Popular Tags: [View All]
Thom Denick
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most fans of heavy strategy games have probably learned to appreciate Vital Lacerda’s particular style. He has been pumping out hobbyist-favorite games for several years including Kanban (#222 all-time BGG), the Gallerist (#62 all-time BGG), and Lisboa (#107 all-time BGG). Escape Plan is his latest game and Kickstarter, and it’s a departure from the more cerebral themes his games normally adopt. But that doesn’t make the game any less complicated and engaging. The game begins after a heist, you’ve gotten away with a score, but the police are onto you. Can you collect the money you’ve invested or hoarded in the city and get out in time?

Introduction

In Escape Plan, you will be building a dynamic map and moving around the city collecting money, contacts, and equipment that will help you with your grand escape at the end of the game. As the map changes, you may need to adjust your strategy to ensure you have what you need to enact your plan. Other players can’t attack you directly, but they can move the police to interfere with your plans, and clear out safehouses before you have a chance to collect your stash. In the end, only the co-conspirator with the most money wins - but just getting out can be a challenge.

Stand Out Features

Fun, rewarding actions: No matter where you decide to move on your turn, you’re going to get something good out of the action. Moving far away from where you are in one turn is very risky because you need to avoid a lot of cops, but the good news is that even if you’re forced to stay nearby for a turn, you’ll most likely still get something useful later in the game.

Dynamic Board: Since you’ll be creating the board as you’re playing, each game is going to play out slightly differently and give you different options. As you play, you will be unlocking access to businesses, safehouses, and exits that could be components of your escape. But new tiles also makes the board larger, and harder to navigate. You’ll have to make tough decisions on whether you should stick to your plan, or adjust it based on how the tiles come out.

Excellent Player Count Scaling: Of all of Lacerda’s games, I think this is the best two player game. In 2-player mode, Sandra is back from Kanban to torment you by locking locations, removing valuable safes, keys, and contacts from play. She can’t hurt you directly, but her movement can hinder your plans if you aren’t careful.

Lots and Lots of Stuff Going On: There is a ton of stuff happening on the board. There’s gang members that can be bribed, contacts to recruit, stacks of tiles to accumulate. This gives the game a “living” feel which keeps the gameplay engaging throughout. While the game seems extremely complicated when you first learn it, all the pieces click into place after your first play.

What We Liked

While I haven’t played this game at full player count, I think this is the quickest to play of Lacerda’s games. Two players can easily finish in an hour (not counting setup since I am playing on Tabletopia). With more players, it slows down as there’s frequently a lot of choices to make when deciding to travel to a new space. Luckily, player location doesn’t have a huge effect on your own decisions, so you can plan your moves well-ahead your turn.

Players aren’t able to directly attack each other, but you can antagonize your opponents by moving police onto their space, closing businesses before they get access, or emptying a safehouse of its keys. This feels like just the right amount of “take that” for this theme. If this were a movie in this setting, it would most likely result in a bloodbath by the end credits, so the lack of violence here is surprising and welcome.

The other thing that is nice is that all of your money and assets are hidden until the end of the game. While you can generally tell how well a person is doing by the number of counters they’ve managed to get on the board, you really won’t have an idea of who is winning until the end.

The last thing to mention is that there’s really a lot of different strategies you can take in the game. Safes can pay out huge if you invest in safehouses early, exit tiles can also pay out well, and are a way of edging out the competition towards the end of the game. Alternatively, you can go for “set collection” by scoring the businesses, but the amount of income you lose by doing this can make late-game very tricky (and might even result in a blown escape.)

What Could Be Improved

It’s still early, so it’s understandable, but the rulebook is rough. Do yourself a favor and skip it in favor of watching the rules video posted on the Kickstarter.

Notes on the Tabletopia Version

The Tabletopia port is excellent, showing off the game’s excellent art, with no placeholders present on the table. The issues that do exist have to do with stacking components and isn’t Escape Plan’s fault. When you move the big city tiles, meeples and tiles sitting on top can behave in erratic ways, sometimes resulting in a meeple flying across the screen, or a lost tile.

Conclusion

Each game of Escape Plan plays out differently than the last, and there’s a lot to like here in player counts 2-5. The solo rules are still in prototype format so we decided not to take a look at that here. If you like any of Lacerda’s previous games, or heavy theme with your heavy strategy, then Escape Plan is a no-brainer to back.

Time To Learn: About 2 hours reading the rules/watching a video.
Price: Currently free on Tabletopia. $79 pledge on Kickstarter.

Final Ratings
Thom: (9/10) Excellent - very much enjoy playing.
Jinko: (8/10) Very good - enjoy playing and would suggest it.

I hope you enjoyed our review. We do a Kickstarter roundup, review games on Tabletopia, and recently-arrived Kickstarters. If you'd like to subscribe to our reviews, you can do so here: http://sgl.la/get-updates/

You can also find SGL on Facebook and @SGLincorporated on Twitter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Goncalves
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback. Specially on the 2 player scalling. We play our Lacerda games 2P 95% of the times so its a huge deal for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more interested in scaling the other way. Fewer and fewer games these days seem to support 5 players well, if at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marne
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mb
GusG4Real wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. Specially on the 2 player scalling. We play our Lacerda games 2P 95% of the times so its a huge deal for us.

I'm looking to back this with a second Lacerda game - I'd like something that plays well at two and scales. What would your two-player recommendation be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much all of his games play well with two. I enjoy Vinhos a lot with two as there’s not as many components to move around as some of his others, something that becomes more pronounced with fewer players as rounds go by quicker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Denick
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Vinhos with two, but for sure Kanban is not as good with 2 as it is with 4. I haven't gotten a 5-player game in yet on Tabletopia, but I'm guessing it would be pretty good as it would just increase the number of times you need to come up with a backup plan. In the two-player game, this does happen as Sandra somehow knows where you want to go the next turn (this is due to the fact she doesn't act unless the location is on the board and she hasn't gone to it previously.) But I think it would happen even more in 5 player, which I think would be pretty fun.

That said, I think this is the first Lacerda 5-player game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There used to be co2, but Vital designed it as a 4p game, while the publisher made it a %5pm game.
Now, with CO2 Second Chance it has been scaled back to 4p max.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From just reading the rules, I find the upkeep of Sandra quite boring.
I think that I would rather play the gallerist or Lisboa as a 2p game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo Goncalves
Portugal
Lisboa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smorpheus wrote:
I haven't played Vinhos with two, but for sure Kanban is not as good with 2 as it is with 4

I cant disagree more. To me Kanban is the best 2P experience thanks to Sandra closing areas. Scales superbly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Denick
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I think 2P is OK, but I'd much prefer to play with 3 or 4. I wouldn't say that for a lot of AP-prone games (I much prefer 2 for Terraforming Mars.) In Kanban, Sandra functions almost identically in 2 player vs 4 player, she just skips around a bit more in 4 because it's more likely she won't have a spot at a workstation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GusG4Real wrote:
smorpheus wrote:
I haven't played Vinhos with two, but for sure Kanban is not as good with 2 as it is with 4

I cant disagree more. To me Kanban is the best 2P experience thanks to Sandra closing areas. Scales superbly

I think it's a good game with two but suffers a bit with the meeting goal cards; also, why I don't like it as much as Vinhos with two is the overhead upkeep of various components start to grow in relationship to game time at the lower counts. I felt I was adjusting tokens much more often than in Vinhos. I haven't tried Gallerist with two, but I suspect I might have the same issue with that game, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
vagelis
Greece
Πειραιάς
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those they have experience with other lacerda's games,is this his lighter game? What do you think??
I haven't play any of his game but this one looks very good and the theme oooo i love it!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is.

I usually can explain Lisboa in 30' and Kanban in 15', I think this will require 20', a bit less maybe.

The problem here is that each location has a slightly different ability, and you have to explain them all to let the players take informed decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thom Denick
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's some unusual concepts here that take a while to get your head around. The learn how to play video on the KS is about 50 minutes long. That said, this is probably the easiest/quickest of his games to learn/play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
flag msg tools
designer
badge
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban, 2015 - The Gallerist, 2016 - Vinhos Deluxe, 2017 - Lisboa, 2018 - Escape Plan, CO2 Second Chance and Dragon Keepers - Maybe: 2019 - ROTW Portugal and On Mars, 2020 - Kanban Deluxe Edition, Mercato
mbmbmbmbmb
Faso74it wrote:
Yes it is.

I usually can explain Lisboa in 30' and Kanban in 15', I think this will require 20', a bit less maybe.

The problem here is that each location has a slightly different ability, and you have to explain them all to let the players take informed decisions.

You just need to explain the locations when they show up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:
Faso74it wrote:
Yes it is.

You just need to explain the locations when they showed up.

Good point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to back both Vinhos and Escape plan.

Is Escape Plan similar in complexity to the Vinhos Deluxe-edition simplified rule set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stills999 wrote:
I'm looking to back both Vinhos and Escape plan.

Is Escape Plan similar in complexity to the Vinhos Deluxe-edition simplified rule set?

Escape Plan is simpler than Vinhos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.