Overboard Games
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Human Punishment is the best social deduction game I've ever played, it expands the genre by adding depths and twists to create a fun, tense and energetic game that has you coming back for more. The Machines want to eliminate the Humans, the Humans want to survive and the Outlaws want all the glory for themselves. But lurking in the shadows are the Legion and the Fallen, 2 extra teams you may have to contend with.

At the start of Human Punishment only you know the team you're on, but even that may change in the future. Your loyalty is based on the colour majority of your cards, Human blue, Machine red, Outlaw grey/no majority. The standard formula is twisted by having some IDs state that you're always Machine/Human/Outlaw/Legion/Fallen and some program cards when drawn will give you X Loyalty in X faction. The way you find out who's on who's team is by looking secretly at players loyalty cards or pointing a gun at them forcing them to reveal or take damage. Adding these small mechanics to the game add depth that is much needed without the consequence of making it more complex. Every time an ID is flipped everyone wants to know what it does and the tension it creates when doing so is very enjoyable especially at higher player counts as the game can get very chaotic in a fun way.

One of my favourite features is the weapons, the 3 basic weapons are the Pistol, The Rifle and the Companion with the possibilities of the devastating Rocket Launcher or the sneaky Laser. Choosing a weapon in Human Punishment isn't universal, the weapons can effect a player in two ways; either reveal a card or take damage. Every player has 2 HP but also has the option to reveal their loyalty card / ID if they don't want to take damage. This is a clever mechanic as you can try and remain secret for longer by taking damage or just start revealing who you are and last longer. But that's not all, when you equip a weapon you have to wait an entire round to shoot someone or not and change target or just drop the weapon all together. This is genius as it allows people to convince you to change your mind whiles you've got a gun pointed at them ramping up tension and a kill if the player isn't convinced.

As I mentioned previously you can potentially survive longer but when you do meet your demise it could actually benefit you. Human Punishment adds unique abilities to the ID cards and one of them is to bring someone back from the dead, there's also a program card that can do it too. These two ways of coming back from the dead are groundbreaking and add some serious chaos to the game due to the fact when you die you find out who's team everyone is on so you can find out if the game is over or not. This means you can talk about what you know if you come back alive. This is incredibly funny and chaotic when you're in a big game and someone comes back alive and knows everything.

To conclude this is a thrilling and shot of an adrenaline to the social deduction genre that rightfully needed one. I can't rate this game highly enough, I've never had this much fun in a social deduction game since Resistance but Human Punishment will now and maybe forever be crowned the best social deduction game on my list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Godot
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very very much, you made my day <3

I love your twitch streams btw, hope there will be more ^^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.