11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: Wargaming with Kids - is it possible? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirill Mandryka
msg tools
Hi friends!
I`d like to tell you about my experience with playing kids. I have played different wargames more than 13 years and never thought that i would creat my own unique wargame Verge of War, and it will be so interesting for kids!
Probably most of people think that wargame is for real serious men but it`s not! Children love wargames more than chess, because "chess are boring" (like my daughter says )
Firstly they like miniatures (surely!), they like to assemble and paint them. These actions train child fingers (fine motor skills), perseverance, diligence, attentiveness and surely imagination. Not to mention strategic thinking and the development of tactical skills!ninja

And here's what I tell you, the further I develop my game, the more I understand that this is a great hobby for life. A hobby that will save us and our kids from boredom, from drugs and can help our children to break away from computers and gadgets, become closer to parents, find friends and play wargames both for their own pleasure and with sporting interest.

What do you think about it?

Here are some fotos with kids, i hope you`ll like them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Algelion wrote:
These actions train child fingers (fine motor skills), perseverance, diligence, attentiveness

Absolutely; wargaming is great for kids!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
She's right into the spirit!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirill Mandryka
msg tools
Thanks for great foto! How old is she?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirill Mandryka
msg tools
AlexFS wrote:
She's right into the spirit!

And that is so cool! Role-play princess!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirill Mandryka
msg tools
At first the rules seems difficult, but with our help the children start to understand the basic principles already to the second turn of the first round.
Even the girls likes to play and assemble models.

Games (that we played together) abounded with fun and dramatic moments. For example, a little boy threw up about twenty sixes during the game! Wow! 0_0😮😣😢
One of the guys came to the camp specially when he found out that we would play games.

All the children were divided into teams of 3 kids, and we arranged a small competition. Everyone really liked it, it was fun, despite the fact that the games were delayed right up to the dinner.

The organizers of the camp invited us to come to them again, on the Birthday of the camp in October.
Is it a success?
We think so😊😇

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Laycock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I regular play wargames with my two boys who are 6 and 8 years old.

We all play Gaslands and Frostgrave.

I also play 1775: Rebellion with my eldest.

Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirill Mandryka
msg tools
Thanks! Good games for the whole family!
But i really surprised to hear about 6 years old wargamer! That`s amazing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Laycock
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Algelion wrote:
Thanks! Good games for the whole family!
But i really surprised to hear about 6 years old wargamer! That`s amazing!

Sorry for the slow response.

Yes it's pretty good.

I do sometimes have to walk him through his decisions, but if he wants to stick to his guns then I let him.

Gaslands is ideal because it's just playing with Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars which they've got boxes full of. We've converted up teams, adding weapons and armour and painting them up, but it's entirely playable with just plain cars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it.
badge
His marvels of artifice pale in comparison to the developing machinery of his mind.
mbmbmbmbmb
I play Bitskrieg with my six year old.
It's a dice chucking tactical tank game. She's learning about range, flanking, and probabilities. The game is a little simple, but it definitely teaches the basics so hopefully when I pull out MBT (second edition) next year she won't be overwhelmed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michel Kangro
Germany
Bonn
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing Red Alert with my 8yo, althoug we have to play with open hands because his english isn't up to the task yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.