Subject: Stunning monsters/killing killable monsters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Roddy
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are monsters stunned* when they take any (1 or more damage) from an attack, or must they suffer enough damage to lower a stat to zero?

Rulebook p15: "Monsters are not killed when you defeat them, only stunned, unless a haunt specifies otherwise."

Does "defeat them" mean "outroll them in one attack?"

*And for monsters that can be killed, would one damage kill them, unless superseded by a specific haunt rule?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
If a monster takes any damage, they are stunned unless the haunt says they are killed, in which case any amount of damage kills them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter G
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook p20: Most monsters can't be killed. If a monster should take damage, it is stunned instead

Based on this rule, I can only assume that 'defeat' means "win (out-roll them in) one attack"

What he said haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steeve Leonard
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've played 3 Haunts so far.

How do you actually calculate damage dealt to monsters?

In this example:

Let's say my Potato-Monster has MIGHT 2, SPEED 2...

* I attack a player with 2 dice... and get a total of 1 pip.
* The player defends (with his Might dice) and gets 2 pips.
-> That's now 1 damage toward my Potato-Monster.

But, as mentioned above, this particular Monster has (M2, S2, i.e: two PHYSICAL traits). Does that make his health 2+2 = 4 ? If so, you're saying that the 1 damage I just got dealt actually kills this monster?

Also......... a SPEED related question:
The rules say to make a Speed roll to determine all Monsters' speed, but, the Traitor's book says that my Potato-Monster has "SPEED 2". So..... what now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
You roll dice equal to the speed trait, 2 for your potato-monsters, and the result is the amount of moves each of your monsters of that type have.

You would not need to distribute any damage. The potato-monster that attacked and was beaten is now dead or stunned depending on the haunt.

In response to edit: Remember the trait number does not necessarily correlate with how far from dead the monster/hero/traitor is, it is simply the number of dice to be rolled for that trait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Steeveleo wrote:
We've played 3 Haunts so far.

How do you actually calculate damage dealt to monsters?

In this example:

Let's say my Potato-Monster has MIGHT 2, SPEED 2...

* I attack a player with 2 dice... and get 3 pips.
* The player defends (with his Might dice) and gets 6 pips.
-> That's now 3 damage toward my Potato-Monster.

But how do I distribute the damage? And how do I keep track of all the hit points dealt to my whole army of Potato-Monsters?

You don't need to allocate damage at all. If a monster takes any damage, they are stunned. It doesn't matter if they took 1 damage or 20. They don't lose traits, they just lose a turn.

Quote:
Also......... a SPEED related question:
The rules say to make a Speed roll to determine all Monsters' speed, but, the Traitor's book says that my Potato-Monster has "SPEED 2". So..... what now?

You make a roll to determine a monster's moves, using its speed. If a monster has a speed 2, it will have from 1 to 4 moves (it always gets one move, even it rolls a 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steeve Leonard
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn that was fast!
Big love to BGG and to you, Rob Daviau!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blah blahblah
msg tools
If players are attacking a stunned monsters for.... reasons, does that monster still roll a might attack against them, as in normal combat? And if the monster rolls higher, will it do damage to the players? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
Japan
Okazaki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kpittard1 wrote:
If players are attacking a stunned monsters for.... reasons, does that monster still roll a might attack against them, as in normal combat? And if the monster rolls higher, will it do damage to the players? Thanks!

This is kinda old, but from of page 15 of the rulebook, “you can attack a stunned monster. Stunned monsters still roll dice to defend, but an attacking hero who loses an attack against a stunned monster takes no damage.”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danylo Smirnov
Ukraine
Lviv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bride has Sanity and Speed. Hero attacks the Bride with Might. Traitor says "your attack failed because monster doesn't have Might".

Questions:

1. Does any side roll dice at all in this case?
2. Must Traitor then say "Monster doesn't have Might, but it has Sanity" or Hero should try all the Traits for attack and finally guess that Sanity should be used to stun Monster? I mean, where is the "MAY" and where is the "MUST" here?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither side rolls dice in this case. The hero can then ask the traitor to read everything in the Bride box. Basically, by trying to attack her, you learn information about her.

Same thing if she attacks the hero.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danylo Smirnov
Ukraine
Lviv
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RobDaviau wrote:
Neither side rolls dice in this case. The hero can then ask the traitor to read everything in the Bride box. Basically, by trying to attack her, you learn information about her.

Same thing if she attacks the hero.

Thank you very much, Rob!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.