Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any suggestion is there any solo bot for TS, beside ipad digital version ?

Thx
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Gooden
United States
Worthington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
There are solo play rules in the Files section. I've played multiple games with it and I think it's really good. I've lost as much as I've won, so I'd say it's difficult but well-balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zerth
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
It is I.
badge
The blade will not exist if it is taken from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I can second that. I learnt a huge lot about the strategies in this game back in the day while playing against that solo bot in the files section, it is pretty good. Less convenient than the AI of the Steam version, obviously, but much more educational for beginners as it is following a documented algorithm, which is surprisingly smart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you point out exactly file in the file section?

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oedipussy Rex
msg tools
ah3Dog wrote:

Thanks again.

I'd assume this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zerth
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
It is I.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I think I had been using this, if I am not mistaken: Twilight Struggle AI by Jonathan Fanno. But I am pretty sure all the bots in the files section are great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Gooden
United States
Worthington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
OedipussyRex wrote:
ah3Dog wrote:

Thanks again.

I'd assume this one.

Yes, this is the one I use. I wasn't aware the one mentioned by Gabor even existed, but it looks interesting, too. I'd suggest OP try both and decide which one he likes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Word of warning though. The SoloPlay one does change the rules quite a bit from the 2 player game:
o the scoring cards are handled in a totally different manner
o you're not really free to place your influence anywhere on the board without pretty severe penalties

I've enjoyed the SoloPlay solo quite a few times over the years, but always have to relearn it from scratch every time I come back to it. The rules are quite tough.

Wasn't aware of the other one. Looks interesting! Will give it a try very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I prefer the one with minor rule modification. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
Is solo mode worthwhile for someone who plays only solitaire?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Gooden
United States
Worthington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Tony M wrote:

I'd definitely say so. I enjoy the bot system, as someone who plays solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
imawesome13131313 wrote:
Tony M wrote:

Thank you very much. I'm intrigued by this game, but I've had enough of games that I'm never going to play. I just don't have money to waste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zerth
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
It is I.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony M wrote:
imawesome13131313 wrote:
Tony M wrote:

Thank you very much. I'm intrigued by this game, but I've had enough of games that I'm never going to play. I just don't have money to waste.
I think if you don't have at least occasionally a partner to play this with, don't buy the game. There is an excellent Steam version, with a pretty strong AI. Buy that one instead. I used to play TS solo myself only for a few months, to improve my skills at it, after that I switched to the Steam version, when it came out. These solo bots in the file section are much better for learning some (not so basic) game strategies than the Steam app, because the files actually tell you how the bot works, while an AI is a "black box".

Today, with the Steam app available, my best advice for a beginner would be to use the app, but print the solo bot I recommended earlier and have it at hand for help/guidance when playing against the AI.

Disclaimer: I don't like solo board gaming in general and I have never understood people who play multiplayer competitive games solo (unless for learning the game/rules), ESPECIALLY if there is a video game version. All that time setting up and packing away the game and moving all the little pieces for all the players - a part of your lifetime wasted forever, unnecessarily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Kossits
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would tend to agree. While playing it solo is fun, I don't know if it worth it for only solo play. For me personally, it's not. It would be something you'd bring out a couple of times a year rather than something that's going to stay fun for an extended period of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless you can get a copy fairly inexpensively and you have the shelf space, I would not buy this game to play exclusively solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmmm. Oh well. I guess I won't be buying this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Gooden
United States
Worthington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
kissgg wrote:
Disclaimer: I don't like solo board gaming in general and I have never understood people who play multiplayer competitive games solo (unless for learning the game/rules), ESPECIALLY if there is a video game version. All that time setting up and packing away the game and moving all the little pieces for all the players - a part of your lifetime wasted forever, unnecessarily.

Because board games are still fairly niche and not all of us have other people to play with? But if you're seriously going to go down that route, I should probably point out that all board games are an unnecessary waste of time, regardless of if there's a 100 players or just 1. I mean, that's basically the definition of a hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zerth
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
It is I.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
imawesome13131313 wrote:
kissgg wrote:

Because board games are still fairly niche and not all of us have other people to play with? But if you're seriously going to go down that route, I should probably point out that all board games are an unnecessary waste of time, regardless of if there's a 100 players or just 1. I mean, that's basically the definition of a hobby.
Note that this was not my main post, but I added it as a disclaimer only to indicate that my post is coming from someone who generally dislikes solo board gaming and prefers an electronic version when playing solo (as the video game does all the time-consuming admin for you). So if you like solo gaming, take my main post with a grain of salt. And I disagree that board gaming in general is just a waste of time (I referred only to the setup/packing away/admin), but that's not the point here anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterk1 wrote:
I would tend to agree. While playing it solo is fun, I don't know if it worth it for only solo play. For me personally, it's not. It would be something you'd bring out a couple of times a year rather than something that's going to stay fun for an extended period of time.

Couple of times a year? That would be solid value for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Conroy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kissgg wrote:
imawesome13131313 wrote:
kissgg wrote:

Note that this was not my main post, but I added it as a disclaimer only to indicate that my post is coming from someone who generally dislikes solo board gaming and prefers an electronic version when playing solo (as the video game does all the time-consuming admin for you). So if you like solo gaming, take my main post with a grain of salt. And I disagree that board gaming in general is just a waste of time (I referred only to the setup/packing away/admin), but that's not the point here anyway.

No you also referred to 'moving all the little pieces for all the players'. Since there are lots of people who enjoy solo gaming, including multiplayer solitaire, you can expect that describing the activity as 'a part of your lifetime wasted forever, unnecessarily' will cause some umbrage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zerth
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
It is I.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
achates wrote:
kissgg wrote:
imawesome13131313 wrote:
kissgg wrote:

No you also referred to 'moving all the little pieces for all the players'. Since there are lots of people who enjoy solo gaming, including multiplayer solitaire, you can expect that describing the activity as 'a part of your lifetime wasted forever, unnecessarily' will cause some umbrage.
Yeah, to me that is the same as "admin" (you need to move all the pieces for all the 'bot' opponents), which the computer does for you in a video game. I am sorry if I hurt someone's feelings, that was not my intention. All I wanted to do is to say that when I don't recommend this game to be played as exclusively solo, note this advice is coming from someone who dislikes solo gaming in general, when it is not against a video game AI. (I find the admin overhead an unnecessary waste of time.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Bartels
United States
flag msg tools
badge
kissgg wrote:
achates wrote:
kissgg wrote:
imawesome13131313 wrote:
kissgg wrote:

Yeah, to me that is the same as "admin" (you need to move all the pieces for all the 'bot' opponents), which the computer does for you in a video game. I am sorry if I hurt someone's feelings, that was not my intention. All I wanted to do is to say that when I don't recommend this game to be played as exclusively solo, note this advice is coming from someone who dislikes solo gaming in general, when it is not against a video game AI. (I find the admin overhead an unnecessary waste of time.)

In order to effect your point, all you had to include in your disclaimer is that you don't enjoy playing board games solo. Your editorializing on top of that is what draws the counterarguments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zerth
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
It is I.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see your point and will keep it in mind going forward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play solo, I suggest you pick up the game on Steam, Android, or iOS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony M
msg tools
mbmbmb
cheng wrote:
If you want to play solo, I suggest you pick up the game on Steam, Android, or iOS.

I have used a computer all day at work every day since 1982. Sometimes I really want to get away from staring at a screen. When I'm not at work I don't spend that much time online because it's just too tiring.

I really like the feel of picking up game components and moving them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |