Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This folder is for exchanging community ideas for improving the tournament format for next year's event. Players from the 2018 event (full event report will follow in a separate folder) provided some initial ideas during the prize award ceremony.

Here is my current thinking based on this input.

Proposed Design for 2019 WBC tournament

Format: 4 rounds of a Swiss tournament over two consecutive days. i.e. players are not eliminated but rather score points over each round with the top 6 players being ranked at the tournament end.

Schedule: Wednesday/Thursday, Thursday/Friday, or Friday/Saturday are options to consider. We have 3 time slots for each day - AM/PM/Evening to run each round. Considering PM of first day followed by AM of second day with a one hour spellbook registration period at the beginning of day two. For example, DAY ONE is R1 - 1:00pm R2 - 3:00pm and DAY TWO is R3 - 9:00am R4 - 12:00 noon.

Rounds: Rounds 1 and 2 would use standard books published by AW for the 4 Arena core set mages PLUS any of the available Arena expansion mages. Players must play different spellbooks in these two rounds.

Rounds 3 and 4 would require each player to select a single custom or standard spellbook from among any of the Arena expansions, but not use Promo or Academy cards. [Note - this is a change from official Arcane Wonders tournament policy where Academy cards are allowed.]

Demos: I would run a separate demo for each mage core set and expansion set so players can learn some of the new rules and play style of each mage. This would require 6 demos which could be adjusted based on player input from those that attend each session.

Seminars: Two seminars would be scheduled to cover Apprentice Rules and Battleground: Domination Rules for any players who would like to learn these rules.

Room Configuration: Considering changing our preference to 6-foot round tables for the event and seminars.

Let the discussion begin …
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank McNally
United States
Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
6' rounds would be inefficient space wise for a 2-player game, you might also you might find yourself over in Rathskeller which is not as nice as Seasons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points. On Saturday we had to move our table setup to allow for the Ticket to Ride and Power Grid tournaments. I thought moving to rounds might get us into Wintergreen or Laurel which are much smaller rooms.

For the Battleground: Domination seminar we will need a round to fit the 4-player map setups. Some of these are 5 zones wide. Perhaps I will simply make a request for a specific room next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wintergreen and Laurel both had the same rectangular tables as Seasons both this year and last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Cannon
United States
Annapolis
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am getting ready to finalize the event format and dates for the tournament in July.

Are there any preferences for changing dates to early in the week to avoid conflicts with all the finals in other tournaments which often fall on the last Saturday?

A) Wed and Thu Rounds
B) Wed and Fri Rounds
C) Thu and Fri Rounds
D) Tue (PM) and Wed Rounds
E) Thu and Sat Rounds [i.e. Keep the same days as past tournaments]

I am also planning to remove the restriction to only play AW published spellbooks for the first two rounds. Players can use these for any Arena mage if they don't own a copy of the game. However, players will now be able to just design one spellbook to use throughout the tournament and register it with the GM at the beginning of Round 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.