Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I fear that I jumped on this too quickly.

It seems to be hacked together and has a load of bugs and basic rule errors (hopefully they will be resolved quickly).

I don’t like the aesthetics and would have preferred an option to have blocks rather than animated graphics. Nostalga aside I think the blocks making it easier to judge the strength of units at a glance rather than having to deduce based on unit type and the number of soldiers.

Although it has only been released on PC so far it smacks of being designed for smaller tablet screens. The consequence is when viewed on a 24” monitor it just looks like a small graphics that are on 400x zoom so look poor quality. A good example, is the very first impression, the Hexwar logo. On my 24” screen this looks all vague and fuzzy just like when someone takes a scan of a logo from a letterhead and then enlarges it to go on a poster.

I have played around with the quality settings which has a number of levels from very low (which the game defaults to, regardless of your hardware) to ultra but I can see barely any difference when switching between ‘very low’ and ‘ultra’. It really does look like tablets are the targetted hardware and the PC version is just a port.

Don’t like the huge unit symbols they obscure the view. Again probably okay on a tablet but look silly when made so big on a PC screen.

Cheers,

Nigel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problems are there (and I would prefer blocks, too), but despite all that I enjoyed the so far only match I have played, even if some things were a bit different than with the board game.

Definitively good enough to keep (at this price) and play, so I hope that they patch the problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aron
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Life is game, you gotta enjoy the journey.
badge
Life may knock you down sometimes. Its up to you if you stand up and live your life to the fullest.
mbmbmbmbmb
No blocks for a block board game... really???

It needs the option indeed. I own all CCA modules and I would gladly buy the computergame if it somehow mirrors the look.

Twilight Struggle port to digital is superb! (the way it looks and plays, i dont mention the AI there)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of bugs too! I rolled 4 flags against an light infantry on the home row and he didnt take a single hit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Squires
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
The situation IS getting gratch
badge
Useless, useless, heavy rain, driving into the sea
mbmbmbmbmb
lolopedo wrote:
I bought yesterday, and i take a refund.

I didn't realize you could do this. I'm doing it now....

Seriously what is up with the weird shuffling/flashing letters at the beginning of the turns?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
o0dano0o wrote:
lolopedo wrote:

Seriously what is up with the weird shuffling/flashing letters at the beginning of the turns?

I think I will also opt for a refund. It may send a message to the developers that this kind of poor release is not acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
o0dano0o wrote:

That's the steps of the End Phase cycled through automatically. I had to chose this in Settings.

Slight AI concerns involve three elephant units at Bagradas moved into trefoil formation, so the lead heffalump had his retreat blocked by the two behind him. Rolled two individual flags on him, which caused a stampede.

The people at Hexwar are keen to pass on player criticisms to their programmers. It does seem odd they would release a product in poor and indeed unplayable condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arontje wrote:

Twilight Struggle port to digital is superb! (the way it looks and plays, i dont mention the AI there)...

But that was Playdek. This SHOULD have been Playdek. GMT is absolutely at fault for selecting HexWar and allowing them to debut one of their hottest games this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano Sarti
Italy
flag msg tools
Honestly, I can’t understand bad reviews.
The Hexwar version of CCA deserves a lot of praise: actually, it makes the Vassal module really shining...

Out of jokes: this is an awful digital conversion of probably the best light war-game ever published (at least in my opinion).

The program is full of bugs, lacks of multiplayer mode and has an horrible UI, as well as ridiculous animations and more than ridiculous AI. Finally, Romans, Cartaghinians and Syracusans troops differ from each other only by their colors: scanned Vassal block units are definitely better…

I think a few people still enjoys it, since the Borg system is a real masterpiece, but I fear we will have to wait a long time before we can play a nice digital version of it. What a pity!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://steamcommunity.com/games/699870/announcements/detail...
Quote:
We are taking on board all the feedback we have been getting and we are working hard to address any issues.

There will be an update coming within the next 2 weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Leamons
United States
Scotts Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fear The Fin
mbmbmbmbmb
Did anybody mention how the camera starts moving randomly around the game board when a retreat happens at the highest zoom level? There’s no recovering - I’ve had to save the game, exit, and resume to get control of the screen back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
o0dano0o wrote:
lolopedo wrote:

I think I will also opt for a refund. It may send a message to the developers that this kind of poor release is not acceptable.

I got my refund. I don't particularly like paying to be a guinea pig playtester....

If Hexwar come back with a playable bug-free implementation, with a Twilight Struggle-like polish, then I'll re-buy it, so I'll keep a watching brief on this, and just look to enjoy playing cardboard (and blocks) until then....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
....and the program always ignores whatever Flags it can, and it slightly misinterprets the Inspired Leadership cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
o0dano0o wrote:
lolopedo wrote:

I got my refund. I don't particularly like paying to be a guinea pig playtester....

If Hexwar come back with a playable bug-free implementation, with a Twilight Struggle-like polish...

laugh

HexWar doesn't care. Neither, apparently, does GMT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a friendly reminder that there are people working in these companies, and that disparaging comments may reduce the willingness to solve issues a game has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasAH wrote:
Just a friendly reminder that there are people working in these companies, and that disparaging comments may reduce the willingness to solve issues a game has.

I know GMT isn't that petty. I hope for those who have bought C&C:A and not already sought a refund that HexWar isn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Langenfeld
United States
Shoreview
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather slow for no apparent reason. If it's the animations, I'd just as soon turn those off for a more brisk feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theaty Hannington
United States
Moscow
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pleased. Never played the tabletop version, and as a way to learn the basics of the game, this is great! Especially since the tabletop is on P500 right now. So, I can buy this as a trailer, P500 the tabletop (set to print before the end of this year), and still spend less money than buying the tabletop version at full price. I'm thrilled!

Yes, there are some bugs and the lack of multiplayer means that out of five of my friends interested, none bought it. But this is a cool game. Glad I got to try it with somebody else figuring out the rules for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Update is Live

Added more logging to help track down the black screen on mac issue.

Fixed camera rotation logic so it only occurs on turn switch for local multiplayer

Disabled attack camera

Fixed freeze when enemy tries to retreat after player uses first strike

Skip dice rolls now save properly

Support form now has upper and lower case

Cannae scenario - carthage starts with 6 cards and rome start with 4

Line command now makes all units move 1

Prevents missile units from firing after using double time

Warriors in a ford now battle with 2 dice

Light bowmen have a combat range of 3

Light footmen now move through friendly units when supposed to

Corrected the symbols for Carthaginian and Syracusan

Fixed units getting stuck when they were waiting for an order

Fix for discard pile causing the card select phase to end

We will have a second patch shortly to fix any other issues that have been flagged.

Please let us know if you have any issues with the fixes at support@hexwar.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I can confirm that local multiplayer works fine now (as does AI vs AI )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERSCHEL SARNOFF
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
tried to play the updated version, the camera wandered all over the map and it was extremely difficult to move the game board, almost impossible. Not ready for prime time. The fixes made it worse/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
giuseppe armagno
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hei Hex War !

please give a look here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TybVHvJg9I

work done 10 years ago !!!!

Is very strange!!

other hexagon wargames made by Hex War have good graphics,
even if it is not excellent

with The Great War the graphics (which I do not like) respected that of the boardgame, and the gameplay was well implemented

I do not understand the choice for poor and miserable graphics

the splendor of the colors and armies of the ancient age was absolutely obscured

no I even want to talk about card graphics

the game also does not return the boardgame experience at all,
one of the most successful boardgame ever

CCA has very high market potential that will be lost !!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
t341 wrote:
tried to play the updated version, the camera wandered all over the map and it was extremely difficult to move the game board, almost impossible. Not ready for prime time. The fixes made it worse/
I had the wandering camera with the new version once, but was able to move back using WASD.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERSCHEL SARNOFF
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
played the updated Mac version, there were no problems and it was easy and fun to play. The PC version was still a mess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wignall
United States
Beaverton
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Couldn't agree more. Feels like the devs just wanted to cash in early like Steam Early Access to get some cash. Too bad they may have tainted the whole product now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |