flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Terrain for miniatures game?
usfbrown wrote:
reverendunclebastard wrote:
usfbrown wrote:
I just ordered some Clever Paper terrain from Amazon.

Those look great! How is the size compared to a 28mm mini? Any chance you could take a photo of one of them with a mini standing by a doorway?

Sorry for the bad pics. I have another game on the table right now and it takes up the entire table. I'll get some in game pics here soon.

That's perfect thanks! They look close enough for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Lorenthia is gone, The Shadow Deep has swallowed it whole.
badge
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space. Space monkey! Ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing!" -Tyler Durden
mbmbmbmbmb
usfbrown wrote:
Can you tell us anything about the figures it says it comes with? It says comes with 6 figures with foam stands on a bunch of these.

Those Clever Paper Puzzles look like they'd play nice with the Dave Graffam buildings rev sold me on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:
usfbrown wrote:
Can you tell us anything about the figures it says it comes with? It says comes with 6 figures with foam stands on a bunch of these.

Those Clever Paper Puzzles look like they'd play nice with the Dave Graffam buildings rev sold me on.

I can try and take a picture when I get home today (if I remember).

They are small paper figures with a front and back side. The foam stands aren't the best. I've had trouble getting them to stay up. They're ok, not great.

They should be good for NPCs or towns folk. I think I got a cart in one of the sets too.

Still, the value of these are worth it to me.

Stock pic (bases not shown in pic)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space. Space monkey! Ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing!" -Tyler Durden
mbmbmbmbmb
Those would be great for when Rangers calls for villagers. I grabbed the watermill which I think comes with the donkey cart. AFAIK there is a scenario that calls for a cart. Overall very good buys. Thanks for calling my attention to these. So stoked to start getting all this together to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:
Those would be great for when Rangers calls for villagers. I grabbed the watermill which I think comes with the donkey cart. AFAIK there is a scenario that calls for a cart. Overall very good buys. Thanks for calling my attention to these. So stoked to start getting all this together to play.

Great to hear! I think you'll love them. Here's the standees mine came with.

28mm mini for reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Bryan! Those will work great for villagers in Rangers.

So I tried printing some of the papercraft ones on regular printer paper. Haven't made it to the print shop as of yet.

I found it very difficult to piece together and my end result looks like it's about to fall over. I am assuming it's easier to put together with Cardstock?

I am guessing I should be trying to get some paper glue to whatever that is. Looks like Dave recommends that for his models.

Super glue was not a friend to me in trying to piece together that cabin. It's always a struggle soak it with soap then scrape it off fingertips. I'm mostly clean now...mostly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cardstock would probably work better. Regular old white glue or tacky glue (which is basically thicker white glue that sets a bit quicker) or gluesticks are probably best for gluing paper/card. For plastic (but not resin) models, plastic cement is best. The right tool/glue for the right job.

The cardstock buildings people posted look pretty good. I never encountered them before. It looks like they are die-cut, which saves the hassle of cutting out paper models. Of course, some of the paper models look great, too. Another hobby in it's own right, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few tricks for paper models. I got these from somewhere a few years ago (possibly Yamaha or Cannon) and have found them really useful. Score the creases of folds (use a knife for mountain folds, and something blunt for valley folds (or turn the page over and score the back), and make sure you pre-fold everything before gluing. This will help give nice crisp corners.

Use PVA glue, apply a small amount to the back of the piece, not on the frontside of the tab (you can use a finger and scrape it along the inside edge). This will help to stop glue from squishing out when you press the parts together.

A self-healing cutting mat and sharp knife help. I use a hobby knife (the type where you snap off blade sections) with a 30 degree angle. Snap off and get a new cutting edge if it ever seems to get blunt.

To make curves, hold the flat part in your hand and rub a smooth cylinder back and fourth until it naturally starts to bend.

For multi-part models, make sure to score first, then cut, and then write the part numbers on the back. It saves a lot of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:
Thanks, Bryan! Those will work great for villagers in Rangers.

So I tried printing some of the papercraft ones on regular printer paper. Haven't made it to the print shop as of yet.

I found it very difficult to piece together and my end result looks like it's about to fall over. I am assuming it's easier to put together with Cardstock?

I am guessing I should be trying to get some paper glue to whatever that is. Looks like Dave recommends that for his models.

Super glue was not a friend to me in trying to piece together that cabin. It's always a struggle soak it with soap then scrape it off fingertips. I'm mostly clean now...mostly.

You really do need to use cardstock, and regular elmers white glue (or a gluestick). Paper is just *way* too flimsy.

Also, to score along the folds, I use the non-sharp side of the knife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can’t print on card stock you can print on sticker sheet and stick that onto something as thick as you want.

Or try printing on regular paper and glue that on to something heavier - you’d need to figure out how to do that - maybe spray adhesive? Some people do that for print and play cards or tokens so you may find tricks there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone know of decent lower cost scatter terrain:
crate boxes, chests, barrels, etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle McKinley
United States
Selden
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
usfbrown wrote:

MM has a lot of $1 miniature terrain like that.

Tiny Terrain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hysler wrote:
usfbrown wrote:

MM has a lot of $1 miniature terrain like that.

Tiny Terrain

I bought some of those recently and like them.

You can also find 3D printed stuff on sites like Amazon from 3rd party vendors. Or, if you're lucky enough to have access to 3D printing you can find files to print.

Or go the paper route, that is, paper bits that you print, cut out and assemble. Or craft your own from craft materials and/or items you might already have around the house - there are plenty of youtube videos and sites that will show how to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
usfbrown wrote:

Mantic has some great terrain crates available. Here is a link to their website to get a sense of the range and contents, but you can find these at more affordable prices at retailers here in North America. They range in size from small sets to huge crates, but a lot of great stuff in there.

http://www.manticgames.com/mantic-shop/terrain-crate/fantasy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy the thrill of the hunt, as I do, then consider stopping in to crafts stores such as Michaels or Jo-Ann Fabrics from time to time to peruse their clearance shelves. Both also offer great coupons if you sign up.

I picked up the item below yesterday at Michaels for $4. It's just crying for a custom scenario about finding a wizard's cottage in the woods.

I also bought a large box of these project bricks, which look like they could double for hay bales. I may lazily use a few piles of them to represent rubble in a Fallout scenario.

The roll of blue cellophane is great for creating water surfaces such as lakes, streams and ocean fronts, while the two bridges were part of an accessory line that was on clearance. As I recall, they were $2 or so each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestions! Wish I would have known about that cellophane trick! I just got this neoprene river set for $30

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079J64XMQ/ref=oh_aui_deta...

Looks like I got the last one too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for some instructions on paper craft.

I am excited to show you all my first legit(?) papercraft model.

In the pic, you can see a few (possible) members of my rangers warband facing off against some razorwings.

Thanks for the advice Paul about craft stores. I think we have both Micheals and Jo-Ann in our neighborhood down the main stretch. I may consider taking a few trips in there. Just go on a big outing to dollar trees dollar generals and craft shops. We have one of the rare few Hobby lobby's remaining left down that stretch too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:

In the pic, you can see a few (possible) members of my rangers warband facing off against some razorwings.

Thanks for the advice Paul about craft stores. I think we have both Micheals and Jo-Ann in our neighborhood down the main stretch. I may consider taking a few trips in there. Just go on a big outing to dollar trees dollar generals and craft shops. We have one of the rare few Hobby lobby's remaining left down that stretch too.

Looks awesome! Be sure to let us know how you like the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:

Looks awesome!

One tip, on the roof, where it changes from looking like shingles, to looking like wood, you can score along that line and fold the "wood" portion right under the roof and glue it to the underside. It makes the roof look cleaner and makes it more rigid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:

Looks awesome!

One tip, on the roof, where it changes from looking like shingles, to looking like wood, you can score along that line and fold the "wood" portion right under the roof and glue it to the underside. It makes the roof look cleaner and makes it more rigid.

I was wondering about that. Looked weird with all that white.

Thanks so many guys. I'm going to be learning the rules this weekend. Most of the stuff comes today, so I might start tonight, and try to do the first scenario Saturday. I'm super stoked. I've been going through my minis: Blood Rage, Dark Souls: The Board Game, and Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition), and all our various expansions.

At this point, I'm not sure if it matters if I like the game. I seriously love just navigating all this. If I don't like this game, which I am sure I will, I love setting up the scenery. Can't wait to find some other soloable games where I can do this. I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew. My wife already thinks I am nuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:

At this point, I'm not sure if it matters if I like the game. I seriously love just navigating all this. If I don't like this game, which I am sure I will, I love setting up the scenery. Can't wait to find some other soloable games where I can do this. I just don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

The joy of tabletop miniatures skirmish games is the child-like joy of setting up your toys and playing out a story! Plus the hunt for interesting terrain, building papercraft, painting minis... there is so much to enjoy.

I have found that creative use of the The Solo System can make almost any game playable solo, with a little creativity.

As for tabletop games like RoSD that are playable solo right out of the box, well Frostgrave has solo scenarios in Frostgrave: Dark Alchemy. Those scenarios will also give you a great example of how you can set up your own solo scenarios for just about any game.

Pulp Alley has solo rules available in their Temple of the Serpent expansion.

I have also used the Solo System for some fun sessions of FUBAR, which is a simple one-page rule system for miniatures skirmishes, with a bunch of variants for modern combat, sci-fi, fantasy, medieval and more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so tempted by all that. Wife will kill me if I spend any more on Tabletop games right now. I have bookmarked and wishlisted the crap out of that stuff. December is coming soon. I may be getting some strange looks for my Christmas list this year. I doubt anyone but my wife would understand what I'm going on about.

I might just print that solo system though and slip in some cheap printer paper cards in some penny sleeves with Magic cards to keep them firm and shuffleable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:

I might just print that solo system though and slip in some cheap printer paper cards in some penny sleeves with Magic cards to keep them firm and shuffleable.

That's exactly what I did. It really is a fantastic design. I don't have many non-solo-capable games, but it has allowed me to enjoy the few I do have. I have Slaughterball and have had an absolute blast playing it using the Solo System to run my opponent. Takes a little bit of creative interpretation but works very well.

FYI Fubar is free!

https://fubarwargames.wordpress.com/downloads/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:

That's exactly what I did. It really is a fantastic design. I don't have many non-solo-capable games, but it has allowed me to enjoy the few I do have. I have Slaughterball and have had an absolute blast playing it using the Solo System to run my opponent. Takes a little bit of creative interpretation but works very well.

FYI Fubar is free!

https://fubarwargames.wordpress.com/downloads/

No shit?! So Much PnP gold going down here. Thinking about grabbing some of those free papercraft files with Fubar in mind. I have a ton of old army men from my youth too that I could rock with it.

Thanks for the heads up. I dreamed of a game like this when I was a kid. Organized rules for army men and other odd toys.

The dark fantasy one looks especially interesting. Going to print out a few pages of rules and supplements. Might start working on the solo system cards tonight too.

You rock dude! thanks so much for all your suggestions. Some of this stuff has my wife even getting excited about scenery and planning miniature games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ordered the watermill.

Got this in the mail instead:

Could not resist putting it together.

Now I have a dilemma. Do I order the watermill again hoping that the mislabeling was a small error, not a grand oversight with many mislabels? Or do I order something else entirely... There is always papercraft too.

I really need some rocks and bluffs. . . Hmmmm shake

Maybe I can satisfy my itch to create something by putting together stuff I have and not buy anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [26] |