Mark K.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This arrived in the mail today:

On one hand I am happy to own these expansions and look forward to playing them. On the other hand I dread stickering all those blocks. And since I bought the base game preowned it will be my very first time stickering.

Do you guys have any tips or tricks to share? Or just some emotional support?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fedel
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A podcast and a fine scotch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Kissling
Switzerland
Olten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I am in a minority, but I always enjoyed stickering these
Just listen to a good podcast (Good Board Ugly, Long View, So very wrong about games, Harold on Games etc.) or an audiobook, you could also "watch" a movie...
YOU CAN DO IT!

edit: Matthew is right, add a good scotch. preferebly heavily peated!
edit edit: but not too much, otherwise the stickers are off centered...*shudder*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
I also enjoyed stickering the blocks. It doesn't take as long as painting up all the models for an army.

However, if you don't like doing it, separate them into sections so you only have a few to do. Then a few more...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Sula
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I used tweezers to hold and position the stickers onto the blocks.
Helped keep things aligned more easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Listening" to something is good. Trying to watch something on television doesn't work for me.

I develop a flow where I actually have two stickers at a time on finger tips to handle each side of the block. Place them carefully in position. If happy, press them, add them to a stack of like-sized blocks. When you get 5 or 6 in the stack, pick up the stack and press again, rotating which ones are on the end. This will get your stickers solidly 'stuck' to the blocks.

If it's tedious, do one unit type at a time-- like ALL the Auxilia for one side-- and decided if you want to do another. Bag them after you finish each unit type.

Count carefully the number of blocks each type is SUPPOSED to get. There are always some extra stickers and generally a few extra blocks, but if you just sticker all the "medium infantry" you find, you'll end up doing too many and then not have enough blocks for some other unit type. Bless GMT. Recognizing this problem, they usually put the "spares" in a completely different place and clearly labelled as SPARES, but some folks overlook things like that. You can save the spares in the bottom of the box (and the spare blocks in a baggie) and they will be there if, sometime in the future, a block turns up missing.

As someone else said, you can get into this and it can actually be kind of enjoyable. (But indeed, the C&C games are one time when "used" has some advantages over "shrinkwrap"-- that is unless you got someone who did a terrible job of stickering!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leslie King
United Kingdom
Abbotts Ann
Hants
flag msg tools
In the playbook it tells you how many blocks you need for each type, so if you don’t want to do too much just do the leaders or perhaps a cavalry unit or two. When you feel more like it do some infantry units. You will be surprised how quickly you will get them done that way.

I find doing it tedious, ever more so than counter clipping but I’ve done all of the CCA and CCN base games and modules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar 10101
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
Use tweezers as mentioned above, did that as well, is a great help to position the sticker and the press it to apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just watched a marathon session of Deadliest Catch. It really helps to have somthing on you can distract yourself with that still allows you to have enough presence of mind to sticker.

My brother in law only stickers the blocks he needs to currently play the scenario he's on...it works for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As with the others: either a podcast to listen to or a TV show/movie that isn't too distracting. That or music.

I use either tweezers or a hobby knife to position the stickers accurately.

As mentioned earlier, the play book tells you how many blocks you will need for each unit type. Keep in mind there are spare blocks, so those counts are important.

I will do a few units at a time over the course of several evenings. That way it doesn't get too tedious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found it worked well for me to separate out the armies by the right count and put away the extra blocks and then sticker one army group at a time in order to not mistakenly use spare stickers on non spare blocks.
I went back and forth between small and large block groups to keep my eyes focused better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant LaDue
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alternatively, purchase an already fully stickered set like I did! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan D
United States
California
flag msg tools
History of Rome podcast for me! It actually helped me to look forward to playing out some of the battles described therein with the very same blocks I was stickering.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Yoder
United States
Middleton
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I gently bend the sheet just behind the sticker (so they all kind of hang off the paper). Then I use a pair of tweezers to apply them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fedelis wrote:
I love the way you think Fedel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
armed-medic wrote:
Fedelis wrote:

i'm sure the scotch is for cleaning the blocks before applying the sticker. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fedel
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah! No the scotch was purely for enjoying the stickering process.

I personally recommend a Glenlivet 18 or the more affordable 12 to enjoy while getting your army together. I will be doing it again when Commands & Colors Tricorne: The American Revolution – The French & More! arrives soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve N
United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
armed-medic wrote:
Fedelis wrote:
Now if only there was a podcast about scotch. Or maybe a YouTube channel. Now that would be perfect.

*sigh*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Carter
United States
Neptune
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like I've been ninja'd by everyone. ninja

But, just in case, it hasn't sunk in yet: tweezers and podcasts are your friends.

Need a good podcast? May I suggest Michael Duncan's the History of Rome?

http://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/the_history_of_rome/2007...

Happy gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Fuchs
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You must learn patience, grasshopper. This is one of the ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Warsaw
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is really nice experience, you just stop and focus on one thing. Get some music or podcast to listen.

It is really hard today to get a 2 hours just doing some mundane manual work... Everybody is so about being efficient, multitasking, catching couple of angels at the same time... But this is fun - you will enjoy it... like our ancestors peeling potatoes for hours...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I often sticker on an as-needed basis. Sticker up what is needed for the next scenario. Of course, this doesn't work that well if the first few scenarios use most or all of the blocks.

When applying the stickers, I use an X-ACTO knife with a fine-point blade. I put the adhesive side of the sticker on just a little bit of the tip of the blade. I use the X-ACTO to hold the the sticker very close to the surface of the block. I center the sticker and then push down with the thumb of my empty hand. I find I get excellent centering, and can sticker quite fast this way. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
I enjoy stickering.

It has been a few years since I have done this but from memory .... I hold the sticker between thumb and forefinger and bow the middle slightly outwards towards the block, then move my fingers towards the block so they are parallel which centres the sticker to the middle of the block. Then once the middle section is stuck I just let the top and bottom spring into place and rub it firmly to make sure it is stuck.

Good times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy stickering. However, after opening my C&C:A box, I was glad I bought is used. And perfectly stickered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Pearson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used this same tactic with a surgical scalpel with a 10A blade - fine tip helps position it, and only a small section is stuck to the blade itself

Star Boy wrote:

I often sticker on an as-needed basis. Sticker up what is needed for the next scenario. Of course, this doesn't work that well if the first few scenarios use most or all of the blocks.

When applying the stickers, I use an X-ACTO knife with a fine-point blade. I put the adhesive side of the sticker on just a little bit of the tip of the blade. I use the X-ACTO to hold the the sticker very close to the surface of the block. I center the sticker and then push down with the thumb of my empty hand. I find I get excellent centering, and can sticker quite fast this way. YMMV.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |