Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle E
United States
Sheboygan
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Commands & Colors: Ancients digital is now available on PC and MAC platforms on Steam. 30% off full price till 9/19.

https://www.hexwar.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Re: C&C Ancients Now Available on Steam
Just waiting on the iOS version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad G
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bakon wrote:

For tablets only........I really hate when they do that. How about you let me decide if my screen is too small to play your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fedel
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bakon wrote:

x2

This would be so fun to have on my iPad, especially for traveling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Henderson
United States
Canton
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Any word on how long Before the iOS version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hellsten
United Kingdom
Thatcham
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played two games on PC. Seems pretty good so far. Can't comment on the AI. It's impossible to know how good it is because you don't know what their hand is.

There were a couple of small bugs that didn't interfere with play (the last stand of archers from one of my units didn't leave the screen after they died, but didn't prevent use of the hex).

Very good price too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just created an entry on VGG for it, see https://videogamegeek.com/items/videogame/pending

Edit: It has been approved: Commands & Colors: Ancients
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
Rockin Rocko wrote:
Wish we could have the option of using the blocks in the game instead of the miniature look.
Like this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franchi wrote:
Like this?
And I wish it would allow playing against another human player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Linneberg
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't this the same company that did the computer versions of 1812: The Invasion of Canada and 1775: Rebellion? Those are terrible. It's almost impossible to lose. I'm a very infrequent player of those games and yet I've never lost vs the AI on either one. They weren't that expensive, but they are useless purchases as whats the point of playing against a terrible AI?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lahl
msg tools
Very initial impressions are that this is probably a missed opportunity for GMT. No multiplayer is a big miss (maybe they add it later?), especially since this game would be very good for asynch play.

This feels like an extremely bare bones, no frills adapation (how hard would it have been to give people the option to use blocks in the game if they wanted?). They are also missing an undo button to use during the phases. Feels right now like a C- to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERSCHEL SARNOFF
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Playing it now. Not to fond of the graphics, seems OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From a marketing point of view this seems weird. Only 15 scenarios, of the about 150 existing ones? No multiplayer? Bad AI? Not very enticing, whatever the price...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasAH wrote:
I just created an entry on VGG for it, see https://videogamegeek.com/items/videogame/pending

It has been approved: Commands & Colors: Ancients
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There appear to be a number of problems, some serious.

There seems to be no explanation of the program functions, symbols, or much else.

Its necessary to carefully co-ordinate between the phase title at the top of the screen and the scales button, to end each phase, BUT the Movement phase ends automatically, so be careful not to click and end the Battle phase by mistake.

The screen drunkenly rotates when doing retreats before combat. It changes view away from the action at certain times.

The unit informational symbols are obtrusive. Adding a letter and number would be better [as on the Vassal program]. Red Roman mediums [which are usually blue] is confusing. Red text on a red background in the Log box isn't helpful.

There seems to be an occasional problem with units retreating off-board, especially if they should be eliminated as a result. An unsupported 2-strength light cavalry with two flags rolled against it retreated three hexes of the five hexes available. Another unit failed to disappear from the baseline, though it was inactive.

A cross on the move template -- to show an Aux cannot shoot after moving two hexes -- makes it look as if it can't move to those hexes.

No indication of how to clear saved games.

Its easy to make mistakes.

'I am Spartacus' card doesn't work at all. After the card dice were rolled, the game progressed to the opponent's turn. There is no explanation of how to use command dice rolled for cards such as this one or Rally....and none seem to work anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Williams
United Kingdom
Beckenham, KENT
flag msg tools
mbmb
Seriously, No Multiplayer!!??

This went from an instant buy to an instant non-buy. I have the digital version of Twilight Struggle from GMT which is amazing. It's amazing, in no small part, because I can play vs friends around the world.

I read that GMT are also bringing the COIN series to digital. Are they going to be solo play only too?

Incredible. Crazy. Depressing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister P
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The developers of Twilight Struggle and the upcoming Labyrinth and COIN games is Playdek - not Hexwar. It would be good to know if CCA will add multiplayer at some point. I’m sure they will continue to iron out bugs as they have done with Great War but added functionality/expansions etc. is a mystery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. Seems faster than Great War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is both 'AI Speed' [= Careful] in general settings and AI [= Hard] in scenarios. Its not always very intelligent.

It appears possible to play more than one card. I suppose the capacity to get it wrong this badly shows why I'm such a good tester.

An expected battle-back after a bonus combat didn't occur.

A 32-inch screen works quite well. A 55-inch would show off the nice unit graphics better.

I like the dice-rolling and arrow cloud animations. An interesting and slightly worrying thing shown by the after-action stats page is that a scenario winner tends to roll a lot more dice than the losing side, say 80-60 in a six-flag game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aforandy wrote:
There appear to be a number of problems, some serious.

There seems to be no explanation of the program functions, symbols, or much else.

Its necessary to carefully co-ordinate between the phase title at the top of the screen and the scales button, to end each phase, BUT the Movement phase ends automatically, so be careful not to click and end the Battle phase by mistake.

The screen drunkenly rotates when doing retreats before combat. It changes view away from the action at certain times.

The unit informational symbols are obtrusive. Adding a letter and number would be better [as on the Vassal program]. Red Roman mediums [which are usually blue] is confusing. Red text on a red background in the Log box isn't helpful.

There seems to be an occasional problem with units retreating off-board, especially if they should be eliminated as a result. An unsupported 2-strength light cavalry with two flags rolled against it retreated three hexes of the five hexes available. Another unit failed to disappear from the baseline, though it was inactive.

A cross on the move template -- to show an Aux cannot shoot after moving two hexes -- makes it look as if it can't move to those hexes.

No indication of how to clear saved games.

Its easy to make mistakes.

'I am Spartacus' card doesn't work at all. After the card dice were rolled, the game progressed to the opponent's turn. There is no explanation of how to use command dice rolled for cards such as this one or Rally....and none seem to work anyway.

I had a frustrating first game last night. I encountered some of the issues you mentioned. There is a potentially great game here, but the issues you raise should have been addressed in playtesting. I really hope that updates address these soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just crazy that, with a game 12 years old already and with thousands of players all around the world, they couldn't think about asking a few of them to try the App and report the (large number of) errors...

Maybe the developers have never played the real game (crazy too).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not touching this with a ten foot pole until/if they iron out the bugs and add multiplayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oneway76 wrote:
Commands & Colors: Ancients digital is now available on PC and MAC platforms on Steam. 30% off full price till 9/19.

https://www.hexwar.com/
For reference, original price is $20 USD. With the discount, that puts it at $14

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel ma
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
I bought yesterday, and i take a refund.

I love the CC board game, but this is a VERY BAD adaptation.
I am very angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
I encountered a bug where if a leader retreats through 2 enemy units, the game crashes. Why the AI choose to retreat the leader through 2 enemy units was also an issue, as it didn't have to do that. I replayed the turn 3 times and it did the same thing every time.

The AI didn't seem terrible to me, and I'm an experienced player. The graphics were OK. Sometimes dice seemed to land cock-eyed but it was possible to see what was rolled at the bottom of the screen. It seems to lack an Undo button, which is very annoying. I also had a problem ending the movement phase prematurely by mistake.

If they add multiplayer at some point I will keep playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |