Subject: Board Game Stores In Upstate NY? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to be around the Syracuse/Utica area of Upstate NY this weekend and I'm wondering if there are any good board game shops in either of these cities. Anyone know of any?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.playthegamereadthestory.com/index.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Cooper
United States
Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The basement of "Books and Memories" on 2600 James St, Syracuse has a huge collection of used board games in the basement section of their bookstore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:

Is this a pretty good store? Their online selection seems good, so I hope the in-store selection is just as good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
...sure...
Netherlands
Rijen
Noord Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/120302

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Spellman
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I went to school there, and we went to Twilight Book and Games Emporium. Man they had everything. Too bad I had a College Student's bank account....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bryanspellman wrote:
I went to school there, and we went to Twilight Book and Games Emporium. Man they had everything. Too bad I had a College Student's bank account....

It doesn't look good for that store, here's an entry from the Game Store Database:

"I believe this store has gone out of buisness. I stopped by in June 2000 and there was a sign on the door that said something like "Due to unfortunate circumstances this store is closed PERMANENTLY. Check for us on Ebay."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Spellman
United States
Fishers
IN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad, many a good saturday there drooling and dicing....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Butler
United States
Hughesville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Books and Memories is a great store. The owner was involved with SPI in some capacity back in the 70s. The basement game store is very cool, but not as well stocked as it once was.

There was a big game store next to the Spagatti Warehouse, not sure if it's still there or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Sperling
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I'm from Binghamton, NY originally. There is a great store off main st. johnson city called Fat Cat Books. They have a wonderful selection of games and books. Plus great people run the store!! Also in Binghamton area is a store called Center Field Cards and Comics, it is in Endicott off of main st, too. They had some interesting stuff, but Fat Cat is better by far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff
United States
Western Great Lakes - Owashtinong Aajigaaning
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zaphod wrote:

Play the Game, Read the Story is an awesome FLGS! I found them on this list, gave them a call on the first leg of a trip Michigan-Ontario-New York-Massachusetts and hit the store on the way back.

It reminds me of our Grand Rapids-area old 'Wizards of the Coast' store and Fanfare in Kalamazoo. Comics, Board games, role playing and more. But the great boardgaming stuff was up in front and there were plenty of dice rolling and boardgaming knickknacks that helped spawn game design or development ideas just like a good craft store would.

I recommend this as a quick stop off of the NY State Thruway in the Carousel mall just south on I-81 or something I think. Travel time would be about ten minutes off and just over ten to get back on the Thruway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW! What an old thread.
 Thumb up
 tip