Hide
6 Posts

Kemet: Seth» Forums » General

Subject: Can Purple tiles be used in free-for-all? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Black
msg tools
I was curious what cards from this expansion can be used in the free-for-all version of the game.

1. Can the purple tiles be used in the regular version?
2. What about the DI cards?
3. What can be used in the free-for-all version?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnaud MATAGOT
France
Bordeaux
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Those Purple tiles and DI are not made for the original gameplay.
We are looking at a way to make it possible and interesting to play though, so maybe one day!

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Black
msg tools
Thanks Arnaud! I ABSOLUTELY love the way Kemet plays now. It's in my top 5 games of all time for sure. I'd love to just add more to the original way as well, so hopefully ya'll can find a way to incorporate the purple tiles! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cristi Resser
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
Hey Guys

You can find a variant posted by me in variants section which uses the pieces from Kemeth Seth into a classic game.

Hope you like it

Best regards
Cristi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Harrison
United States
Glens Falls
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arnaud4matagot wrote:
Hello,

Those Purple tiles and DI are not made for the original gameplay.
We are looking at a way to make it possible and interesting to play though, so maybe one day!

Have fun playing,
Arnaud.

Thanks Arnaud. Kemet is my absolute favorite game and I own all other expansions/promos for it. I am looking forward to trying out Seth at Essen! I don't know if I would get a 1-vs-All to the table though, so whether I want to buy Seth or not will depend on my experience at Essen and that of my friends.

If there are ways to integrate the Seth components into the main "free for all" Kemet game, I would buy this without a second thought
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimitris Siagkas
msg tools
I have come up with the following variant which we found fun to use in our games:

- All Purple Tiles of Lv >= 2 are available for players to buy (Allowing Lv 1 tiles could cause issues, since some are mostly/only useful to Seth, while others, like the +1 PP when opponents use a Pray action, scale rather significantly with the number of players, causing imbalance).

- For a player to get a Purple Tile, he must:

1) Have the required pyramid levels (own 3 different coloured Pyramids of Lv >= [N] for a [N]th Lv Purple Tile)

2) Be at the Delta Temple.

3) Play the "Buy a Tile" action, of any colour corresponding to one of his built pyramids.

4) Instead of paying the cost in Prayer Points, the player must sacrifice a number of units at the Delta Temple equal to the Purple Tile Lv. He then gets the desired tile.

We found that, while this allows the generally more powerful purple tiles in the game, requiring the sacrifice of units instead of prayer points reduces the momentum of the players that buy the purple tiles. It also:

a) Increases the importance of the Delta Temple comparative to other temples, which is something we have not yet identified as a problem, even though it increases the value of certain tiles (I'm looking at you Khnum's Sphinx!).

b) Causes move actions to be played earlier in the game by ambitious players looking to buy some powerful tiles, leading to more bloody games.

If a player goes for the Delta to buy tiles, others can focus on the other temples or wait for him to pay the unit cost so that they can attack a weakened troop.

Some things to consider:

a) There are certain tiles that could be especially powerful in games with a specific number of players, such as the Purple Tile that steals one Divine Intervention card at night from another player in a game of 2 Players. Since Kemet with 2 Players is a "zero sum" game, depriving an opponent of a strong asset such as a DI card while adding it to your own mayyy just be a little bit powerful, especially since due to turn order he can be getting the latter's new night DI card.

b) In 8 VP games there are many cases where nobody will be able to buy Lv4 Purple Tiles, since the last Lv4 Pyramids (if raised at all) usually aim to provide the final VP for a player, and in those final moments of the game there is almost always no reason for someone to invest 2+ actions to buy even a powerful tile, while others compete for those last VPs. For that reason, in 8 VP games, we have considered allowing Lv [N] purple tiles to be eligible to be bought when players have 3 Pyramids of Lv [N-1] (which means a player can buy Lv2 purple tiles with 3 Lv1 Pyramids and so on), but without reducing the cost (a Lv2 Purple Tile will still cost 2 unit sacrifices).

There you have it, you can tweak and modify this all you want to suit your play needs and preferences or use it as inspiration to create your own variant. Either way, let me know what you think of it if you ever try it or incorporate any elements of it in your games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.