Subject: 1pg Miniatures Games Terrain Thread. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Lorenthia is gone, The Shadow Deep has swallowed it whole.
badge
I'm a goddam killing machine!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably just include the title to the Kickstarter and let people google. We don't have express permission to post Kickstarter links here... Don't want this wonderful thread getting nuked.

Wouldn't hurt to remove it from the quoted text either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:
I would probably just include the title to the Kickstarter and let people google. We don't have express permission to post Kickstarter links here... Don't want this wonderful thread getting nuked.

done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cvlw wrote:
ogoctopus wrote:

done

Thanks, Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M N
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
You must unlearn what you have learned...because the next expansion or errata might just change the rules!
badge
The task is, not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:
Whizpopper wrote:
ogoctopus wrote:

Ordered mine yesterday! Wondering if any higher level content will be developed...

Have you seen Rangers of Shadow Deep: Ghost Stone? 2 scenrios require 10-15. Rangers of Shadow Deep: Temple of Madness is level 5-15 too.

Or were you hoping for higher?

I think it'd be hard to even get to level 15 without replaying Burning Light a few times on fail. Not sure about Ghost Stone, but if you fail Temple of madness you revert to before you went in. Failure a second time is death. It's a really hard set of missions too.

I meant I ordered Ghost Stone! DOH! I have a Ranger who is Level 17. Yes, failed Burning shadows...twice, and played a bunch of one-offs.

Perhaps it's time for the old boy to train a 1st level replacement...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could do that and start them off in ghost stone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cvlw wrote:
I wanted to bring the below Kickstarter to the thread's attention. I have no connection whatsoever and am not a backer (though I am thinking hard about it). It seems an ideal product for those of us doing solo gaming. The hard plastic terrain seems very good and the themes come across strongly. As someone who owns Fallout WW and is looking to go big on the Elder Scrolls miniatures game, this is looking like a no-brainer to save money on terrain from Modiphius.

The name of the campaign is: Dungeons & Lasers: Plastic Tabletop Scenery

I took a look at it. It's tempting, even though I've put a bunch of money and time into Battle Systems card terrain pieces. One thing that looks lacking in the plastic sci-fi terrain in that Dungeons and Lasers stuff are walls with windows, so it makes it less useful for games like Core Space.

I'm also a little wary that one or 2 people in the comments section mentioned that company (or its "sister company") has had some difficulties delivering ks to some people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been spending some more time at the other craft stores in my neighborhood, JoAnn Fabric and Craft, and found some cool stuff. Like Michaels, they have amazing coupons if you sign up. All the stuff below was $3-4 with 60-70% off coupons.

First up, some decorative moss that can be used for scrub, bushes, tumbleweeds and the like.

Next, a bundle of brown twigs that I plan to cut up to make fallen branches and the like. I might spray paint and dry brush some of them so they look like more like the desiccated wood you would see in Fallout.

Finally a bag of small stones that can be used to make piles of rubble, or generally scattered onto other terrain pieces. My main thought was to use them in Terminator Genisys: The Miniatures Game – The War Against The Machine after painting them grey, but I suppose they could also make an appearance in Fallout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the craft store. I go to hobby lobby in my neighborhood for all the woodland scenics stuff they have much greater range than Micheal's. They even carry Vallejo model color if I'm in a pinch for a color.

May be in for a trip this weekend to re-up my flocking supplies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin .
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross post from the miniature painting thread, since this is technically a terrain effect...

I'm approaching the end of the Warcry Starter box ruins terrain - it's been a lot of fun to paint, but there's a LOT of it! As a reminder - this is what it started out looking like:

I just wanted to share this piece because I struggled with the bell, and was really winging it trying to figure out how to get the effect I wanted. I used Citadel's Balthazar gold, then smeared a really heavy layer of their Nihlakh Oxide technical paint over the whole thing (MUCH more heavy than ANY of the directions or videos suggested) after lighter applications didn't give me what I wanted - I basically made the whole friggin' thing blue. Then I went back and dry brushed the Balthazar gold back over it with a really soft small makeup brush, and edge highlighted with Sycorax bronze. I ended up quite pleased with the result (and the rest of the bell tower as well). The hanging skeletons on the side are actually magnetized to the side of the bell tower - much more reasonable than gluing them (guaranteed to break off that way). To the side there was a test barricade that I wanted to check color selection on - I just have the rest of the barricades to go. (You might need to click on the photo to make it bigger for the bell details, I think.)

This makes me want to go get the Honored Imperium kit and paint that big space marine statue now...

Edit to add - Here's the back of the bell - I think I like this side even better, as it seems to have gotten some streaking effect (happy accident - probably brush strokes showing blush)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wow That bell looks amazing! The whole piece is gorgeous, but that bell! wow

IDK if you can show the detail of the magnets, but I’m having a hard time imagining magnets as tiny as that join...great idea, because yep, those cages would break off very easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M N
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
You must unlearn what you have learned...because the next expansion or errata might just change the rules!
badge
The task is, not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:

IDK if you can show the detail of the magnets, but I’m having a hard time imagining magnets as tiny as that join...great idea, because yep, those cages would break off very easily.

Neodymium magnets are amazing things. You can get 1/8 in magnets that will grab just about anything you can imagine for wargame terrain (0.8 pound pull force). They come in bigger sizes as well.

Here's just one example:
https://appliedmagnets.com/neodymium-magnet-1-8-in-x-1-16-in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jebb Carrier
United States
Laurel
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizpopper wrote:
DonkeyJay wrote:

Neodymium magnets are amazing things. You can get 1/8 in magnets that will grab just about anything you can imagine for wargame terrain (0.8 pound pull force). They come in bigger sizes as well.

Here's just one example:
https://appliedmagnets.com/neodymium-magnet-1-8-in-x-1-16-in...

Yes, those suckers are amazing. I've magnetized the bases of metal miniatures and stuck them in a cake pan for storage, no issues. Magnetized some large 40k tanks and planes and no issues there either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin .
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DonkeyJay wrote:

Thanks! I used neodymium magnets (I think I used 2x1mm ones) in the bell tower itself, and little strips of sheet metal glued on the brackets (which I then painted to match).

The sheet metal I had lying around in a great big roll from a previous roof repair, and I had the tin snips from chicken coop building (for the hardware cloth). Yes, I probably need smaller tin snips... But I still managed to cut two thin strips off of this piece with them.

The hold isn't as strong as I'd like because I ended up making the holes for the magnets too deep (still getting the hang of magnetizing), so there is a gap between the magnets and metal. They fall when knocked hard. Paired magnets would be very strong, but I was not sure I could get even my tiny magnets into that bracket without damage (with my current dexterity with a pin vise), and also I'm paranoid about not getting the polarity right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Jasper
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, that helps tremendously! I was thinking the magnets were just above the cages, rather than how you did do it.

And yeah, I’ve got to do some drilling for magnets in a couple of bases, and it’s making me pretty nervous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M N
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the magnets, once you find the depth you want by drilling some test holes, put your drill bit in a hole that's the right depth, then wrap a piece of colored tape around the bit, even with the flat part of your piece. When you pull out the bit, you'll see that the length below the tape is exactly the width of the magnet. Then, just drill down to the tape each time...slowly!

You could also try to do the same thing by putting the drill bit up against the magnet itself but just remember that the bit has a pointed tip and you need to put the magnet where the point stops and the straight part of the shank starts or the magnet will sit too high.

On a side note, there are no drilling emojis to add to this post. There are, believe it or not, emojis for cinnamon, clove, ginger, nutmeg and pepper (but no salt). He BGG Admin, how about a drill emoji????
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin .
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my problem was that I was trying to leave a little room for the glue in the bottom of the hole, and I left too much. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fortheloveofdice
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Test fit and use another magnet (can be a majorly stronger one) to pull it out again?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin .
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fortheloveofdice wrote:
Test fit and use another magnet (can be a majorly stronger one) to pull it out again?

Yeah, but you can't test fit with superglue. No time. wow I test fitted without glue, I just misjudged how much space the glue would take (I'd had issues with the push-fit space marines where you had to trim the parts to make room for glue, so I over compensated...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been making out like a bandit lately. I've found some killer deals on static grass and flock, after bankrupting my supplies for that graveyard scenery.

I think I paid about 3 dollars for AP battlefield grass. Just some fluke shit on amazon. I got a lieutenant pack for Descent usually 9 dollars for 3 bucks too.

Should be painting my Sedition wars terrain pack this coming week for our every other week Savage Worlds campaign. First thing I've bought explicitly for RPG scenery. Stay tuned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin .
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:
I've been making out like a bandit lately. I've found some killer deals on static grass and flock, after bankrupting my supplies for that graveyard scenery.

I think I paid about 3 dollars for AP battlefield grass. Just some fluke shit on amazon. I got a lieutenant pack for Descent usually 9 dollars for 3 bucks too.

Should be painting my Sedition wars terrain pack this coming week for our every other week Savage Worlds campaign. First thing I've bought explicitly for RPG scenery. Stay tuned.

That's awesome! Yeah, once you get the sense of the things you like to use routinely, with patience you can just wait for them to go on sale sometimes (though not everything is like this).

Descent doesn't really do it for me, but in that insane Miniature Market sale a little while back, I got a bunch of Wrath of Kings minis for way cheap that I can't wait to dig into, as well as some sci fi terrain.

I've been basing Warcry models tonight - it's borderline "terrain" with how aggressive I've been with the skulls and boulders on the bases. I have to say - construction sand is amazing (at least the bag I got at Lowes), in that it has dramatically differing sizes of stones in it, and so it's easy to pick through to find just the right sized and shaped pieces, including some quite sizable ones. I cut up some cork to make fake boulders for terrain and bases, but honestly, these have been easier. I think this weekend I'm going to head into the yard to collect some even larger stones, and clean and add them to my terrain supplies.

Alas, now my fingertips are coated in superglue, but I guess that comes with the territory. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Acetone/nail polish remover is good for removing excess super glue from fingers (speaking from lots of experience laugh ).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristin .
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agramore wrote:
Acetone/nail polish remover is good for removing excess super glue from fingers (speaking from lots of experience laugh ).

Thanks for the tip! Looks like I need to go to the drug store. (I usually just pick it off over days, but its pretty bad this time - I had to keep repositioning those skulls JUST SO...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't done many actual builds lately, but I did pick up some cork sheets too for some stone outcrops. Going to see if it's viable for some snowy outcrops, and maybe some edges to frozen sheets of ice in various stages of melting.

I might just end up using lava rocks again, and spray painting them to paint up. I've really been digging the look of painted stone lately over bare natural stone, there's more of a uniform look with everything on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI - all Fat Dragon 2-D paper terrain is now 50% off. It comes as a pdf download that your print, cut and fold.

As an example, their E-Z TERRAIN : Forest and Ruins set is $6 and contains:

• Forest Tiles including paths, streams, both 1" grid and no grid
• Modular 3D Raised ground sections with interlocking feature
• 2D Flat bushes
• 3D Bushes you can hide figures under
• Bridge
• Log cabin
• Megalith stone head (three versions)
• Stone monuments
• Coniferous Trees (complex)
• Coniferous Trees (simple)
• Deciduous Trees Green (4 styles)
• Deciduous Trees Red (4 styles)
• Deciduous Trees Yellow/Orange (4 styles)
• Full color instructions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Coon
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved this from the painting thread.

Speaking of papercraft, I setup a 3x3 playmat for Five Parsecs From Home (Second Edition) last weekend and realized I had nowhere near enough 15mm sci-fi scenery to fill the space.

I had previously seen the Tiny Solitary Soldiers blog which had some great 6"x6" modular sci-fi tiles that could be rearranged to make varying interiors.

I was thinking of this as a future project, because I wanted to get Five Parsecs played before I started another craft project. I thought I would just play a couple of outdoor maps before I created these modular tiles. But seeing my empty playmat, I reconsidered and decided to make a handful of tiles to help fill the mat.

My tiles are made from the fantastic Dave Graffam Spaceport Tiles, which are already 6x6 and have some sides that cover up foamcore. Perfect! They don't come with walls, so I'll need to photoshop some textured walls, but these make great modular 6"x6" tiles.

Here's a shot of them on the table. I'm still not happy with the coverage, so I may print a few more small buildings and two more 6"x6" floor tiles. However, I think this should be enough scenery to get me playing this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  22 , 23 , 24 , 25 , 26  Next »  [26] |