Subject: Pilgrimage - No "recruiting" monks - Rules question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules state for a pilgrimage that you can not "recruit" monks this turn. This is the only time this word is used.
It seems there are multiple interruptions since the rules are unclear as to what "recruit" actually means.

Possible explanations:

1. You are not allowed to "recruit" monks from your market or "recruit" them from the main board.
2. You are allowed to use them for actions but not "recruit" them from the main-board.
3. You are allowed to acquire them from the main-board but not "recruit" them from your market place.

To me it kind of makes sense either way. If the monks are really on a pilgrimage then one would assume they are completely unavailable. Though it also makes sense that once they're in your party they have no choice.

What do you guys think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Nelson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The pilgrimage tile means you cannot obtain any new Monks from the monastery during this turn.

You can use the Monks on your own board to complete different actions though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Adams
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
RottenJeeves wrote:
The rules state for a pilgrimage that you can not "recruit" monks this turn. This is the only time this word is used.
It seems there are multiple interruptions since the rules are unclear as to what "recruit" actually means.

In the rule book I have, recruit is mentioned in 2 places. The first is in the castle action, where it says you can increase the number of followers you draw each round by recruiting Knights. The second place is in the explanation of the pilgrimage action. The first usage of recruit suggests it means gaining followers by using the appropriate action space.

I would agree that since the term "recruit" is not used universally when the rules instruct you to take a follower tile, it can be ambiguous. A better explanation of the pilgrimage event would be that you are unable to use the Monastery action/place this round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Linsey
United States
Hudson
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure it means you can't use the Monastery this round. But those Monks you already have may still be used to activate spaces on your board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls