Lex Major
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know, I know... a licensed COIN!?

It would be GRAND: a map of the Manhattan DMZ (and the "Free States"), asymetric warfare with journalism being one of the factions, the "tribal residents" of the DMZ (who just want to survive),etc. Event cards would easily be pulled from the Comic's storyline.

Really, think about it. How better to widen public interest, bring new people into this magnificent series.

That. Would. Be. Grand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
"Licenced" anything - stop right there.
GMT has pockets, but they are not that deep.

Trick would be to make something almost, but not quite, like what you want but not close enough to attract lawyer-bugs.

SPI did this with Freedom in the Galaxy, which is perilously close to Star Wars but they got away with it because it was a time when IP lawyers were less energetic.
It's also a very good counterinsurgency game.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Major
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True. Wouldn't think a DMZ license would be too expensive, but even then.

So "Alternate modern new american civil War COIN" an official dream of mine it is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't hurt to ask. The artist (Riccardo Burchielli) did the art for Wasteland Express Delivery Service. Reach out to him and see where things are at. Vertigo is DC so it might be difficult but I've seen 'difficult' things to attain or license be extremely easy IF you are first through the door.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ltmurnau wrote:
"Licenced" anything - stop right there.
GMT has pockets, but they are not that deep.
I could be mistaken, but I though that both Space Empires: 4X and SpaceCorp were both (very loosely) based on (relatively unknown) licensed properties?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

This interview goes into John Butterfield's inspirations for SpaceCorp, one of them is that he read a book that helped him to focus on the appropriate themes and mechanics for the game.
The book also had the title "SpaceCorp" but I don't know if it is actual use of a licenced property.

https://theplayersaid.com/2017/07/27/interview-with-john-but...

I suppose it's the degree of looseness that is the potential block, and the associated question in the property owner's head is:
How will sales of Product X be affected by entry of Different Product Y (derived-from-X)?

The thought these days seems to be that if the answer is "+$$$$", then the makers of Product Y should have to pay at least $$, since it's obviously a valuable property to both parties.
Also, if the answer is "+0, or maybe $", then the makers of Product Y should still have to pay something, since it's obviously a valuable property to them.

I'm sure there are plenty of examples of authors, illustrators and others who have said "sure, go ahead, use it for free", and maybe even pitched in to help, but this is DC comics we're talking about... GMT is the biggest fish in our tiny wargame pond, but it's still a minnow in any other body of water.

No one has managed to copyright historical events and situations (yet) so if you stay in the real world you at least don't run into this kind of trouble.
Also, if you construct a wholly new world for your game (or at least one that's provably new, despite the inevitable semi-conscious inspirations and facile comparisons people will make) you save some trouble, but it's a lot of work.
You use someone else's world, expect to pay... and you probably should, but that's another argument.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
For what it's worth, the draft rules of SpaceCorp explicitly acknowledge the book, and list the author as a "technical advisor", but I don't know what the details were, maybe the author's a gamer and just gave them the license for the opportunity, or maybe he was just excited to have a game made based on his book. (Sidenote: I'm kinda excited about hopefully getting SpaceCorp soon!)

Also I wasn't familiar with the "DMZ" comics and hadn't realized that it was a DC property: yeah, you're right, no way that's gonna happen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
Also I wasn't familiar with the "DMZ" comics and hadn't realized that it was a DC property: yeah, you're right, no way that's gonna happen!
Again, can't hurt to ask. Especially since the artist has already been a part of a published game. That's an 'in' that many comic properties don't have and is something worth exploring, IMO. Make a couple calls, talk to a few people, reach out to Riccardo, etc. The wall of impossibility is either there or imagined and I've seen many times where the first person to do the leg work in regards to licensing properties often gets the worm... for WAY cheaper than was initially thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lex Major
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also makes it easy to get an attractive game art-wise, easily

I can dream...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Train
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
For what it's worth, the draft rules of SpaceCorp explicitly acknowledge the book, and list the author as a "technical advisor", but I don't know what the details were, maybe the author's a gamer and just gave them the license for the opportunity, or maybe he was just excited to have a game made based on his book. (Sidenote: I'm kinda excited about hopefully getting SpaceCorp soon!)

You know more about the game than I do.
I know I would be excited if someone wrote a book about one of my games!

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls