Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Finished up a solo play of The Crystal Song, the current introductory scenario now available PnP (a production version is forthcoming in a next wave delivery in 2019). Given three choices, I opted to start on tile 009. I also substituted a production Curse card for the PnP one so that it matched with the Action Deck. Easy enough.

I saved the game 3 times for various reasons, and the initial distaste I had for the Save Feature was unfounded; it is actually quite easy to implement and it also has a logical foundation. Losing my fire each save caused me some grief, but I would expect the flames to eventually die out while I slept anyway.

Exploring the island was very engaging, even if it was in a limited environment. Finding my first hidden number was a thrill!

The story was well-crafted and my explorer (Frenchman Ferdinand Lachapelliere) had multiple memorable moments (no reveals here to avoid spoilers). Tension was nicely balanced with curiosity.

The game was as challenging as it was entertaining. On one occasion I was tempted to pull the 777 card as death loomed, but I barely managed to survive via an unexpected food source. On another occasion I was hopeless at death’s door when an Exploration card miraculously saved me, and so I left the island a bit wiser yet disappointed with my insufficient gatherings (but thankfully still alive).

Mistakes, I made a few. One was forgetting that with a just one action your character can traverse multiple uninterrupted Terrain cards. That gaffe cost me several cards for sure as I plodded along just a single tile at a time. I also had some confusion regarding the combining (and use of such) items, but think I figured it out eventually.

I spent a lot of effort to rid myself of those pesky State cards, and luckily I had a decent amount of success hunting. Managing the Action Deck as my lifeforce was way cool.

As a first-time player it took me about 5 hours to complete (I’m embarrassed to say). But those were 5 very enjoyable hours; I learned a lot and now feel comfortable with the game.

The Crystal Song is a good initiation for those wanting to begin their journey on the 7th Continent. After a brief rest (the game can be somewhat mentally taxing), I’ll be ready to go back to that cursed land - I wonder what adventures still await me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
O Kalich
msg tools
mb
well, that is pretty fast. My first play-through in this game (also Crystal Song) took me around 16 hours. That is including reading the rule book and especially thinking a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I spent several hours away from the table with the rule book and online researching things, but didn’t count that time (only actual sitting down play time).

If so, it could have easily doubled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kalich wrote:
well, that is pretty fast. My first play-through in this game (also Crystal Song) took me around 16 hours. That is including reading the rule book and especially thinking a lot

How’s that possible?
I‘ve finished in maybe 2-3h

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Scholes
United States
Pecham
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to travel through the curses/adventures at a much slower pace. It is not efficient to examine everything but I take time for a lot of sight seeing and careful reflection along the way. In real life ‘tis the difference between satisfyingly in depth travel and hurried tourism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
I saved the game 3 times for various reasons, and the initial distaste I had for the Save Feature was unfounded; it is actually quite easy to implement and it also has a logical foundation.

The Save system is the one stroke of genius that you can't take away from the game, however much you dislike everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls