Daniel Schwering
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I'm sick of playing games made for kids and my kids(5&6) ususally play games that are rated above their age, we started to try which of our "grown up games" we can play with the kids by reducing the rules. I'd like to know who did something similar and how you changed which game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwering
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For example, we played Treasure Hunter with only the positive point treasures and only the numbered character cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
This question gets asked about once a year. My answer is always "Railroad Tycoon".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parry Pollock
Canada
Whistler
BC
flag msg tools
Family Gamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My 6 yr old (and many I've heard about on BGG) play Kingdomino and don't have to lessen the rules.

We also play:
Santorini, but not with God cards.
Sushi Go!, full rules.
Aquarius, with all action cards.
Carcassonne, without the farmers.

I think there are a lot of lighter games that may state a higher age, but can be grasped by younger kids. Or do you want heavier games and then lessen the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed B
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a geeklist with exactly this. Feel free to have a look and and even add some entries if youfeel like we have the same vibe:
Playing with young children (age 5 and 7, even 3) by adapting and houseruling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Szpot
Poland
Rybnik
flag msg tools
Hey look, a pony!
badge
Smile :)
mbmbmbmbmb
The most relevant mention there can be. (AFAIK at least)

Having none, I can't speak of much experience here, but were I put on the spot I'd reach for something like easy-rules Zendo, Fluxx, coops like Forbidden Island, the easier games out of Pyramid Arcade. I could see easy rules modifications to make Indian Summer or Patchwork easier to get into. Or Azul. Or Sagrada.

Then again, I've been told I'm terrible at these kinds of insights. So take all that with a grain of salt.

Oooh, and Dixit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d b
United States
De Forest
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The road is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind.
badge
I taught my dog to play Mage Knight... good dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
ppollock wrote:
My 6 yr old (and many I've heard about on BGG) play Kingdomino and don't have to lessen the rules.

We also play:
Santorini, but not with God cards.
Sushi Go!, full rules.
Aquarius, with all action cards.
Carcassonne, without the farmers.

I think there are a lot of lighter games that may state a higher age, but can be grasped by younger kids. Or do you want heavier games and then lessen the rules?

Santorini, but with giving them only a God card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schwering
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Santorini was also our first choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Harris
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
The Beautiful Meeples, The Beautiful Meeples
badge
Play More Games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Island is a great one. I've played with my 4 year old, and she does alright. Doesn't usually make the most ideals moves, but has fun running around the island and gathering the treasures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
X-wing miniatures with just the basic ships, no mods. Introduced it to my son at 5 and he loves it. With a little coaching, he does a good job of trying to anticipate my moves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stephens
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I have a 7 and 11 year, both girls...My 11 year old isn't too into gaming but when the electronics go away shes willing to play anything to keep from getting bored. Whereas my 6 year old is REALLY into games and gaming but has a hard time understanding and following the rules and also has a hard time finishing a game that she already sees she is about to lose at.

That being said the 1 game we can all agree upon and you can break dowen the rules to make it as easy or as hard as you'd like is Carcassonne!!

We started out by playing the basics of just getting them to match the pieces to make a board and put the pieces in the correct spot. Then we worked in claiming cities then a few games later added roads (as for points we just started with 1 point per completed city and same with roads) then I started incorporating the actual rules and it works very well now.

I've found that's the route, at least for my kids, to take to get them to understand the game. Break it down to the simplest mechanic and when they figure that out then add more and more into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Stephens
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Another great game thats easy to simplify the rules is Ticket to Ride.

You can break down the mechanics by starting with just teaching them how to lay the trains on the board by drawing the cards and matching colors. Once they have that down you can move onto giving them a ticket and maybe making the rule of "First person to finish their ticket wins" (obviously try to match up lengths of the ticket) and just move on from their to the actual game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Doolan
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
Board Game Basics Podcast please give us a listen. A father and 9 yo
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree with all the above games. There are actually a lot of games you can do this with. My 6 year old daughter loves Bohnanza and Sushi Go Party the most. But she does play Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride.
Another more "complex" game than can be made easier is Fresco. It has lots of cubes for "paints" that you mix and make other colours with while trying to paint the ceiling of a cathedral.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister P
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We remove the going bust rule from Catan i.e. when you roll a 7, if you have more than seven cards you must discard half.

I also use this adjustment to teach the game to Japanese students.

Additionally we start basic Catan with a settlement and a city to get it going faster.

I also felt the farmers made Carcassonne a little to complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hiya - I had the same issue and went on a big hunt for games that would work and be enjoyable for adults. I didn't really simplify anything but this is what worked for us:

Age 5:
Carcassonne: Over Hill and Dale - with all rules as more intuitive than standard carc
Survive: Escape from Atlantis! (didn't come out much after getting pompeii)
The Downfall of Pompeii - needs a little bit of patience to learn first half but was and still is her fav game
Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise
The Little Prince: Make Me a Planet - fav filler
Karuba
Beasty Bar
Best Treehouse Ever
Birds of a Feather
River Dragons
Diamant

Age six:
Dream Home - prob would have worked at 5 yrs
Dead Man's Draw (captain carcass version - prob would have worked at 5 yrs
Colt Express
Camel Up
Saboteur
Indigo
Steam Park
Garden Dice - might have worked earlier
Jaipur
Room 25
Sewer Pirats
Kodama: The Tree Spirits

7+ became much much easier and managed petty much everything I currently have in my collection.

King of tokyo, get bit, adventure land and Jamaica also worked but we didn't like them much personally but may suit you.

Although we got them later, my six year old niece played Off the Rails, Deep Sea Adventure and Kokoro: Avenue of the Kodama recently and was fine. Rocky Road à la Mode also may have worked at 6 although got when just turned 7.

I should add she tried ticket to ride and a few co-ops like castle panic and forbidden island but hated them and refused to finish - she could play them however.

Might be at least one or two you fancy there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincenzo Tringali
Germany
Offenbach am Main
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience so far with a 4yo boy is that almost every "daddy-game" can be houseruled. We already played some of the games listed here: Santorini, Carcassonne, King of Tokyo, Flash Point: Fire Rescue. We (will) add more original rules as soon as he is ready for them.
Last week we played Dice Hospital only using the "cure patients/dice" mechanic.

zanwot wrote:
I made a geeklist with exactly this. Feel free to have a look and and even add some entries if youfeel like we have the same vibe:
Playing with young children (age 5 and 7, even 3) by adapting and houseruling

Interesting list, I'll add some games we played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diana and Stefan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
6 year old boy loves playing 7 Wonders Duelagainst his dad. it's a two player game and i sometimes join him as a united front. his strategy is always pursuing the military victory.

other games we play:
Mmm! and Forbidden Desert for a coop game

we recently introduced him to a simplified version of Azul. as counting end of rounds points is a bit difficult for him at his age, the winner is the first player to get one horizontal and one vertical line filled

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Koneko: A PvP worker placement game set in a very Feline Feudal Japan........
badge
Celtic Connection Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Age 5 1/2 and we play Flash point Fire Rescue, Ticket to Ride, Pandemic, Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle and Marvel Legendary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Wise
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
with my 4 year old we manage colt express as a coop 😊

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deev
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm about to try Sagrada without the tool cards for a 5-year-old.

She liked Castle Panic and I don't think we changed rules for her there -- it just took a couple times for things to make sense.

On the sillier end, maybe a year ago I set up Xia using basically no rules at all and turned it just into a race to get to a specified point. The pieces and dice were fun for her. By now I could probably introduce a few other details -- like maybe an enemy guarding a shorter route.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Harper
Switzerland
Baden
Aargau
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
d33v wrote:
I'm about to try Sagrada without the tool cards for a 5-year-old.

We are also going to try Sagrada with our two (5&7) this week, without the tool cards I think they will take to it very well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My seven year old has been enjoying Mille Bornes for a few years now. We simplify by not doing all the scoring. We just play first to 1000 K distance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
www.geekyteacherparent.com/podcast
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics was my children's and my favorite game when they were that age. Now there is Stuffed Fables also. They are made for adults to play with kids, but quite a few adults play them without kids because they are just great games. Those games are quite an experience to have with your children. And for us Mice and Mystics led us into full role playing games shortly after. For a role playing game at that age use No Thank You, Evil!. It has different levels of difficulty built in to the player character control so that you can ramp things up as they age, or have older children able to play with them (cousins or what not) on the more advanced levels. You can also get them into beginning miniatures gaming with Fuzzy Heroes version two. You can download that from https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/61474/Fuzzy-Heroes-2nd-.... That game lets them use their stuffed animals and action figures to battle it out with you. That one is fun with all levels of elementary school students. Also there are lots of "My First" versions of classic eurogames out there now. We liked the My First Carcassonne and Catan: Junior ones that were out at that point. The Magic Labyrinth was a favorite with them at that age as well. I liked it also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryll Gerk
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
badge
Empress Rin
mbmbmbmbmb
Patchwork. I leave out the buttons and time, just leaving the 'select one of the three pieces after the marker' rule and we just try to build the board with the least openings each until there are no more pieces we can fit.
He's just 5, but he's pretty good at the whole geometry thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.