Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Laszlo Korossy
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I feel that the 1PG, like most guilds here, doesn't exploit the calendar function. We don't have GenCon on there, when a number of guild members will likely get the chance to meet up! We don't have ANYTHING on there, actually.

I follow the Sifting through the 2018 kickstarter list to single out the 1p games thread, which is SO helpful (and interesting!). Wouldn't it be cool if, when someone posts a game there, they put the KS end date on the calendar as well? In one glance, we could tell what's closing this month.

We could do member BIRTHDAYS!! ...okay, now I'm really reaching.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
korossyl wrote:
I follow the Sifting through the 2018 kickstarter list to single out the 1p games thread, which is SO helpful (and interesting!). Wouldn't it be cool if, when someone posts a game there, they put the KS end date on the calendar as well? In one glance, we could tell what's closing this month.

Wouldn't that go too far into promoting kickstarters and endanger the guild?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thought, I've just put in the UK meeting in October.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Athena Ex
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
www.solitairetimes.net
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
korossyl wrote:
I feel that the 1PG, like most guilds here, doesn't exploit the calendar function. We don't have GenCon on there, when a number of guild members will likely get the chance to meet up! We don't have ANYTHING on there, actually.

We could do member BIRTHDAYS!! ...okay, now I'm really reaching.

Thank you for the kind words about the thread. I can see the usefulness of putting the kickstarter dates on the calendar, but it would require a lot of book-keeping, and I don't know who would be willing to do that. But it's something to consider.

I agree about noting the guild meeting dates (even though being at the margins of Europe I can never attend any).

As for birthdays... heh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There’s a calendar?! Where? surprise

I’d love to see cons on it, not just gaming cons, but scifi/fan literary cons as well, as that’s what I go to. Smaller gaming groups that I can actually hear in (auditory processing disorder).

B-days...no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Along with cons and events maybe list solo design contest start and finish dates for users entering or wanting to print and play new solo designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Using the calendar a bit more and putting conventions and wotnot on it is a great idea. And thanks to Roger for putting the UK Meetup on the calendar - now I really can't forget when it is!

And no to birthdays. With over 9500 members the calendar will get very crowded very quickly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could put start/end dates for solo challenges in there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin L. Kitchens
United States
Gainesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
Snowflakes Melt
badge
Snowflakes Melt
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
korossyl wrote:

Wouldn't that go too far into promoting kickstarters and endanger the guild?

Promoting KS is acceptable. Linking to them is not.

Just having the name and end date would allow people to find them with google, or visiting the game's crowdfunding forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kyuss wrote:
And thanks to Roger for putting the UK Meetup on the calendar - now I really can't forget when it is!

I'd missed the fact that there was even a final date, I still had it in my head as 'sometime in October'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love seeing the calendar being useful. The problem is folks forget about it because it is blank. The more useful it is, the more it gets used.

Maybe we should add a calendar discussion thread, pin it and add it to the guild description or we can use this thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Korossy
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
fractaloon wrote:
Maybe we should add a calendar discussion thread

That's what this is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imaginary Thomas
Canada
Russell
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
korossyl wrote:
fractaloon wrote:

That's what this is!

I don't know about that, let's create a discussion thread as to whither or not this is a discussion thread regarding the calendar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Korossy
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
skeletonhat wrote:
korossyl wrote:
fractaloon wrote:

That's what this is!

I don't know about that, let's create a discussion thread as to whither or not this is a discussion thread regarding the calendar.

Woah, maybe we should discuss this first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
How to discuss the calendar?
Use this discussion thread.
Start a new discussion thread.
Start a thread to discuss how to proceed.
Deliberate on how to start a thread to proceed.
Vote on the merits of deliberation before proceeding to discuss the thread.
Appoint a committee to define a pole on the merits of delibarating the thread leading to discussion on...
...wait, what are we talking about again?
      36 answers
Poll created by fractaloon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added a mention at the end of the page description pointing to this thread. It isn't much but it's a start.

I also pinned the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
Private OverText >_< Do Not Read!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Could list who the current Sock Puppet of the Week in the calendar. Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
1 Player Guild
badge
Breaker of Wallets
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this is rather old thread, but I needed something random to do this morning and stumbled across this! I added in all of the current challenge deadlines along with a reminder about SGOYT. Not sure if the latter is obnoxious going all through the month, but it does make it easy to find!

Other thoughts on how best to utilize this feature? I was trying to come up with some other things to add, yet this seems like a decent enough start. Hopefully it's helpful!

Note that clicking on the "more details" for each one opens up a separate page where the relevant link is actually live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea for the challenge deadlines. Maybe if the SGOYT is too much to be across the whole month, you could just do it for each month on the first for when it starts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maricel Edwards
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
Great idea for the challenge deadlines. Maybe if the SGOYT is too much to be across the whole month, you could just do it for each month on the first for when it starts?

+1 this. and perhaps an entry at the end of the month to signal its conclusion and imminent commencement for the next month?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
1 Player Guild
badge
Breaker of Wallets
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
That works! Luckily it's an easy edit, and I flip-flopped a couple of times. Both work: This way it's hard not to miss it, and since it's a big feature of the guild, I wanted to make sure it didn't get lost.

I figure the calendar is bare enough now that it isn't terrible to try it out for a few days like this. Any other thoughts or opinions are most welcome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's reasonable… and thanks for the reminder, I've put in the ISGOYTRA Cup too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
1 Player Guild
badge
Breaker of Wallets
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
I think it's reasonable… and thanks for the reminder, I've put in the ISGOYTRA Cup too.
Don't forget to also add it to 2019 Solo Challenges SUBSCRIPTION! I also wonder if making it a full-day event on the calendar with a link to the topic might make it stand out more. For some reason, specific times are a little less obvious to me.

I'm still thinking that having SGOYT across the whole month ensures it won't get lost. It doesn't seem to be over-the-top at the moment, but that could be since I'm now used to seeing it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Firedrake wrote:
Good thought, I've just put in the UK meeting in October.

I think I've just put the February one in but I don't seem to be able to see the calendar (possibly dye to ad-blockers), so I can't say for certain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb