David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, everyone. I'm in the process of designing the rules, book, and game materials for my first ever game, 8-Cylinder Overlords. The game is inspired by (of course) the Mad Max films, the novel "On Wheels" by John Jakes, the art of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth, the classic Thunder Road board game, the track components of Flamme Rouge, various worker placement games, and of course Car Wars. I hope to have a print and play available by the end of the year.

The tl;dr version is: players lay a trail of cards, each card adding 1-3 spaces, to create a Road to a final goal that will consist of somewhere between 20-30 spaces, depending on player count and how long you want the game to go. Players can also create fortresses, farms and distilleries and man them with 4-10 workers to attack other players, create and replace workers, and create fuel to use for construction and as currency. First one to create a road of the assigned length wins!

10/22/19: Some pretty major rules updates that reward risky behavior, and some edits to this thread to make it a little less messy. Also, as I should have done ages ago, I'm putting all the relevant links in THIS post. I've gone through this thread and deleted any posts with links to outdated materials. From now on, all updates to rules, PnP, etc. will be updated here.

Links are as follows:

Rules:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v11EQ0xFVICghIPyMNNwMrb2Kjs...

Quick ref:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FI_A87_GfUZ79u1oBSuIZHvPioN...

Tabletop Simulator version:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=18789...

Print-n-Play:
There are three file folders on my Google Drive with three different print options for the game. Within each folder there are usually TWO versions of any file that you will be cutting, folding, etc.: One version with visible cutlines ON the art to make it easier, and one version with crop marks only on the outside of the art, for you advanced cutters and folders. Within each folder is an updated copy of the Rules. An appendix at the end has instructions and suggestions for home printing. There's also a Quick Ref page that I recommend you print 4 double-side copies thereof, at it is quite useful to have that data handy for all players.

This is the full-color (CMYK) heavy ink collection if you're feeling extravagant.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1y8cgEzWEEH5-oxLbX89F...

This is the Low-ink full-color version, for the thriftier among you:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1mlq0UepGYzo6fwE-Zmg_...

And this is the GRAYSCALE version for those that don't have or don't want to use a color printer. It is basically the low-ink version in B&W.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19Azczf59t7VoRBD16NvS...

And here is a separate folder containing .STL files for anyone who wants to 3D print the following components: Overlord figures, Gas Gauge Markers, Fuel Tokens, and Peds.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ulnqe_FsMmpVMcdf7KKB...

9/04/19: A new set of rules! The new rules have a more clearly delineated Turn structure that hopefully ensures that no one's turn goes on way too long. Some of the results for die rolls for the various types of attacks have been changed to be more DEADLY. There was a general sentiment among playtesters that the attacks were somewhat weak as a way to stop people from building their roads too quickly. Hopefully that's been addressed.

8/25/19: I've updated the intro text and I'm about to post a new PDF of the rules. I've changed the cost of some of the Overlord actions, the way a drag race is conducted, and some other fairly major changes after a week or so of solo and 2-person playtesting. HOWEVER! After a few 2-person playtests, there have been complaints that because of the recursive and loosey-goosey nature of the newly revamped Turn structure, there is WAY too much downtime for other players and that it's hard for players to make sense of what someone is doing on their turn. The confusion part is not such a big deal, because after a round or two everything becomes much clearer. But I ABSOLUTELY don't want people to be bored, whether they're crystal-clear or confused. So, I'm working on restructuring the Turn to limit the length of time a Turn can take, AND to limit the potential for runaway leaders.

So far, I'm leaning toward one of two options:
Either a Pandemic-style "action point allotment" (you can perform X number of actions on your Turn),
or making the turn more rigid in its structure, i.e.
"Draw Cards"
"Build"
"Allocate Workers"
"Collect Resources/Breed More Workers"
"Attack"
"Closing phase of turn (basically housekeeping)"

I lean toward the latter because at each stage of the turn there is an Overlord action that applies to what you are doing. You will have to decide if you want to commit an action you can use only once a turn, and that also costs Overlord Fuel. So each phase offers some momentous decision making, which is good.
For example:
Green Begins, draws 2 cards, giving him 2 new Farm Cards. He really doesn't need 2 new farms, so he is trying to decide if he performs the "Draw Extra Card" action (cost: 4) at this point. Let's say he does it, and gets a Pavement Card.
Next Phase: Build. Green has 6 Fuel Tokens from his previous turn. He spends 3 to add a 3-space Pavement Card to the front of his road, and 2 to Chain another Farm Card to his existing two-card Farm. Then, and ONLY then, he can choose to use the "Insta-Build" Overlord action to add another Card at no Fuel Token Cost.But this action will cost him 6 Gallons of his own fuel (out of 10) and exhaust 2 of his Peds. He can also spend 7 to repair any and all Disabled Cards. He chooses not to do either one of these.
Next Phase: Allocate workers: Green has 5 Peds total. he places or leaves in place one Ped on his Distillery, 2 on his Farms, and 2 on his Chained Fortress.
Next Phase: Gather resources/Breed new workers. Green moves his two Peds forward on the Breeding Tracks. On his NEXT turn, he will be able to finish breeding and acquire 2 more Peds. He then rolls for Fuel Tokens at his Distillery. He rolls a 2, which means he fails to acquire any more Fuel Tokens. He can use the Overlord Action "Motivate," which costs 4 Gallons and allows one Exhausted Installation to activate again. He could use it to roll again for Fuel Tokens, or move his breeders two the end of the breeding track and get two new Peds on this turn. Or he can save it for the Combat Phase. He chooses to spend 4 Gallons to motivate his Distillery to roll again. This time he gets 4, which gives him 2 more Fuel Tokens. He now has 3 total to spend on Auctions or on his next Turn.
Finally, Combat phase. He attempts a Raid on Red's leading Pavement Card in an attempt to prevent her from adding to her Road on her turn with his 2-Card Fortress. he rolls poorly and the Raid fails, costing him one Ped as a casualty. He has no viable Overlord actions he can perform at this point, so he can't try again or use his Overlord to attempt another attack. He ends his Turn by selling the Cards in his hand for 2 Fuel Tokens.
Red's Turn is next, and she wins the Game by adding 2 new Pavement Cards and extending her Road to XX spaces, the required win condition (let's say 25).

--So, Green's decision to spend his Overlord Gas Tank and his motivate action may have ended up costing him the game.

8/21/19First of all: NEW RULES POSTED (link below)

Ok--Hi, everyone... (by which I mean maybe, what 10 people??). If you're new to this thread this is where I'm posting general updates. The notes below go in reverse chronological order so you can track the progress of my thinking if you're interested. The most current notes will be in plain text and the older ones will be italicized.

Anyway, I had to take a bit of a break from working on this game but now I'm back with a vengeance. I'm hoping to have new rules and images up soon.
Some major changes:

Thematically, some people expressed discomfort with the idea of your workers being effectively slaves, coerced into labor by fear of the Overlords. I can kind of see their point, so in the storyline, the Overlords are now the focus of WORSHIP by the remaining humans, because they are avatars of the mighty abilities of the bygone past. It may be cynical of me to say this, but it's a lot more difficult to feel sorry for people who are motivated to do dumb, demeaning, or reckless crap out of religious fervor than it is to feel sorry for people who are forced to do dumb, demeaning, dangerous crap out of fear. Or, maybe that's just me...

OK, what else...New names for a lot of things: Salvage Tokens are now FUEL TOKENS.

Fuel Tokens are created at DISTILLERIES, which used to be called Salvage Sites.

Gun Towers are now called FORTRESSES. This is because now there are TWO ways you can use these facilities. the first is a Barrage, which can cripple your enemy from afar. The second is the Raid, which allows you to send a commando squad and disable your opponent and steal resources from him. The risk is that until you have upgraded (Chained) your Fortress, you stand a good chance of losing one of your workers.

Some major procedural changes:

There are only 1 and 3-space Road Cards, now called Pavement Cards (if you've got a better name I'm all ears). 1-space cards offer defensive bonuses, and 3-space cards make your road longer. Installations are now built directly onto your Road, as opposed to having to be connected to a 1-space card as in previous iterations.

HOWEVER! Everything now costs Fuel Tokens to build. So if you've got nothing, you can't build anything. 1-space Pavement Cards cost ONE Fuel Token, 3-Space Pavement Cards cost 3 FTs, and all Installations (single or chained) cost 2 FTs per card.

On the other hand, you can keep building as long as you've got Fuel to spend. You can earn Fuel Tokens by activating your Distilleries (formerly Salvage Sites), by Raiding enemy Installations and stealing Tokens, and, if you're desperate, selling the remainder of your Hand of cards at the end of your Turn. The player turn still consists of drawing cards, activating installations, and finishing up, but now you can build, activate, build, activate, in any order as long as you can afford it.

There is now no cost to move your Overlord piece around your Road. It just seemed like pointless nit-pickery. However, every Overlord action costs a little more to perform, so you still have to budget out your Gas Gauge allowance during your turn just as carefully.

The sheer number of cards in the game is going to be reduced. I'm hoping to get the deck of Road Cards (pavement + Installations) down to maybe 120 or so total, but I have to make sure there are enough cards in this deck to make building 4 complete Roads with lots of cool installations a possibility, which will require some more playtesting, unless someone knows a good equation for determining optimum card counts for this kind of thing. The Loot Card deck will probably be winnowed down to 50-70 cards. I want to make each Loot Card worth fighting for, and scarcity is one aspect of that. There will be multiple copies of only a very few Loot Cards.

Hello, everyone. It's April 19, 2019, and I've been working on this game for several months now, and it's gone through some BIG changes.
1)There are now 4 different installations,
2)the initial art design has been changed,
3)the Overlord figure each player controls has gone from being a cool side detail to being the most important part of the game.
4) There is now an auction phase.
5) There are drag races and a final round that can turn into a drag race under certain circumstances.
I feel that it's now pretty solid in its general shape, and it just needs to be fine-tuned and balanced. I have done a lot of two-person play testing but not enough 3/4 person play testing, and I'm working on setting up some playtests with game groups and so on. I've found answers to most of the questions I posted below but I'll be leaving them up for posterity's sake. The rules have gotten to the point where I should just post a PDF rather than try to use BGG's INCREDIBLY clunky interface to try to post them.
I'll also be posting numerous pictures of the prototype pieces and cards I have designed and printed. Watch this space!

I am deleting the list of questions I posted before. They've pretty much all been answered and incorporated into the game for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
8-Cylinder Overlords: Intro and Flavor Text
8/24: Intro/Flavor text has been updated to introduce the whole "car-worshipper" idea, and to update references to names that have been changed in the game, i.e. "Basic Road Cards" becoming "pavement Cards," etc.

Here's the "Flavor text" introduction: Please note that corniness, hyperbole, and general over-the-top-ness are entirely intentional.

The Automobile came to dominate American life in the latter half of the 20th Century. Commutes became longer, it became easier to do everything without leaving your car, and the journey became the destination. As the world became more and more crowded, the farsighted people began living nearly full-time in their vehicles.

The advent of the automated highway and the autopilot-car in the 1970’s freed the most powerful and affluent from ever having to leave their vehicle. The final step was for the roadbound to transfer their consciousness into their vehicles, using the 1980’s’ latest brain-transference technology to become sentient 4-wheeled Flying Dutchmen. By 1988, the wealthiest 10% of America’s people had permanently moved to the fortified highways that traversed an increasingly unstable country.

In the meantime, the rest of civilization began to fall apart as the wealthy and self-absorbed sucked up all the resources for their endless travel. Pedestrians fought over scraps in flaming cities while gleaming juggernauts barreled down endless highways, fueled by the blood, sweat and tears of the walking, secure in their armor-plated, high-tech rolling coffins.

300 years later, the cities have been emptied. America’s green fields have been almost entirely claimed by desert or wilderness. Of the former hordes of brain-cars, only a handful are left, the most audacious survivors of a centuries-long, vicious struggle for supremacy waged on the crumbling infrastructure of our once-great nation.

Each of these battered, bloodied man-mobiles is the idol of its own personal cult of car-worshippers, hapless pedestrians who see the Overlords as miraculous avatars of the glorious past. These fanatical “Peds” spend their lives repairing the crumbled roads, growing grain for fuel alcohol, (and if they’re lucky, to feed themselves), training to raid their rivals for supplies and captives, and sifting through the ruins for detritus that can be traded for anything to give their masters an edge against their foes.

It seems this endless struggle could continue forever, were it not for the fact that after centuries, the seemingly immortal brain-cars are failing both mechanically and biologically, and no one alive or encased in metal has the knowledge to restore them to their shining youth. But a rumor has drifted over the burning sands of a lost city, containing the technical might of the abandoned past. An aging shell could be restored, or a brain could even be transferred to a new, improved automobile form.

Now you, time-crazed and bloodthirsty man-machine ruler of your own highway kingdom, must ruthlessly drive your abject Ped worshippers to build and defend a road to this lost treasure trove, to leave your rivals eating the bitter dust of defeat, to become the greatest of all the 8-CYLINDER OVERLORDS.

Each player will attempt to complete a road to the Lost City, using Pavement Cards, Installations, Peds, and Looted technology and lore. The first player to complete a road of between 15-30 spaces and race their Overlord to its end will win the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
8-Cylinder Overlords: This space reserved for progress reports
10/22/19: New rules, new print-n-play file links, new Tabletop Simulator(!) version.
8/25/19: Intro text has been updated to reflect some thematic changes.
8/21/19: The rules and some of the physical components of the game are undergoing a LOT of redesign. Hopefully in the next day or two new rules, images, and flavor text will be forthcoming.
4/19/19: After MUCH more design and playtesting, new artwork and a PDF of the new rules has been posted.
11/28/2018: Flavor text updated, components updated, rules updated.
11/2/2018: Unearth Card use descriptions added, two placeholder images for card backs posted.
10/31/2018: Initial post of game concept, early intro/flavor, some rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
8-Cylinder Overlords: components
The purpose of this space is to list my initial plan for components, as well as links to art and downloadables as they become available.

4:19/19: Updated Components list, reflecting decision to reduce Player Count to 4 and to reflect major changes in game play.
Components:
4 Player Dashboards

4 Overlord Figures

1 Walkerville Mat (Neutral territory)

Road Card Deck, consisting of 108 Cards
--50 PAVEMENT Cards (Formerly "Basic Road")
--17 FORTRESS (Formerly Gun Tower) Cards
--16 FARM Cards
--17 REFINERY (Formerly Salvage Site) Cards
--8 Mod Shop Cards

54 Loot Cards Deck (formerly "unearth" deck)

45 2-Sided Ped (worker) Tokens

4 Gas Gauge Tokens

4 Red Attack Dice (d6)

4 White Defense Dice (d6)

Below is the VERY temporary layout for "Walkerville," which is a neutral territory (think Bartertown from Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome") where Players can bid on different Loot Cards and other Bonuses.

Here is a new design for the Player Dashboard: The image is taken from the STL file I use to 3D print out the Overlord pieces. The functionality is the same: Gas Gauge and a place to put your starting collection of workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] 8-Cylinder Overlords: A Post-Collapse Game of Road Building, Defending and Attacking
The rules have been updated in a big way, if anyone's interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] 8-Cylinder Overlords: A Post-Collapse Game of Road Building, Defending and Attacking
Hi David! I subbed to your WIP thread before because the theme and inspirations interest me. Will dig in to your stuff more when I have a little more bandwidth. Do you plan to have a TTS and/or PnP for play testing?

Cheers!
Martin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Working on the Print and play right now. What's a TTS? Also, I'd be happy to post a PDF of the rules thus far--they're a little easier to read than this post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Habilis wrote:
Working on the Print and play right now. What's a TTS? Also, I'd be happy to post a PDF of the rules thus far--they're a little easier to read than this post.

Excellent re: PnP! TTS = Tabletop Simulator, a pc program that allows for quick virtual prototyping, testing and playing of tabletop games. There’s also Tabletopia. You have to upload all of your graphical elements, but once you do, Bob’s your uncle.

(Disclaimer: I do have an uncle named Bob.)

Sure, I would appreciate a rules PDF.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, everyone... I just posted a big update! That is, all 2 subscribers... :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Habilis wrote:

---OK, anyone know how to upload a PDF? Completely baffled here...

Sorry, just re-read this now. Upload your rules PDF to Google Drive, Dropbox, etc. Then post the link here. I would be interested to read your rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some of the prototypes of pieces, coins, tokens, etc. I have been fooling around with in TinkerCAD and using my 3D printer to produce...
This is a Ped or worker token... It's a little bit smaller than a dime.

These are some of the Salvage Tokens: the currency acquired by Peds using Salvage Sites and spent in Walkerville on auctions. About the size of a nickel.

This is the TinkerCAD file for the Overlord model. There's only one model at this point but I will probably deign 4-5 more. I'm really, REALLY trying to restrain myself and focus on the game, not the trimmings. But I DO want it to be fun to look at AND play, of course.

And here are some of the Overlords, hastily printed out and painted--I'm not much of a miniatures painter, that's for sure.

And finally, here's a picture taken during the middle of a 2-player game last week. You can finally see the cards in action. The Ped tokens are from before I made the 3D printed prototypes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
4/27/19...
Well, folks, my first official 4-person playtest last night revealed a number of issues with the game. Primarily that it's easy to adopt a strategy where all you do is lay down 3-value road cards in a rush to complete your road, forgoing building installations, bidding on items, etc. The other players may not even have time to build installations and so on in order to attack you and prevent that from happening.

So, clearly, either the win condition of the game needs to change, or it needs to be necessary to build installations and do the other fun things the game has to offer in order to meet the current win condition.

I'm internally debating the possibility of making multiple ways to win, "point salad" style, but I don't love that idea for a few reasons, mainly that it detracts from the theme of the game and it also adds a layer of complexity that may be more of a nuisance than a fun additional thing to think about.

TRYING TO KEEP IT FUN, PEOPLE!

Anyway, I think I will go back to the drawing board and work on ways to motivate players to build installations, attack each other, get in bidding wars with each other, drag races with each other and so on. All of those things need to be easier AND more important to do.

There are a number of other changes that were suggested last night, all of which had merit, but I think if I start with finding a way to make sure that no ONE strategy can always win the other pieces will start to fall into place. Watch this space for more news!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe each player already starts with a certain number of installations to attack any player who tries that “rush to win” strategy. Clank suffers from this issue as well, where a valid strategy is to rush for the first treasure you encounter (usually of the lowest value), then rush back up to the surface to end the game before other players have had a chance to get their own treasures, or sometimes even trapping them in the depths. It’s a douchy move, but a valid strategy. Which turns some people off playing Clank. The mitigating factor is that the higher value treasure are located deeper within the dungeon, so the player who rushes may end the game but not have enough victory points to win.

So you could make your game end condition separate from your win condition. Player with most VP, acquired only by doing all the interesting stuff in the game, wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly, great minds think alike because starting with a certain set or choice of installations was something we all agreed would open up a lot of strategic possibilities for the game. So I'm writing that into the rules right now!

The current game setup has one player triggering the Final Round by completing their Road, as opposed to my previous iterations, in which completing a Road instantly wins the game.

I think if I create a situation in which, say, someone who makes more installations gets more victory points than someone who completes their Road, then I am taking away from the point of the game and making it a bit too much like, say, Concordia. If you haven't played it, you trigger the end by completing 15 trading houses but you don't necessarily win because there are bonuses for the cards you've used to build your trading empire that can end up being worth a great deal more than the bonus you get for building your houses. Don't get me wrong, I love Concordia, but it is kind of a gentle, contemplative game, and I want this game to be cruel and visceral.

However, a possible compromise would be to have some fairly high thresholds for achieving "auxiliary" victory points. Like, if you build 4 of something, you get X victory points, but if you only build 3, you get none. That way it's not just accounting, but a risk-reward scenario... "If I go for this 'building things' strategy I may not make it but if I do then I will reap a mighty harvest..."

One thing I am absolutely CERTAIN I am going to do is to make it cost a resource(s) to add to your road. That way, players absolutely HAVE to build at least one kind of Installation, and possibly more.

Attacking other players should also yield a reward besides just slowing the other player down. Because as one of my testers pointed out last night, if you have to use a worker to attack another player, you're losing out on an opportunity to use that worker to create a real benefit for yourself. So right now I'm mulling over ways to make attacks have an effect more like a raid than like an artillery bombardment. "If you attack this guy you can disable Installation X AND steal 5 gallons of gas, " et. al.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Attacking other players should also yield a reward besides just slowing the other player down. Because as one of my testers pointed out last night, if you have to use a worker to attack another player, you're losing out on an opportunity to use that worker to create a real benefit for yourself. So right now I'm mulling over ways to make attacks have an effect more like a raid than like an artillery bombardment. "If you attack this guy you can disable Installation X AND steal 5 gallons of gas, " et. al.

I like this idea. It could be where if you assign a worker to generate benefits, it's safer but you build up resources more slowly. But if instead you choose to attack another player, you can steal the resources they have been spending their turns generating, yay! BUT -- your raid option carries more risk -- you have a higher chance of losing workers (died during raid) and a chance of stealing *less* than you might have acquired had you chosen to stay home and do honest work for a living. Greater risk, potential for greater reward, but also potential for things going awry and blowing up in your face.

BUT -- you could acquire items that could minimize your risk on a raid. Better guns, ammo, molotov cocktails, etc., each of these would enhance your chances of success. But such items should be rare and hard to come by in our post-collapse world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ighuaran St Germaine
United States
California
flag msg tools
Following along on your progress, David - looks like some good changes happening - Keram
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*Cleans the engine on his souped-up apocalypse car while waiting for the PnP files*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well well well... It's been a LONG time since I posted. I have been frantically working on a pretty major redesign that will hopefully make the game more engaging and more streamlined at the same time. It still requires a LOT of cards, which makes a PnP kind of problematic, but there may be a workaround for that. Honestly, the Road pieces wouldn't even need to be cards... They could be "carcassonne"-like tiles or mini-cards or something. Anyway, if anyone is interested, I'll be posting a PDF of the new rules in the next day or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had a pretty good 2-player playtest. My subject offered the following suggestions for improvements:

Provide more data on the cards themselves so that people can tell at a glance how much they cost to build, how many spaces they add to your board, and the Chaining bonuses (where applicable).

Some changes to the Auction site--Make it scaleable for 2-3 players (fewer options for fewer players, for example). He had some minor tweaks to the auction offerings as well that are prety easy to incorporate.

He proposed adding a 5th Installation type that would ONLY be used for defense. On the hand, this adds a further card to the deck, which could nbe difficult to factor in in terms of additional cost and complexity, but it could also simplify the game in general by taking away defense bonuses from any other card and making it very obvious at a glance what a person's defensive capabilities are. I'm definitely going to be pondering this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David, I just want you to know that I support you, and I am super excited for your game! We need more Mad Max style post-apocalyptic games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pudliner
United States
Roseland
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If possible, I would love trying a pnp of this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Call
msg tools
A PnP to try out would be great!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for your support. I'm eager to get this out to the world in any way I can.
I would be delighted to offer a PnP version, but I'm a bit afraid the sheer number of cards would be daunting for a lot of folks. I've managed to whittle down the original card requirements from something like 400+ to something like 180-200 for a four-player game, and THAT number is still in flux, as only ongoing playtesting is giving me a realistic sense of how many cards actually get used in a game.

There's two decks of cards, the Road Cards, which are of course how you build your Road, and the Loot deck, which are basically upgrades you can bid on. The Road card deck as of this week is 142-ish cards and the Loot deck is 54 cards.

I'm not much of an artist, but I am a skilled enough graphic designer that it would be pretty easy for me to create a PnP set of cards, tokens, etc. that were A)monochrome and B) would not require a lot of ink. I could also probably figure out a good number of cards for a 2-player game and offer that as well.

So if anyone would like to suggest a template or format that would be useful (like, say, an Avery label template for blank cards) I would be happy to set that up.

The player boards and auction board can be very easily printed on letter-size cardstock, and honestly, you could use any sort of round token-like things for the workers, and pennies and nickels for the currency, and for dice you really only need 4-8 d6s. The 4 Overlord pieces you can use toy cars, or anything like that, it doesn't really matter.

In the meantime I will be uploading yet another set of revised rules that now include the Bunker cards and a more simplified set of defensive options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps loading it onto Tabletop Simulator?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Allen
United States
La Canada Flintridge
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been vacillating over whether it's worth my time to learn how to use TTS so I can do just that, or if I am better served just really trying to get as much "real-world" playtesting done as possible. I may take a stab at it over the next couple of weeks, seeing as I'm not going to be heading to SHUX as I had originally hoped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |