Canada
Windsor
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Unapologetic Continual Troublemaker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Terrain for miniatures game?
For cheap rocks, a bag of lava rocks from the hardware store work great for scatter terrain. On the plus side, you can use the rest in your bbq!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people use foam (like the rigid foam used for home insulation in some areas) for making hills. If you can get it in your area it's usually carried in hardware stores/DIY stores. Generally comes in big sheets (4' x 8' I think). Can be cut with a sharp knife (which it will dull quickly) or better yet, with a hot-wire foam cutter. One sheet should be enough to make a good few hills. You can stack pieces to make taller hills. And you can keep it pretty simple, just cut shapes and paint them (but be careful with spray paints - most contain solvents that will melt foam. I'd recommend cheap craft paints and brushes.). Or you can go further and do more shaping, add flock, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks awesome! Sorry you got the wrong item. I've ordered four buildings with no problem yet.

I even have fun putting them together. These are a great value!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a setup I'm playing around with to see how it'll look with Rangers of Shadowdeep.

Buildings: Clever Paper
Cobble Stone Road: Department 56 (https://www.amazon.com/Department-56-Accessories-Cobblestone...)
Minis: Mciddle Earth Strategy Battle Game
Horses: Craft store cheapies
Bridge: Escape from Goblin Town Terrain
River: Stratagem
Trees: Craft store and Citadel Wood
Stone, Barrel, and Chests: Homemade

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shaud
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
Shop at GameSurplus.com
badge
Shop at GameSurplus.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This time of year you can pick up stuff on sale at craft stores like Michael’s as they have scenery and accessories for Christmas villages. I just got some fencing and some brick and cobblestone streets on sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Lorenthia is gone, The Shadow Deep has swallowed it whole.
badge
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space. Space monkey! Ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing!" -Tyler Durden
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like I am going to the hardware store, Micheals and Jo-ann Fabrics today.

My wife is going to kill me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
"Like a monkey, ready to be shot into space. Space monkey! Ready to sacrifice himself for the greater good. Without pain, without sacrifice, we would have nothing!" -Tyler Durden
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
For cheap rocks, a bag of lava rocks from the hardware store work great for scatter terrain. On the plus side, you can use the rest in your bbq!

I grabbed some rocks from our garden, and pebbles from our long dead bonsai tree gardens. I'll keep lava rocks in mind.

usfbrown wrote:
Here's a setup I'm playing around with to see how it'll look with Rangers of Shadowdeep.

Buildings: Clever Paper
Cobble Stone Road: Department 56 (https://www.amazon.com/Department-56-Accessories-Cobblestone...)
Minis: Mciddle Earth Strategy Battle Game
Horses: Craft store cheapies
Bridge: Escape from Goblin Town Terrain
River: Stratagem
Trees: Craft store and Citadel Wood
Stone, Barrel, and Chests: Homemade

This is a seriously impressive setup. I can't wait until I've been doing this long enough to field scenery like that. Looks like so much fun. I'll post pics of mine when I manage to get everything together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
A lot of people use foam (like the rigid foam used for home insulation in some areas) for making hills.

You can also buy them on e-Bay if you are lazy, like me. I bought a large box of these for Fallout: Wasteland Warfare. They come in different colors, ranging from $10-$50.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Here were some I bought earlier in a Frostgrave session. I got a box of dark grey ones and applied some white dry brush for the snow.

By the way, the purple line is from an Army Painter Target Lock Laser Line, and it's fantastic for determining line of sight. You can get them on Amazon or from hobby sites for about $8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a cool idea for the laser!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kuhns, party of four!
United States
Muncy
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
...the grey rain-curtain turned all to silver glass and was rolled back, and he beheld white shores and beyond them a far green country under a swift sunrise.
mbmbmbmbmb
kevinruns262 wrote:
This time of year you can pick up stuff on sale at craft stores like Michael’s as they have scenery and accessories for Christmas villages. I just got some fencing and some brick and cobblestone streets on sale.

That could make for some interesting scenarios! Oh no! Christmas town is under attack!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those hills are awesome Paul.

Going to mix one of the smaller packs in with some of the terrain I crafted today super cheap for the barren scenario in Rangers. Should work fine for some desert maps in FUBAR and when I get fallout too.

I was impressed by how this turned out. Fairy Garden Moss is good for more foresty type terrain too. Check this bush I made today.

One final shot to update all you following along on my progress so far with this: I have a few more things coming tomorrow and this week too. So far all together all this stuff has been super cheap. Obviously, the plastic stuff that has yet to come was more on the expensive side, but still reasonable thanks to all you folks.

I'm almost to where I want to be to start rangers. Should be good for another few games by the time we are done here lol. I'm crafting some 1x1 foot tiles laminated construction paper. Brown one side for desert/dungeon/wastes, green on the other for swamp/ forest. I'll post a shot once I have those done.

At some point, I'm going to need to finish the rulebook for Rangers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M N
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
You must unlearn what you have learned...because the next expansion or errata might just change the rules!
badge
The task is, not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees
mbmbmbmbmb
MadMihi wrote:
I recently discovered Luke Towan on YouTube. He's often referred to as the Bob Ross of dioramas and I concur.
Check out his stuff at https://www.bouldercreekrailroad.com to get an idea of what is possible at the high end of terrain crafting.

I don't know if I ever try to build something like that but just watching him do his thing is a lot of fun. meeple

Also don't be intimated by Luke's work. Instead follow Rev's advice and build up your terrain slowly and get playing quickly.

I thought you were referring to Luke's APS (Affordable Paint Service) on Youtube. He's got a lot of good scratch build stuff geared towards wargaming. This fella, Luke Towan, seems to have a lot of good stuff as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI - Osprey has some free downloadable scenery on its site. The dungeon tiles might come in handy.

https://ospreypublishing.com/gaming-resources-frostgrave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Going to grab like 25 of those 6"x6" for 2.5 foot tables indoors. Or maybe 27 so I have enough for 1.5' x 3 tables for that one. Wonder what UPS store would charge.

Edit: Maybe not. I have downloaded them. I might see if I can find a cheaper option for now. I remember the last 5 pages of cardstock color pages at USPS being around a dollar a piece. That would add up quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Chester
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For trees I recently picked up a bag of mini trees from Wal-Mart. About 8 dollars for 16 assorted sizes. I then spray painted them olive drab with a matte camo brand of paint. Dry brushed the base with a light brown and the matte varnish with a rattle can. They look pretty good and only cost about 16 dollars. You could also flock them with fine grade flock and some spray glue. I used an old spice container to sprinkle the flock on my trees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What section at Walmart were the trees in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a few pines today by the Christmas Village stuff. They are like bottle-brushes in green with some white 'snow' on them. Most of them looked pretty poor but I found a few I liked.

0.88 for the smallest ones (I think 3"?)
$1 for the 4"

Didn't check the larger ones. They only had 3 small ones and one 4" in the style I liked - so I grabbed them for Frostgrave or any snowy scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Masterhit wrote:
I got a few pines today by the Christmas Village stuff. They are like bottle-brushes in green with some white 'snow' on them. Most of them looked pretty poor but I found a few I liked.

0.88 for the smallest ones (I think 3"?)
$1 for the 4"

Didn't check the larger ones. They only had 3 small ones and one 4" in the style I liked - so I grabbed them for Frostgrave or any snowy scenarios.

Pics? What store were they from?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also check places like dollar stores and craft stores (especially if you can get coupons). You never know what treasures/useful items for terrain you might find. This time of year you will probably find some Christmas-y stuff.

I like to build stuff myself, such as these buildings I made from foamcore and cardstock using my own ideas/design. Made modular so I can mix and match and create different configurations. (currently in use as the village under my Christmas tree.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are from Walmart in the Christmas area with the Christmas Village stuff.

I'll try and get a picture up - I think they show on their website but in an assorted bag.

Shown here with various minis of 1/72 scale up to 32mm

Also I was wrong about the sizes - there are 3x4" and 1x6" tree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
agramore wrote:
I would also check places like dollar stores and craft stores (especially if you can get coupons). You never know what treasures/useful items for terrain you might find. This time of year you will probably find some Christmas-y stuff.

I like to build stuff myself, such as these buildings I made from foamcore and cardstock using my own ideas/design. Made modular so I can mix and match and create different configurations. (currently in use as the village under my Christmas tree.)

I need more buildings that open. Those are some cool designs. I may try something similar. Between this and Jay's suggestion of foamcore tiles, I think I need to get some foam core and adhesive spray. I could even glue some of these paper stock building designs to foam core to make them sturdier. I have a various few ones that open up to show the inside too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just like that, I am finished with the rulebook for Rangers of Shadow Deep All 90 pages to get to the beginner missions. Expect an AAR this weekend barring all disaster. I definitely have everything I need (but not everything I want) for the first 2-3 scenarios.

Trial setup/ inventory and shot, courtesy of my lovely wife. Repost from SGoYT Entry.

WOOT!

The only difference from shown might be a forest green yard of fabric as a playing surface. Some of y'all were part of that conversation on my SGoYT entry and know I'm not 100% thrilled with the way my construction paper tiles turned out.

I'm real excited Ya'll. I may be posting in this thread again as I run into terrain needs in the future. Feel free anyone else to do the same.

There is also a terrain thread that has popped up in the game's actual forums as well if any future people are looking.

RoSD Terrain Resource Thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ogoctopus wrote:
There is also a terrain thread that has popped up in the game's actual forums as well if any future people are looking.

RoSD Terrain Resource Thread

I was wondering why I hadn't seen this, since I thought I was subscribed to the game, and now I see it's on BGG. A far more logical place for it (I think I said so on RPGG) but for anyone else currently subscribed to the game in RPGG or who has that marked as owned in their collection, it might be worth noting that although they've added this here it doesn't seem to be mirrored in the same way that Legacy of Dragonholt is, so you'll need to add it to your collection separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Aceto
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That windmill looks great.