Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CONSOLIDATED KEMET SETH (EXPANSION #2) FAQ
By Chas

I just received my game, and was surprised that there were already over 50 questions answered. I haven't played yet, but wanted to put them in some kind of order. All answers here are by the designer or publisher unless noted. Some Q&A have been edited for clarity.
*=Requires further clarification (2).

INTRODUCTION

SETH: (Jackal God) Purple Units: Rake/Jackal Heads

Add to Components List
1 Eight page rules booklet (English and French)
1 Purple Prayer Pint Marker (3D Oblong Token)
1 Purple Turn Order Marker (3D Square Token; not used in this expansion)

Can you use the C3K Creatures with Seth?
Yes, but they have not been play tested with it.

What are the effects of a different number of players?
1. The number of Seth turn actions per Day Phase.
2. The Number of Seth Prayer Points earned per Night Phase

What modules would you recommend from Ta-Seti to use with Seth?
The Power Tiles and the Battle Cards.

SET UP

When players choose one non-purple Level 1 Power Tile at game start, why are not enough different ones for each player?
Different player may choose the same Power Tile, but they will not be cumulative in a combined troop.

*So you remove all of the Divine Intervention cards from the old expansion, and only use the ones from Seth?
Yes—there are two sets of Seth DI cards.
(My question: do you remove all of the core game DI cards as well as the Ta-Seti cards?)

TURN SEQUENCE

How long must the Alliance hold a Seth city district to qualify for the win?
The win happens at the start of the next Alliance Phase after it is taken. If it is achieved just before the Night Phase, Seth has another turn (and the Night Phase) to retake it. Example: the Alliance takes control of Seth's district on their fourth turn action. Seth now has 3 actions to plus the Night Phase to chase them out: 2 actions at the end of the current Day Phase, the Night Phase, and 1 action at the beginning of the next Day Phase.

Must each player still play one action token on each level each turn?
Yes, and so must Seth.

SACRED TEMPLES

Do units sacrificed by the Alliance to build a Sacred Temple have to be in the same space where the temple is built? Yes.

Can the Sacred Temple Power: Gray Action Token only be used once per Day Phase?
Yes; not once per player.

SETH

When Seth takes multiple actions, are they considered simultaneous or consecutive?
Consecutive (“in a row”).

Can Seth play the 3 cost Alliance Exclusive Power Tiles? NEVER!

Are there limits to the Furious Invasion action?
Only if the two troops exceed the troop unit limits.

When Seth corrupts a troop and the attacking troop uses the (Ta-Seti) Strength Five combat card which eliminates his own remaining units, does he still get the battle VP? No.

When Seth uses the (Ta-Seti) Strength Five combat card and destroys two of his own units, do they count towards 5 units dying to trigger the purple power tile Combat Vulture's ability?
No.As in Ta-Seti, he must destroy 3 of his own units after the battle resolution. The Combat Vulture gives 1 VP of at least 5 units are destroyed in the battle (friendly and/or enemy), not after it.

How does it work if Seth plays the (Kemet/ Seth) Reinforcement combat card on a Creature attack?
It creates a new troop. Seth stays if he wins or can recall if he loses.

How does Seth controlling pyramids work? If he controls a pyramid normally can be buy its color Power Tile normally? Yes. He can use a purple Buy Tile action space—or if none are available he must corrupt a pyramid.

Can Seth corrupt a pyramid of any Allied player whose color action token he plays? Yes.

When Seth corrupts a Troop, he cannot split one; can he combine more than one?

No. Also, he can move a troop without attacking.

What if a corrupted Troop has the red power tile “Initiative”--does it work for Seth?
Only if Seth plays the color of that player with that tile Its the same with the red tile “God Speed.” The movement for an accompanying Creature applies, even if Seth plays a different color action token. For the blue tile “Prescience,” Seth must also use the proper color.

When Seth corrupts a Mixed Troop, does he corrupt the entire troop? Yes.

Does a corrupted Mixed Troop benefit from all of the Power Tiles of all players represented in that troop? Yes.

In a Corrupt Creature battle, does Seth also play a battle card?
Yes—he also benefits from his Power Tiles, if applicable.

Can a Corrupted Creature (CC) be killed in battle?
If Seth attacks with a CC and wins the battle. He gets the Combat VP (Page 5). The CC is not killed and retains its abilities. For the Alliance, playing effects with Damage is not very useful against a CC attack.

If you discard the Corrupt Creature card, does that mean you cannot repeat it?
Yes. If all cards are discarded (rare) you cannot corrupt creatures for the rest of the game.

If Seth corrupts a creature and has the red Open Gates Power Tilecan the creature attack troops inside city spaces?
No—Seth can only attack with battle bonuses, not move. To attack inside a city, he must corrupt the Phoenix.

THE ALLIANCE

Do Mixed Troops benefit from all of the player tiles of those who make it up?
Only battle tiles, although Initiative may also come into play.

Alliance players cannot reveal Divine Intervention cards. So they can't discuss them? No.

Does an Ally occupying your pyramid alone negate it for you? No.

If only one Ally controls a pyramid, can all of them use it? No. (Edit: changed based on designer contribution below. By control it seems to mean have your units occupying it, even in a mixed troop).

If another Alliance player controls another Ally's pyramid, can he upgrade it and/or buy a tile from it? Yes.

If an Allied Player has an Act of God tile with units at another Alliance Player's pyramid, can he upgrade it by taking that action with the Silver token? Yes, just as in the Core game.

Can the 3 Level blue (Alliance only) Recruitment power tile be combined with the 4 Level blue tile Reinforcements tile?
No; the first occurs in the Night Phase and the second in the Day Phase.

Can the Great Ceremony be done in the middle of an action?
No; its separate.

Does the Black Ta-Seti Power Tile Deadly Trap affect corrupt Mixed Troops that include the corrupted player? Yes.

Can an Alliance Player buy multiple Purple Power Tiles in a round? For example, he purchases a Level 3 purple tile by placing an action token on his player board blue tile buy square. Then next turn buys another Level 3 purple tile using his red tile buy square.
Yes, as long as he has the appropriate Levels for all three of his pyramids.

OSIRIS

What goes on the Osiris board?
All collective abilities—Temporary and permanent VPs, the 4 Alliance Power Tiles, Temple powers, and Great Ceremony power.

How does the placement of the Osiris mini work?
Like any other Creature, but he belongs to all the Alliance members. He can also accompany a troop with a Creature. This includes any Alliance troop in a City.

When Osiris loses the last unit in a troop, doe3s he go back to the reserve or spawn with a troop in any space?
He uses the same rules as a Creature, except that he can also accompany a Creature. So he can spawn in a city troop space or return during the next recruitment action.

Does Osiris get battle powers for Creatures? No.

PURPLE POWER TILES (16)

How does the Night Purchase tile work?
Seth can buy a tile of any color. He resolves his power before the Alliance, including a Night power on the same Night Phase. Once Seth has a Level 4 Purple Pyramid, he can buy any available Power Tile in the game!

How does the Level 1 tile Units Corruption work?
You steal 3 units when you buy the tile, either from the player's reserve (“primarily”) or from the board only if there are none or not enough in the reserve. Put them in your City like Mercenaries. You can change them to Purple units at any time. If Seth creates a new troop when more purple units are available, you can mark it as a Purple troop with the square purple Turn Marker which is not otherwise used in this expansion. (My comment: perhaps the player must convert them to Purple as soon as possible, so that Seth does not get too much of a counter mix advantage?)

ALLIANCE POWER TILES (4; 1 OF EACH: Blue, Red, White, Black)

How does the Black Alliance Support tile work?
It works with every type of action token (including gold and silver) and can be used for every action of the same turn. It must be used within the limits of the benefiting player regarding tile levels , etc.

CREATURES

Snake
Does the Snake's ability negate a Corrupted Creature (CC)? Yes.

Can Seth attack a troop accompanied by the Snake with a different Corrupted Creature?
Yes, Seth uses only his Battle Card.

*When the Corrupted Snake attacks, do you use the card of the creature it turns against its owner?
No, you must use the tile. (When a creature is purchased by the Alliance, Seth discards its card as on Rules Page 5).
(My question: this is unclear to me. How can Seth use a tile the owner has already purchased? Which “tile” must be used?)

Elephant
Why does the elephant have a shield on his card?
If Seth plays the Reinforcement card, he will have 2 units in the battle.

Sphinx
Why does the Seth Sphinx card have +5 (all other Creatures keep their tile stats)?
The Sphinx gets a net +2 over the Sphinx tile.

Scarab
The Seth Scarab card can attack the same troop twice. Can the Alliance recall the troop after the first attack? Yes.

DIVINE INTERVENTION CARDS

How does the Enlistment DI card work?
You can only add to a troop with one of your own units in it.

With the My Energy Brings You Strength DI Card, must a single Alliance Player have the necessary pyramid level?
Yes, among all three of his pyramids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo
This five page list is almost as long as my original Core Game Plus Ta-Seti "Supplementary Rules" (FAQ in non question format--see Files in core game forum). Two questions above are marked with an asterisk, requiring further clarification--please help me out if you can. Any discussion and clarification is welcome on any of these, before I post this to the Files here.

Since I haven't played the game yet, these questions are not mine, but just a consolidation of what I found in the Rules folder in a dozen other threads. I'll post the few I have myself so far after a couple of rules read throughs after I play the game, with any that come up later, as "unanswered" in a separate Rules post.

The edits I made were mostly translation issues. Trying to figure out some of the less clear items helped me learn the game rules. I have tried to identify all power tiles, cards, etc., clearly, between the Core Game, Ta-Seti, and Kemet/Seth where useful. The few enhancements at the top reflect the format I used in my previous FAQ document.

I hope this proves useful to you in playing the game. Your input is appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Akke Monasso
Netherlands
Aalten
Achterhoek
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmb
Thanks.

One thing to add: which side of the board to use. I think you should take the side for the amount of players in the Alliance, taking into account that you only play on the west bank with fewer players. I don’t think it’s mentioned anywhere in the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arrrh You're right, its not mentioned as such. I think the hint is that the Portal Token is placed on the West side of the Nile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Singleton
msg tools
Hi Jon!

Thanks so much for putting this together. Can you please cite the following FAQ ruling? I interpret it to mean that if anyone has a pyramid of any level, all allies can use it which seems contradictory to the printed rules. Furthermore, I tried to search these forums and found no other reference to this ruling.

"If only one Ally controls a pyramid, can all of them use it? Yes."

Thanks!
~Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Montiage
France
flag msg tools
designer
j2klbs wrote:
Hi Jon!
"If only one Ally controls a pyramid, can all of them use it? Yes."

Hi Jason and Jon !

Jason is right : "If only one Ally controls a pyramid, can all of them use it?", the answer is : no.

I can't find where Jacques or I answered this question but maybe we were thinking of this specific situation :
a mixed troop composed of blue, red and yellow units controls a pyramid. In that case, blue player, red player and yellow player can use this pyramid.

Hope I'ms clear

Have fun playing !

Guillaume
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo Okay, I changed it in the OP. "Control" seems to mean having your troops occupying the pyramid, even just as part of a Mixed Troop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Handley
Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for putting together all of this Chas - you are the man! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eriboh eriboh
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hello,

I don't understand what is meant exactly with «With the My Energy Brings You Strength DI Card, must a single Alliance Player have the necessary pyramid level?
Yes, among all three of his pyramids.»
Ex: I want to buy a level 3 red power Tile (and my red pyramid is not at level 3). Can I use this DI card if another player as his BLUE pyramid at level 3, or must this other player have necessary his RED pyramid at level 3 (or more)?

Eric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love Kemet and im excited to try out Seth. I think the only reason i dont play this more is bc of all the potential rules questions that come up.

Its a little annoying but i wish the designers would revise the rulebooks and address all these issues. I think this game deserves a rewrite. Fantastic game!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skander S
msg tools
shooshoo wrote:
I really love Kemet and im excited to try out Seth. I think the only reason i dont play this more is bc of all the potential rules questions that come up.

Its a little annoying but i wish the designers would revise the rulebooks and address all these issues. I think this game deserves a rewrite. Fantastic game!!!

Yes the game is amazing, but unfortunately my first game lasted an eternity because there were so many confusions about the rules that were sometimes neither clarified in the rulebook nor in the FAQ, and now my group of friends doesn't want to play it again. Also sadly no reply yet to my rules question on this forum around 2 weeks ago. The rulebook is so unbelievably lacking in detail that it almost seems as though the publisher consciously decided to release a thin rulebook and make people figure out all the specific cases by themselves or online.

I hope if chas has time that this FAQ can be updated, there are several things that could be added or stated more clearly (e.g. "How does the “Night Purchase” purple tile work for Seth?... If you buy a tile with night effect, it works during that same night.")

Another issue that came up during our game was if Alliance units can retreat into Seth's city when they lose a battle on the space outside it (answer: they can), which was crucial for the alternative 3rd victory condition but took a long time to find (it was not in the FAQ on the base game I had printed either).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean your first game didnt take the 30 mins that the box suggests it does???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan van der Merwe
msg tools
I'm afraid even with the unofficial Faq by Chad the Seth expansion is still pretty much unplayable if you want a reasonably enjoyable game experience - so many issues still left uncertain. See thread at https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2204410/kemet-seth-ruin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls