrate your people away to safety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
Biebesheim am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vladvonbounce wrote:
Good ideas from all. I will think about a way to take such an aspect into creating the island

Yesterday I analyzed some more historical: the Scilly Islands (subtropical weather 45 miles into the Atlantic from Englands 'Lands End'). Vikings went there minimum 995 (Olaf T.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
Biebesheim am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Æsir: A general term for gods. The scant and contradictory historical source material beyond the Edda saga allows only rather speculative statements: "Humanised" deities lived a demigods typical earthly everyday life. This points to an ancestor cult, in which the high chair pillars were worshipped ("áss" = pile, bar). However, according to the Edda saga, the world of gods of the Vikings is based on three species of gods of which the Æsir were only one. They all emerged from a primordial chaos and a primordial cow. The primordial father of all gods "Buri" (and Odins grandfather) was licked out by the primordial cow "Audhumla" from a salty and iced stone. The oldest species of gods was that of the Giants and monsters, including all evil beings (such as trolls), who were held responsible for natural disasters. They had the power to destroy the world. The Vanir were created to prevent this. The second oldest species were rural fertility deities. They were characterised as extremely skilful, earthbound, wise and could live forever - except when they were slain. The Vanir kept everything in balance. Since they were no fighters and was thus unable to stop the Giants and monsters, with the Æsir, they created a powerful Warrior species with limited power. Soon the Æsir took the power and made a Covenant with the Vanir, which they needed to prolong their life. As mortals they could hold themselves young only with the apples of "Idun", the goddess of immortality and youth. Their destiny was fulfilled finally in the "Ragnarök". With the reborn father of the gods, Odin, a reformed new world period could begin. The surviving Æsir gathered to discuss the reconstruction of the world.

Asen: Asen ist eine generelle Bezeichnung für Götter. Die dürftige und widersprüchliche Quellenlage jenseits der Edda-Saga lässt lediglich eher spekulative Aussagen zu: „Vermenschlichte“ Göttergestalten führten ein halbgöttertypisches irdisches Alltagsleben. Dies deutet auf einen Ahnenkult hin, bei dem die Hochsitz-Pfeiler verehrt wurden („áss“ = Pfahl, Balken). Laut Edda-Saga jedenfalls fußt die Götterwelt der Wikinger auf drei Göttergeschlechtern von denen die Asen nur eines waren. Sie alle gingen aus dem Urchaos und einem Ur-Rind hervor. So wurde „Buri“, der Urvater aller Götter (und Odins Großvater), von der Urkuh „Audhumla“ aus einem salzigen, vereisten Stein herausgeschleckt. Das älteste Göttergeschlecht war das der Riesen und Ungeheuer, zu denen praktisch alle bösen Wesen (z. B. Trolle) gehörten, die auch für Naturkatastrophen verantwortlich gemacht wurden. Sie hatten die Macht, die Welt zu vernichten. Damit das nicht geschah, wurden die Wanen geschaffen. Das zweitälteste Geschlecht bestand aus bäuerlichen Fruchtbarkeits-Gottheiten. Sie wurden als äußerst geschickt, erdgebunden und weise verehrt und konnten ewig leben – außer wenn sie erschlagen wurden. Die Wanen hielten alles im Gleichgewicht. Da sie keine Kämpfer waren und damit unfähig, sich der Riesen und Ungeheuer zu erwehren, wurde mit den Asen ein kräftiges Kriegergeschlecht geschaffen, dem begrenzte Macht verliehen wurde. Bald übernahmen die Asen die Macht und schlossen einen Bund mit den Wanen, welchen sie brauchten, um ihr Leben zu verlängern. Als Sterbliche konnten sie sich lediglich durch die Äpfel der Idun (lateinisch Iduna, wie die Versicherung) jung halten, der Göttin der Unsterblichkeit und Jugend. In der „Ragnarök“ erfüllte sich schließlich ihr Schicksal. Ein neuer Weltenzyklus mit dem wiedergeborenen Göttervater Odin und gebessertem Bösen konnte beginnen. Die überlebenden Asen versammelten sich, um über den Wiederaufbau der Welt zu beraten.

Asgard: Residence of a species of gods: The Æsir. According to the Edda-saga the Æsir should have lived in a huge Castle in the branches of the world tree "Yggdrasil". There were palaces of the twelve Æsir made of gold and precious stones, indomitable walled. From his throne "Hlidskialf", Odin could overlook all the nine worlds. For the Vikings, Asgard was a Kingdom of heaven, which was connected with the human world of "Midgard" by the Rainbow "Bifrost". "Valhalla" was in Asgard a great Hall of the gods, in which they welcomed the most venerable among the fallen warriors. In the world of gods the dead warriors should help in the fight against the Giants and monsters.

Asgard: Wohnsitz des Göttergeschlechts der Asen. Der Edda-Saga nach sollen die Asen in einer riesigen Burg in den Zweigen des Weltenbaumes „Yggdrasil“ gelebt haben. Dort standen die aus Gold und Edelsteinen bestehenden Paläste der zwölf Asen, von unbezwingbaren Mauern umgebenen. Von seinem Thron „Hlidskialf“ aus konnte Odin alle neun Welten überblicken. Für die Wikinger war Asgard das Himmelreich, das über den Regenbogen „Bifröst“ mit der Menschenwelt „Midgard“ verbunden war. „Wallhalla“ in Asgard war die große Halle der Götter, in der sie die Ehrwürdigsten unter den gefallenen Krieger begrüßten, die ihnen nun in der Götterwelt im Kampf gegen die Riesen und Ungeheuer zur Seite standen.

Ask and Embla: First human couple. It was probably ashore washed driftwood ("Ask" means "Ash"), which the brothers Odin, Hönir and Lóðurr after carvings breathed into life (compare high chair). Ask and Embla were built on this way. They are something like Adam and Eve of the Norse mythology.

Ask und Embla: Erstes Menschenpaar. Es war wahrscheinlich an Land gespültes Treibholz („Ask“ bedeutet „Esche“) dem die Brüder Odin, Hönir und Lodur nach Schnitzarbeiten Leben einhauchten (vgl. Hochsitz). Auf diese Weise entstanden Ask und Embla. Sie sind so etwas wie Adam und Eva der nordischen Mythologie.

Bergen: Second largest city in Norway. The area north of Bergen, the rainiest city in Europe, is the setting of the game. Bergen is also called "Gateway to the fjords". In the Viking age, the city was not yet established. According to the King sagas Bergen was founded in 1070 by a son of Harald Hardrada, four years after the official end of the Viking era. In the first Millennium only the coastal area in the South of Norway was populated (with an exception of the Lofoten).

Bergen: Zweitgrößte Stadt Norwegens. Die Gegend nördlich von Bergen, der regenreichsten Großstadt Europas, ist der Handlungsort dieses Spiels. Bergen wird auch als „Tor zu den Fjorden“ bezeichnet. In der Wikingerzeit war die Stadt noch nicht gegründet. Nach Angaben in den Königssagas wurde sie 1070 von einem Sohn Harald des Harten gegründet, also vier Jahre nach dem offiziellen Ende der Wikinger-Ära. Im ersten Jahrtausend war (mit Ausnahme der Lofoten) nur die Küstenregion im Süden Norwegens besiedelt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
Biebesheim am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A thematical look into the mini-expansion with gods:

Balder: God of the Sun, of spring, of good and justice. He lived in "Breidablik", a Palace of the gods in Asgard, the residence of a species of gods, the Æsir. According to the Edda saga, Balder was the son of Odin and Frigg. He died by an intrigue of Loki, spiked by a mistletoe from the hand of his blind brother Höðr. His wife Nanna died of a broken heart during his funeral ceremonies and was laid out with him on his ship "Ring Horn" and burned. With Balder, the personification of the Sun, happiness and beauty disappeared from the world, "ragnarök" approaching.

Balder: Gott der Sonne, des Frühlings, des Guten und der Gerechtigkeit. Er lebte im Götterpalast „Breidablik“ in Asgard, dem Wohnort des Göttergeschlechts der Asen. Laut Edda-Saga war Balder der Sohn von Odin und Frigg. Er starb durch eine Intrige Lokis, durchbohrt von einem Mistelzweig aus der Hand seines blinden Bruders Hödur. Seine Gattin Nanna starb während seiner Bestattungsfeierlichkeiten an gebrochenem Herzen und wurde mit ihm auf seinem Schiff „Ringhorn“ aufgebahrt und verbrannt. Mit der Lichtgestalt Balder, der Personifizierung der Sonne, verschwanden Glück und Schönheit aus der Welt, womit das Götterende „Ragnarök“ näher rückte.

My idea is to make a Balder startplayer-pack with different stuff including the "ring horn" as a special longship (9 VP, place for 4 ore).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
Biebesheim am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beer: The Norsemen brewed their "Œl" (pronounced "oil" => ale) from barley and sometimes oat. Wild or imported hops were used to give a bitter taste. The stronger import beer was called "Bjórr". Other seasonings, such as chicory root or yarrow, were used. Like mead, beer was often drunk heated (for a German beer drinker a strange, not understandable tradition). To what extent the cheaper beer had replaced the mead during the Viking age, can not be exactly said. The highlight of feasts seemed to be a general full intoxication, what belonged to a religious meaning. For daily consumption small beer has been brewed. The so called "mungát" was longer fresh than fresh water in barrels and was carried in large quantities as ship provisions.

Bier: Die Nordländer brauten ihr „Œl“ (gesprochen „Öl“) aus Gerste, ab und an auch aus Hafer. Als Bitterstoff wurde wilder oder importierter Hopfen verwendet. Das stärkere Importbier hieß „Bjórr“. Auch andere Würzmittel, wie Wegewartenwurzel und Schafgarbe fanden Verwendung. Wie Met wurde Bier oft erwärmt getrunken. Inwieweit das billigere Bier den Met in der Wikingerzeit verdrängt hatte, lässt sich nicht genau sagen. Der Höhepunkt eines Festes scheint so oder so der allgemeine Vollrausch gewesen zu sein, dem auch kultische Bedeutung zu kam. Für den täglichen Verzehr wurde Dünnbier gebraut. Das „Mungát“ hielt sich in Fässern besser als Frischwasser und wurde in großen Mengen als Schiffsproviant mitgeführt.

Birka: Around 790 based trading centre on the island "Björkö" near the present-day Stockholm with a castle and a circular wall. The ‘first city of Sweden’ was the most important maritime trading centre of the northern Baltic Sea in the 8th-10th century. The little town of up to 800 in small wooden houses living people did grow to some thousand people in the time of having market. The excavation history began already in 1680. Numerous burial mounds with 2,300 graves have been found in the surrounding area. 1993 the area was included in the UNESCO list for world cultural heritage.

-> planned as a 'kaupang'-island/settlement for the second expansion.

Birka: Um 790 gegründetes Handelszentrum auf der Insel „Björkö“ unweit des heutigen Stockholm mit Burg und Ringwall. Die „erste Stadt Schwedens“ war im 8.-10. Jahrhundert das wichtigste Seehandelszentrum des nördlichen Ostseeraums. Zu Marktzeiten kamen in dem sonst bis zu 800 in kleinen Holzhütten lebenden Menschen mehrere tausend Menschen zusammen. Die Ausgrabungsgeschichte begann bereits 1680. Im Umland sind zahllose Grabhügel mit 2.300 Gräbern gefunden worden. 1993 wurde die Gegend in die UNESCO-Liste für Weltkulturerbe aufgenommen. Abb. Ausbildungskarte „Birka-Siedler“

Bjarmaland: Settlement of the "Beorm" in northern Russia. At the outlet of the Dvina River to the White Sea a Bjarmian settlement was located (today’s Arkhangelsk). The Bjarmian were a sedentary Finno-Ugric tribe that got rich by trading fur, hide, walrus skin (which was used for high-quality ropes) and walrus tooth along the Volga river through Eastern Europe up to Bulgaria. Eric Bloodaxe, the later King of Norway, plundered the area around 920. A trading expedition to the North guided the Norwegian King Harald Greycloak in 965 to the outlet of the Dvina River. When the Mongols rolled over Europe, the Bjarmian sought sanctuary in Norway. In 1240 they received land in the northern Norway municipality Malangen by King Haakon the Old.

Bjarmaland: Siedlungsgebiet der Bjarmen in Nordrussland. An der Mündung des Flusses Dvina zum Weißen Meer lag eine bjarmsche Siedlung (heute Archangelsk). Die "Beorm" waren ein sesshafter finno-ugrischer Stamm, der mit dem Handel von Pelz, Fell, Walrosshaut (die für hochwertige Seile bzw. Taue gebraucht wurde) und Walrosszahn entlang der Wolga bis nach Bulgarien reich wurde. Erik Blutaxt, der spätere König von Norwegen, plünderte die Gegend um 920. Eine Handelsexpedition in den Norden führte den norwegischen König Harald Graufell 965 bis an die Dvina-Mündung. Als die Mongolen Europa überrollten, suchten die Bjarmen in Norwegen Zuflucht. Dort wurde ihnen 1240 von König Håkon IV. dem Alten (1204-1263) Land im nordnorwegischen Malangen zugewiesen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gernial wrote:
-> planned as a 'kaupang'-island/settlement for the second expansion.

Did you just sneak an announcement in, to see if we're paying attention?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gernial wrote:
Yesterday I analyzed some more historical: the Scilly Islands (subtropical weather 45 miles into the Atlantic from Englands 'Lands End'). Vikings went there minimum 995 (Olaf T.).

By the way (I missed this comment last summer), I'm sure you don't need any help but if you want any re. the Scillies, then I'd be happy to. I'm a professional archaeologist and also have a postgraduate degree in Cornish Studies. (Please don't say 'England' especially for this time period).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gernot Köpke
Germany
Biebesheim am Rhein
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked for it, because I tested BGG-island versions (from a AFFO-fan from Chile!) and looked for a more realistic setting (to small/uninhabitable). I did not find any information of a viking visit/use of the island before 995. If you have here informations, I would be interested. Otherwise I would take distance from using it. Enough other places with deeper relations to the viking age/vikings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gernial wrote:
I looked for it, because I tested BGG-island versions (from a AFFO-fan from Chile!) and looked for a more realistic setting (to small/uninhabitable). I did not find any information of a viking visit/use of the island before 995. If you have here informations, I would be interested. Otherwise I would take distance from using it. Enough other places with deeper relations to the viking age/vikings.

That seems sensible. What little we know of Cornish history at that point comes from English sources, so records of Viking attacks are scarce. They do mention at least one instance of the Cornish allying with a group of Vikings to fight them but that doesn't help you. As the most remote land settled by the Cornish, the Scillies would have been particularly irrelevant to English chroniclers (they remain notorious for 'lawlessness' and 'piracy', according to English sources, for another millennium or so after the Vikings).

One island with Viking connections that does spring to mind is Lundy, in the Bristol Channel. (In fact the name is Old Norse - 'puffin island'). It was settled and used by a viking couple whose remains were later excavated by a Victorian antiquarian. He dubbed them 'the Lundy Giants' as both male and female skeletons (interpreted as husband and wife) were around seven foot tall. This is a very small island, though - about a half mile wide by three and a half long - so it may not be of great interest for that reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |