Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robin wrote:
The Vassal ASL module has a small "Moved" tab on the side of the counter, rather than a full border.

Robin,
are you talking about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
g1ul10 wrote:
Caesar wrote:
g1ul10 wrote:
maybe white or black?

Ciao Giulio,
here you can see a preview with b/w border.

In this picture you can see it applied to all factions.
Please let me know if it works.
Ale

Well, zebra pattern is surely visible. But I don't know if I like it... it is not particularly elegant, so to speak... Have you tried only white or only black? As I said, I'm not an expert and maybe some else has better suggestions.

While black-white zebra might be a little too intense, it perfectly shows which units are ordered. From functionality point of view it is great, from aesthetic, well,maybe if this is less thick, it could work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
And what about making a thicker border but only on the top and right? Mimicking the perspective of the 3d block...

..something like this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just "playing" with materials from Zun Tzu application... trying to fit them inside a Vassal module.
I was curious about the result.
Here it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Caesar wrote:
Robin wrote:
The Vassal ASL module has a small "Moved" tab on the side of the counter, rather than a full border.
Robin,
This is not an issue, with the trails it is obvious who has moved, so I wouldn't add this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
Caesar wrote:
Robin wrote:
Robin,
This is not an issue, with the trails it is obvious who has moved, so I wouldn't add this.

but if it said ORDER...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caesar wrote:
franchi wrote:
And what about making a thicker border but only on the top and right? Mimicking the perspective of the 3d block...
..something like this?
This is PERFECT! meeple

The other Zun-Tzu-like pictures look great too, but I would prefer a single, big enough block like the ones above, with the number of blocks written on the lower-right corner, as is now.

But if it is 'easy' to create the 3d perspective of the board on VASSAL, it would be the icing on the cake!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Different block sizes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely feels like the real game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caesar wrote:
franchi wrote:

..something like this?

Theta's the version I like the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An overview of roman army.
It's surely "nice to see".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Linneberg
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caesar wrote:

It is pretty, but I still prefer the single blocks, uniform size, with the numbers on them. It's less cluttered. Easier to see what's what.

Still, it's all your hard work, so if you go with this, I won't complain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My instinct is to say stick with the classic look. Though the ZunTzu style would make seeing the terrain easier....

For the classic blocks with resized border look: If you can get a slightly larger map graphic, you can size everything up slightly, and add color to the outsides. Also, you can resize the sticker graphics slightly smaller to fit inside of the new live area.

If you need help with that, I could probably work out some of the resizing for you. Though I'd still need a map graphic that's larger than what's in the module to start work with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Linneberg
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sushidog wrote:
Caesar wrote:

It is pretty, but I still prefer the single blocks, uniform size, with the numbers on them. It's less cluttered. Easier to see what's what.

Still, it's all your hard work, so if you go with this, I won't complain.

Thinking about this more, and playing some more PBEM with the current module, I realize that while the pics are nice to see, when I'm playing all I look for are the letter designations of what the unit is. I couldn't tell you the difference between a Light and a Light Slinger unit without really squinting if it wasn't for the letters. Changing to 4 small blocks instead of one large block will make those letters even smaller to read. The more I think about it, the more I think I might have to keep using the old version if the new one has smaller graphics.

And the pic you've shown, doesn't even have the letter designations. That's a real step back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have downloaded the module and started it but cannot load any scenario:
Bad Data in Module: 001 Battle of Akragas[Pre-defined setup]: Setup not found 001.vsav

Do you have idea what is wrong? I took the module from the first post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mk20336 wrote:
I have downloaded the module and started it but cannot load any scenario:
Bad Data in Module: 001 Battle of Akragas[Pre-defined setup]: Setup not found 001.vsav

Do you have idea what is wrong? I took the module from the first post.
I think Alessandro is just toying around with the look and functionalities of the new module, and once all the details/choices settled the scenarios will come next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stanislav
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever"
mbmbmbmbmb
Caesar wrote:
franchi wrote:

..something like this?

Alessandro, your work is terrific and all of the changes in the changelog are to my liking. Thanks for this.

Regarding the graphics, my own preference is to stick as close to the "classic" VASSAL look as possible. I have no problem with the relatively thin colour frame and it provides the best possible overview of the game. I can appreciate the 3D approach from an aesthetic point of view, but for manoeuvres and tactical overview, the current "bird's eye view" is the best in my opinion. However, it could be cool to mirror the difference in square/rectangle size from the board game in order to set apart cavalry, chariots and elephants.

If the opinion for a 3D-look is strong, I suggest the one above (though with the letter indicators in the top left corner and just one "block" per unit) rather than the fully fledged Sun Tzu version).

I like the thicker, green, dashed frame for "ordered units". A similar one in red would be cool for "moved units". Personally, I prefer the current colour codes to the zebra version. The dashed design will be enough assistance help with Barbarian and red Roman units, I think.

One small suggestion: Is it possible to have a shortcut for the "undo" button (previous move)? It could be a multikey combination to prevent accidents. But it would be nice to have for reviewing logs (and complement the PAGE DOWN shortcut for "next move".

Thanks again. Looking forward to the final version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sushidog wrote:
Thinking about this more, and playing some more PBEM with the current module, I realize that while the pics are nice to see, when I'm playing all I look for are the letter designations of what the unit is. I couldn't tell you the difference between a Light and a Light Slinger unit without really squinting if it wasn't for the letters. Changing to 4 small blocks instead of one large block will make those letters even smaller to read. The more I think about it, the more I think I might have to keep using the old version if the new one has smaller graphics.

And the pic you've shown, doesn't even have the letter designations. That's a real step back.
I consider VASSAL, at least this module, as a substitute of the real experience, since I use it to play with my brother 1500 km away. So when I play I'm willing to be as close as possible of the boardgame experience, that unfortunately we cannot have. As such, a board that looks like the real one enhances the experience even more.

In the present/previous versions of VASSAL you do need the letters on the labels, because all have the same size and 'something red' can be too many things. But if you have the size of the blocks, it is very easy to tell apart a 'red infantry' from a 'red cavalry' or a 'red elephant'. And in any event that is how it works (very well) with the real game.

I had never asked for such an improvement in the past because I have no idea about how difficult/possible it is, but if Alessandro can do it I'm all in for a module that looks like the game! If an 'old-style option' can be easily made available, then why not, but I would use the best looking one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think these options are mutually exclusive. We can have one version in the base game and the other available as an extension. If the map remains the same, this amounts just to an extra units palette.

@Miguel: and if your brother is busy, feel free to contact me for a CC:A VASSAL game :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buba
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi Alessandro,

This is awesome! Can you give an estimate when the module will be completed and ready to download?

Great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,
just came back from my summer holidays.
Let me double check actual "progress state" and then will be back on it and will update you about this module rework.
Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions.
Cheers
Ale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart de Groot
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caesar wrote:
Added selected unit to move using numpad keys
numpad-7 --> top left
numpad-9 --> top right
numpad-4 --> left
etc

That is a good idea. I might have to borrow that .

The more advanced features you add to the module the more difficult it gets to update and maintain scenarios when changes happen. I know all about it, I made Memoir '44 v10.0 as the final module that contained the final answer to everything and would never change. Now I am at v10.13.

Let me know if you want to borrow my Scenario Chooser. It makes it easier to filter/navigate a large list of scenarios. It can be adapted for C&C Ancients style metadata and other changes – e.g. if you don't want preview images – and integrates easily into the vmod. You could link to the scenario entry on your www.commandsandcolors.net website (View Online).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote NO on the scenario chooser, at least to be incorporated into the module.

As a separate stand alone I would have no problem with it, but I find the Memoir one terrible to just find a scenario I already know of. Admittedly I very rarely play M'44 or use the module, but it seemed awfully cumbersome within the module to me.

I prefer a straight numerical listing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Linneberg
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
I vote NO on the scenario chooser, at least to be incorporated into the module.

As a separate stand alone I would have no problem with it, but I find the Memoir one terrible to just find a scenario I already know of. Admittedly I very rarely play M'44 or use the module, but it seemed awfully cumbersome within the module to me.

I prefer a straight numerical listing.

I hear you. While I like the chooser for its ability to zoom in on a specific type of scen, and I like the random button, with many of my CC opponents, we simply play through a module in order. I'd like the chooser better if you could easily choose Expansion box 1, or expansion box 2, etc. I can sort of do that with the chooser, but it's clunky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [14] |