Subject: 1pg Miniatures Games Terrain Thread. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Lorenthia is gone, The Shadow Deep has swallowed it whole.
badge
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space. Space monkey! Ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing!" -Tyler Durden
mbmbmbmbmb
Printing Rangers of Shadow Deep and using Descent Minis. This is my first real miniature skirmish game and I need some ideas for terrain. I have no idea where to start.

Hoping you geeks can guide me.

I need like just a simple pack for wilderness type things, you know trees shrubs rocky outcrops etc.

Probably something like ruins too. It specifically calls for ruined buildings. Any help would be much appreciated.

Looking for 1 maybe 2, 3 tops set that will help me enjoy this game. Sounds like the terrain is the only thing I'm missing other than a game mat and a ruler.

Edit: Any other Novices like myself looking to get started, check this thread too. RoSD Terrain Resource Thread
Edit 2: As requested I have changed the title to one more suited to open discussion on Terrain for miniatures games. Feel free to share your terrain crafts purchases or ideas here. Or ask questions to some of the veterans subscribed to this thread.
Edit 3: Another useful resource for starting out with terrain Compatible terrain for under $10 for the newcomer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Terrain for miniatures game?
There is a huge range of options on what to use for terrain depending on several factors:

* Detail - From just using some erasers, empty boxes and yogurt containers to full-on dioramas. The middle ground is still pretty wide.

* Effort - Do you want to make stuff yourself, or just buy pre-made stuff. If you want to buy, do you mind assembling, painting, etc? If you want to make it yourself, how much time do you want to spend, do you want to buy special supplies or just make stuff from things lying around.

* Cost - You want nice detailed resin kits and realistic water? that will cost you. Do you just want super-simple stuff bought from a dollar shop or built from cardboard?

It's really hard to tell what you want, but some good youtube resources if you're crafty:

The Dm's Craft Generally good for quick and cheap terrain. RPG focus, but it can still be easily made for wargames

The Terrain Tutor Wargames focused. Ranging from fairly simple to quite detailed.

Cheap plastic aquarium plants can be useful. You can sometimes find little model buildings (foam, wood, card) at stationary stores or toy stores. There are also many papercraft buildings you can just print on card and make if you have the time and ink (just search 'papercraft terrain', or 'papercraft buildings' if you want some).

There are, of course, so many other paths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
My main advice would be not to be intimidated by some of the terrain you see people using. It can take a fair amount of time and money to build a terrain collection, but it is easy to start cheap, it just won't look as fancy at first.

Start with using toys, cardboard boxes, wet/dry erase maps etc. and slowly add fancier pieces to your collection. Your early games will often feature a mix of cheap and ad hoc terrain, with maybe one or two fancy centerpieces. As you slowly build your collection, your table will look better and better.

But don't wait to play until you have a huge collection. You can just toss some books/boxes as buildings, cut out some circles to represent trees, and start playing.

Part of the joy of tabletop skirmish games is slowly building/making/buying terrain. Don't expect it to be like a board game where you open the box and it looks complete. Embrace the crafting, hunting, buying, painting aspects of tabletop skirmish games and you will have more fun.

Cheapest Options:

- Wet/Dry erase map with some markers, draw the terrain on the map and you are done! Great way to get started playing while you are waiting to buy/afford actual terrain.

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/...

- Alternately, for a game mat, just buy a large sheet of green construction paper from the dollar store (and maybe a blue sheet to cut out some rivers). For buildings, just take a small box from something you bought, cut out a side with a jagged edge to look like a collapsed building and paint it brown with cheap paint from the dollar store.

- Trees, fences and other terrain can often be found in the toy section of the dollar store.

- Papercraft buildings that you print on cardstock and assemble yourself with glue and a knife. I like Dave Graffam Models, but poke around on drivethrurpg and there are lots of options.

http://drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?keywords=dave+graffam&x=0...

- Search tabletop terrain on youtube and you will find lots of tutorials on how to make hills and other terrain out of styrofoam, putty and cheap paint.

Mid-range Options:

Terra Tiles large hexes with terrain printed on them. Same company makes sets of cardboard walls/hedges/trees that you just punch out and assemble.

https://rainnstudios.com/products/coasts-and-rivers

https://rainnstudios.com/products/terratiles-battle-pack

- Plast Craft Games have some pre-colored glue together buildings that are quite affordable, especially if you can find them in a retail store vs. the website. A few of their themed lines would word for Rangers.

https://plastcraftgames.com/en/8-colored-malifaux

https://plastcraftgames.com/en/28-gothic-millenium

https://plastcraftgames.com/en/23-ewar-28mm-colored

Fancy Expensive Options:

- My favourite terrain buildings are by 4ground, they are laser-cut MDF that you assemble yourself with white glue. They are precoloured, and have removable roofs so the interiors are playable space. They have great fantasy and western buildings that would both fit Rangers.

Link to company website, but note these are available through retail stores, usually at a slightly lower price than the website.

https://www.4ground.co.uk/city-of-mordanburg

https://www.4ground.co.uk/the-dead-mans-hand

- Woodland scenics makes awesome trees.

https://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/

- Battlefield in a Box makes great hills, rivers, trenches and other prepainted stuff.

https://www.gf9.com/Default.aspx?tabid=286
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Baer
China
Suzhou
flag msg tools
badge
Nothing to see here, move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently discovered Luke Towan on YouTube. He's often referred to as the Bob Ross of dioramas and I concur.
Check out his stuff at https://www.bouldercreekrailroad.com to get an idea of what is possible at the high end of terrain crafting.

I don't know if I ever try to build something like that but just watching him do his thing is a lot of fun. meeple

Also don't be intimated by Luke's work. Instead follow Rev's advice and build up your terrain slowly and get playing quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another place to look for pre-made, you just print and assemble terrain

https://www.wargamevault.com/browse.php?keywords=terrain&x=0...=
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An example of a cheap set-up, here I am playing Frostgrave using:

- one Dave Graffam papercraft building that cost me $5 to download and $3 to print at the print shop ($8 total)

- one papercraft hill from worldworksgames.com that cost me about $5 total to buy the pdf and print

- a bunch of Pathfinder Pawn standees from a box I got on sale for less than $20

- some cardboard trees and crates from my Krosmaster Arena game.

Here I am playing FUBAR using:

- some free papercraft buildings I found online at https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=5C08D02D0B309F29&id=5C08D02D0...

- A bunch of $1 hot wheels cars from the dollar store

- some free papercraft walls available from http://www.combatstorm.com/download.html

- some trees from woodland scenics

- pilfered minis from a bunch of games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I am playing Six Gun Sound: Blaze of Glory! with a more expensive set-up using a bunch of the 4Ground western mdf buildings and accessories (crates, wagon, tombstones), some Pegasus Hobbies cactuses, and some pre-painted minis.

This also has some cheap stuff in it too though. The cattle are from the dollar store, and the rocks are from a bag of lava rocks I got from the hardware store for $5.

Here is a game of Mars Attacks: The Miniatures Game.

Even though this has a bunch of more expensive stuff (4Ground MDF buildings, Battlefield in a Box prepainted rock formations, Woodland Scenics trees), I am still using one of my papercraft buildings (bottom left).

So as you can see, you can start cheap but slowly add more expensive stuff and combine it with your starting cheap stuff to great effect.

A lot of the fun is getting creative in laying out your table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space. Space monkey! Ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing!" -Tyler Durden
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I am mostly looking for cheap easy stuff to start with. These are some great Ideas. Thanks so much in putting in the effort to school me Rev. This is a great launchpad here. Time to do some digging.

Edit: Purchased "TerraTiles: Battle Pack - Modular Walls, Trees, and More"

This will get me started I appreciate all the advice. I am starting to realize how unique this miniature gaming side of the hobby is. I am excited to start slowly building up a terrain collection.

Going to have my wife scope some of those buildings tomorrow and see what she likes. Going to turn this into a project.

Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more example of how effectively you can combine cheap papercraft buildings and walls with more expensive stuff (in this case some Industrial Terrain from Mantic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:
Yeah, I am mostly looking for cheap easy stuff to start with. These are some great Ideas. Thanks so much in putting in the effort to school me Rev. This is a great launchpad here. Time to do some digging.

Any time!

Different theme, but check out this thread for some good advice too.

Compatible terrain for under $10 for the newcomer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! That thread is what made me want to ask about terrain more geared for Rangers. I lurked through it.

My wife wants me to track down Fallout Wasteland Warfare too. The base set. That will be a good resource to have once we have the capital to start thinking about another minis game.

Looks like there is some stuff that would work in rangers too. Those were some of the ones you just suggested to me here. LOL
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may seem silly but I am going to use some wooden blocks like this for objects and structures I don't have anything for. Just something super stupid basic to start with. I have poster putty I can use to keep them in place too.

Alright, I think I have spent enough time and money tonight. Time to go pass out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can do a hell of a lot with those blocks. Just ask any kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been following the 2.5D construction videos on YouTube. Very simple, very low cost, a few sheets of printed textures, old corrugated cardboard and your trusty glue stick. Quite effective PnP stuff. They are starting to get quite aventurous and more complex in their builds.

Not looked at World Works Games for years. They had some neat selfbuild stuff as I remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bowker
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paper Terrain https://www.paperterrain.com/european-buildings/. Has great looking buildings that come with both ruined and new versions of the buildings.

For wood kits check out https://www.thingsfromthebasement.com/store/c1/Featured_Prod....

They have a wide range of items including some things geared more toward fantasy gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is my Rangers terrain so far, cardstock builds from free files found at DTR and other places. I’m making tiles from cardstock and foamboard as well, tho’ in the end I think I’ll just go with a dry erase hex map.

I’ve ordered the rules section printed out by Lulu, and it should take a couple of weeks for it to get here, so in that time I hope to have some more trees and buildings assembled, and more minis painted up. I’m certainly enjoying this aspect of the hobby, it very much reminds me of drawing towns in the dirt for our Tonka trucks to drive thru!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen paper terrain that looked so good (admittedly I haven't looked that much). Makes it look like a great option whenever I get into this sort of thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:
This is my Rangers terrain so far, cardstock builds from free files found at DTR and other places. I’m making tiles from cardstock and foamboard as well, tho’ in the end I think I’ll just go with a dry erase hex map.

I’ve ordered the rules section printed out by Lulu, and it should take a couple of weeks for it to get here, so in that time I hope to have some more trees and buildings assembled, and more minis painted up. I’m certainly enjoying this aspect of the hobby, it very much reminds me of drawing towns in the dirt for our Tonka trucks to drive thru!

Those look great! nice work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, everyone for continuing to provide resources for the terrain. I had a look at the first campaign and There aren't as many buildings as I thought there would be. Most of the scenarios take place indoors.

Edit: I ordered a few of the Dave Graffam paper models to print on card stock. I missed the first few missions in the book before the campaign proper.

I am looking for some additional campaigns that take place in like a town setting so I can make use of some more of these Card Paper Building prints.

DonkeyJay wrote:
This is my Rangers terrain so far, cardstock builds from free files found at DTR and other places.

Jay part of the reason I bought the PDF for rangers is I saw you bought in. My display won't look nearly as good, but I figured if the system is good enough for Jay I better try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I am struggling to get UPS or FedEx online print order to print these layers in the Dave Graffam PDF. Man, I wish I had a cardstock color printer. I wonder if I go into a store with the files, can I set that up? I have only ever set up print orders online.

Rev: It looked like you printed one of his designs at a print shop. How did you get the layers to show? Did you just bring the file into the shop and arrange it there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:
Now I am struggling to get UPS or FedEx online print order to print these layers in the Dave Graffam PDF. Man, I wish I had a cardstock color printer. I wonder if I go into a store with the files, can I set that up? I have only ever set up print orders online.

Rev: It looked like you printed one of his designs at a print shop. How did you get the layers to show? Did you just bring the file into the shop and arrange it there?

Yep, went to a local "self-serve" place with the files on a USB stick and just printed them myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
ogoctopus wrote:

Yep, went to a local "self-serve" place with the files on a USB stick and just printed them myself.

Thank you sir! Add that to the list of things you've schooled me on. Print shops!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just ordered some Clever Paper terrain from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GOWLHKK/ref=oh_aui_deta...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EMPX410/ref=oh_aui_deta...

It starts from around $10 and goes up. It looks really good and the buildings I have open up. I have enjoyed putting them together as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usfbrown wrote:

Those look great! How is the size compared to a 28mm mini? Any chance you could take a photo of one of them with a mini standing by a doorway?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
usfbrown wrote:

Those look great! How is the size compared to a 28mm mini? Any chance you could take a photo of one of them with a mini standing by a doorway?

Sorry for the bad pics. I have another game on the table right now and it takes up the entire table. I'll get some in game pics here soon.

The buildings are a tad small for the 28mm but it's not bad. To me, it's not a big deal especially for the price, ease to build, and the look. I love them! This is 28mm Rohan Warrior miniature from Middle-earth Strategy Battle Game: The Lord Of The Rings – Battle of Pelennor Fields.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Warriors-Of-Rohan-2018

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [26] |