Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike many here, I've never been into Ancients all that much! But I got into this game in a rather odd way. For one thing, although I have a miniatures collection of over 30,000 painted figures, I have no Ancient toy soldiers! This is because I collect at the 1/32 scale, (54mm or 2 1/2" scale) and accurate historical Ancients for this Big Size have only become seriously available in the last fifteen years or so. So living in a NYC apartment, that was right out, since I already was almost full to storage room capacity--these days I'm "overfull" as visitors to my Game Palace well know!

However, I have a pal who is a mainly Ancients guy, and he got me to try the Core Game. Since he didn't purchase the expansions and another pal got me the Core Game, I decided that my Ancients Project would consist of C&CA! So since then, with some books suggested by AP (my Ancients Pal) and a few minis battles with his own figure collection, I'm been learning about the period, which covers as many years as all the others combined!

So as mentioned in my other post on this forum, I've played through the over 100 published scenarios in the Core Game and Six Expansions, and even fooled around a bit with the Scenario X Fan Made Biblical Era system. Yesterday I took out Imperial Rome, to do some later scenarios from the 300 AD era, which are only 200 years before the Belisarius Buyzantine age which will open up the new upcoming C&C Medieval game.

Reacquainting myself with the Imperial Romans in the final scenario, which has lots of cavalry, I was reminded that the horse branch is supposedly going to have a heavier emphasis in the new Medieval game. It is expected, for example, that heavy armored cavalry will be able to ignore some hits from lighter units, as the Samurai class units do in Samurai Battles (soon to be reissued with blocks and larger battles by GMT).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
Jon,

Thanks for the background.

I too came to CCA in a different way. I wasn’t into Ancient history at all and have never had an interest in combat or military history. A buddy of mine bought M44 and like most Americans I was familiar with WW2 via school, books, and film. After a few plays I decided to read up on the game and came across Ancients. I read it was less range focused and more about holding lines and melee. I knew zip about Hannibal, Alexander, and just a little about Ceaser (via Shakespeare) outside of their names. But I thought it would be fun to check it out.

Fast-forward 10yrs and 100+ plays and it is my favorite war game, C&C title, and one of my few 10s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I simply got interested in Ancient history, mostly Peloponessian War (courtesy of Kagan), and looked around for an Ancients game. C&C Ancients seemed like fun, and the Greek expansion had just been released.

Little did I know I was opening the door to a C&C addiction..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot even imagine 30,000 painted miniatures!

I did an Orc-decent job on some miniatures for playing D&D back in high school. I can't imagine doing 100!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Russell,

goo I'm an old hobbyist, and have been collecting/painting them since the 1960s. They cover most periods from Medieval to the Korean War. I also have the terrain and vehicles to go with them. I've played over 100 games with these "little men" (Our Founder, H.G. Wells). My regular column "Those Fightin' Fifty Fours" for years in the old MWAN magazine helped popularize the scale for other than skirmishes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel [working on TENNISmind]
France
Caen
(from Valencia, Spain)
flag msg tools
designer
My latest game: Big*Bang, a simple abstract about the first minutes of the Universe
badge
My best-rated game: TETRARCHIA, about the tetrarchy that saved Rome
mbmbmbmbmb
I got into C&C Ancients before C&C:Ancients!

PS/ As I said in the image comments, I had M44 since 2004 and these minis, and started to think about adapting M44 rules to them. Until I found out that CCA was going to be published!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
[..] I have a miniatures collection of over 30,000 painted figures, I have no Ancient toy soldiers! This is because I collect at the 1/32 scale, (54mm or 2 1/2" scale) [..]
This must be a typo! 30,000 on 1/32 scale?!!? wow

And what do you do with them? : I thought 1/72 was about the largest for wargaming and 1/32 only used for diorama like things, painting contests. What system(s) use 1/32? Or is it just a matter of a larger playing surface?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laugh Live and learn, buddy. People have been playing full battle games with the Big Scale now for years! There are all kinds of rules systems available out there; I use my own. You can check out many online vendors like The Toy Solider Company, Michigan Toy Soldiers, San Diego Toy Soldiers, etc.

There are Conventions held in your own country with them every year, so look around online. And yes, you do use a lot of table space!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clay stretch
United States
Panama City beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Jon, what amazed me when I started to look at ancients seriously was the huge expanse of time. Age of chariot, to Adrianopol, we are looking at what, 1500 years here?. I can hardly wrap my head around that time frame. When there are 50-100 plus rule sets for Napoleonic wars covering just shy of 2 decades? I was always a horse and musket, & pike and shot guy. I played M44 overseas, (great way to unwind after being in the field for 2 weeks), and when I came home after a year and a half, CCA and 2 or 3 expansions were already out. CCA fired M44, then CCN fired Battlecry. I started playing Armati and collecting ancients to play in miniature as well as CCA. I'm retired on a fixed income now, downsized to a small cozy house, CCA and CCN are perfect for our life style as far as space time etc. ancients warfare I found to be an enormous opportunity to learn a huge chunk of military history I knew Nothing about. (Though I still have 1400+ Crimean war).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clay,

Yes, I like to say that the Ancients Period is as long as all the others combined! Of course, technology changes more slowly over these years. I have the old Chariot Lords board game for the earlier era, but it is strategic rather than tactical.

Years ago, Richard Borg said he'd need a different game system for Age of Chariots/Biblical Warfare, and hasn't published one yet. He also said he had an entire Ancients Naval game, but ditto for that. At least C&C Ancients is coming next year, starting with Byzantium (very early "Middle Ages").

Mr. Borg does not write much in the way of Designers Notes, so we never know what is next for him very far ahead! I suppose he wants to be subtle, in dealing with all the different publishers. I offered to play test for him, but he said he doesn't run any 'distant' testing groups. It makes you want to move to Florida!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:

Yes, I like to say that the Ancients Period is as long as all the others combined! Of course, technology changes more slowly over these years. I have the old Chariot Lords board game for the earlier era, but it is strategic rather than tactical.

Years ago, Richard Borg said he'd need a different game system for Age of Chariots/Biblical Warfare,...

If there is one thing I am disappointed in with CCA is that there are none of the "Light Bow Chariots" that are listed in the original game's unit capabilities chart. (The Barbarian Light Chariots are completely different.)

I don't know history at all well enough to know if there were engagements with these during the "normal" CCA period.

I guess if I have a hope, it would be that AoC/BW described would be an adjunct to CCA and not its own game by itself. (I've done plenty of stickering, and I frankly don't like it that much!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Check on Alessandro's Fan site for the above mentioned System X, the fan made Biblical Age add to CCN. You find them there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls