First of all, we all loved this expansion and how it changes the base game into a partial cooperative wargame. Even some who were not big Kemet fans really enjoyed the game changes. I totally recommend wargamers and area control people get this expansion!
In playing some questions came up that we felt was worth asking the designers and BGG folks.
really happy you enjoyed this expansion !! Thanks for sharing your feelings.
I ll try to answer your questions.
1. Seth can only win Combat VPs. Does the bl;ue tile 'Defensive Victory' give Combat VPs? Does the Combat Vulture and Devourer give Combat VPs? Are there other Combat VPs in the game?
Yes, for "defensive victory" and for the two creatures.
An other way is to corrupt a community troop and that the attackers wins.
Winning a battle with a corrupted creature give a VP too.
2. Seth Creature Cards. These all seem to have very low combat Strength (except Sphinx) so are they meant to only attack small groups? Do they always (except Griffin Sphinx) fight alone? Does Devourer give a Combat VP if it kills two opposing units (even if it loses the combat)? Is the Mummy taking a DI card a random DI card?
Yes, they fight alone (but remembrer that you must add a battle cards and discard one). For the devourer, you must win the battle to win the bonus VP.
The mummy steals a random DI card (that can be played in this battle or kept in hand by Seth for a later fight).
3. Seth DI cards. Can multiple Seth DI cards be played that modify combat (give Strength or Damage)?
Yes, as long as you pay the costs.
4. Corrupt a Troop. When using Corrupt a Troop, can the troop be made to attack a Seth troop, thus Seth will win the battle either way? Can Seth pay Prayer Points to teleport a corrupted troop? When corrupted troops fight other Alliance players, the alliance players choose the DI and combat cards, correct? We found this was ineffective as both players made sure they caused no damage and were able to retreat to where they wanted to be...
Yes, a corrupted troop can attack a Seth Troop. Of course, the defender will be played by the Seth player. If Seth wins the battle, he won't earn a VP. In this situation, Seth will have interest to loose the battle .
Of course, combined with "defensive victory"...
Yes the alliance players involved in the fight choose combat and DI cards they want but cannot communicate.
It is one of the specificity of this action : community player must try not to win the fight (because they give Seth a VP) and avoid making themselves too much damages.
5. Seth Power Tiles. Are the troops from Unit Corruption kept for the rest of the game? How does Magic Versatility work if claimed by the Alliance? Can the Alliance take and use Annexation against Seth? This happened in our game and it was crushing to Seth!
Yes, for the "unit corruption" tile.
For "Annexation", yes, a community player can acquire it if he fulfilled the conditions (Having its 3 pyramids at a level equal or higher to te level of the purple power tile he wants to buy. Page 8 of the rulebook).
"Magic versatility" allows the owner to have an extra action that can be of the colour of Seth's choice. It can be played on a yellow space of his game board to take a corruption action on any community player or be considered as a purple token.
6. Alliance Power Tiles. Are the To Defeat and May My Energy You Strength are free extras or do they require a action token?
They don't require any action token. It gives you a one shot free action.
7. Sacred Temple. To upgrade a level 1 or level 2 do the units need to be in the space with the upgrading temple? The Prayer Tokens provide Prayer points 'at the end of each phase of the day'. Does this mean end of Night and Day Phases? If Seth controls the Temple does it still provide the Prayer and Power token benefits? Does it still count as a win condition if controlled by Seth?
Yes, the units must be on the Same space than the temple to upgrade.
When there is a prayer token, you must consider it as a "classic" temple : it provides PP when controlled at the end of a day phase (by Seth or a community troop).
Power token always benefits the community, even if Seth control the temple.
8. Great Ceremony. Great ceremony is not an action. When can the Great Ceremony be attempted? At any time on the Alliance turn or before Alliance Turn like building the sacred temple? Example, can the Alliance players use their turn moving units to obelisk desert spaces and getting Prayer Points and spend them all at end of Alliance turn?
It can be made at any moment during the community's turn. So, yes, some player can move to an obelisk space, make the Great Ceremony and then, community player who did not yet played, make their action.
9. Mixed troops. If the Alliance has troops next to Seth's purple pyramid is it considered controlled by the Alliance (to gain purple Tiles)?
Yes, if you mean, in the city of Seth.
Thanks in advance. Most of these can be guessed (which we did) but clarification is important. It would be awesome to see a living Seth rulebook that gets rid of some of ambiguity (I saw the other consolidated FAQ here in BGG). Again, this expansion is amazing! Just the scope and how it changes the Kemet game is awesome and so am not surprised there are questions and clarifications.
Hope I'm clear and that it helps.
Thanks for your compliments
Don't hesitate if I missed any answer.
Have fun playing