Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Morency
United States
Waterford
Michigan
flag msg tools
Spoiler (click to reveal)
It says "you become the traitor or die if you go outside". Well you can only become the traitor if the haunt is started, so if the haunt hasn't started and you have a curse and you go outside you just die? If there is already a traitor, are you now both a traitor, or does the original traitor become a normal player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainman001 wrote:
It says "you become the traitor or die if you go outside". Well you can only become the traitor if the haunt is started, so if the haunt hasn't started and you have a curse and you go outside you just die? If there is already a traitor, are you now both a traitor, or does the original traitor become a normal player?

Ah, I figured it out. It's a problem with the English language. The curse cards read: "TO GET RID OF IT: If you end your turn in the outside region, become the traitor, or die, BURY this card."

This is list three different ways to get rid of it:

"TO GET RID OF IT:
End your turn in the outside region
Become the traitor
Die

(If any one of those three things happen) BURY this card."

You are reading as a consequence of being outside:

"If you end your turn in the outside region, (do one of the two following things): Become the traitor OR Die."

Stupid English. No one interpreted it the second way until now, although it is a perfectly valid way to parse the sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: switching up families, I haven't started yet, but if we do end up with 6 players for this 5-player game, my solution is going to be rotating the player who sits out each game (so everybody sits out roughly twice) and I'll be the "black sheep" who plays every family. Everybody else gets a dedicated family, but I'll play the family of the player sitting out when I am playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Klein
United States
Brighton
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If something tells you to draw and place a tile, does that count as discovering it (i.e., do you resolve the symbols on the new tile)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thornn wrote:
If something tells you to draw and place a tile, does that count as discovering it (i.e., do you resolve the symbols on the new tile)?

Yes. Do the same thing no matter how you discovered it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kate J
msg tools
Hey, I have a fresh copy and intend to play through the campaign with 4 players. I'm wondering if there's some mechanic or instruction at the end of it to use up the extra family's stickers so that they aren't punished in free play for having missed the story. I don't want to know what happens, I just want to know if intending to do free play with 5 people after doing the campaign with 4 warrants me trying to find a 5th player for the campaign.

The manual and sample haunt are so well written that I think it's something they'd've considered, but I want to know for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Scott
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meemitone wrote:
Hey, I have a fresh copy and intend to play through the campaign with 4 players. I'm wondering if there's some mechanic or instruction at the end of it to use up the extra family's stickers so that they aren't punished in free play for having missed the story. I don't want to know what happens, I just want to know if intending to do free play with 5 people after doing the campaign with 4 warrants me trying to find a 5th player for the campaign.

Page 21 of the rules:

Quote:
If a family has missed MORE than half of the played chapters, give them three random Items after step 7 of setup and have them keep one. Shuffle the other two back into the Item deck. The player may heirloom this item if it has a slot available, following usual heirloom rules, except this does NOT count toward the once-per-game limit on making heirlooms.

While this rule is for joining a campaign part way through, I think you could do the same the first time a family joins in free play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Ratz

Tuscaloosa
Alabama
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not my copy so I don't have (updated, through Chapter 3) rules in front of me, but I have a question about something that was introduced in Chapter 2.

So, inhabitants. If an inhabitant is introduced in a chapter and nothing happens to them in the course of the haunt (say, Heathcliff appears in Chapter 3), then is he part of setup for chapter 4? What about the inhabitants from chapter 2, assuming that nothing tragic happened to them in the Chapter 2 Haunt? We didn't play with them in Chapter 3, but I wonder if Heathcliff will be around for the next section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is probably a stupid question, but what information if made public when a haunt is revealed? The rulebook says:

Quote:
PUBLIC INFORMATION
At the start of each haunt (in both books) are two pieces of information that all sides should hear (the heroes and traitor should hear this starting information in the other book).

First, thematic entries tell you the story of what is happening. The last italicized paragraph starts “I/We know this/these things to be true:” followed by one to three statements. These are hints about
what the other side is up to
. They may be vague, but they are true.

Setup: You might have to put tokens on certain tiles, or adjust traits, or find a tile that hasn’t been placed yet. If there’s nothing for your side to do, this part will say “None!” Players should do setup together so everyone can see what is being put into play.

What are the "two pieces of information that all sides should hear?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapter, 5 or 6

The haunt references the portal being placed on a tile with a certain characteristic (if available) or the portal is not ‘discovered’ yet. But one of the set-up tiles has that characteristic.

Is this a hedge for some other effect that could remove the tile from the house prior to the haunt (just a note for later non-campaign play) or is there some way the portal may not be discovered already when the haunt triggers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took it to mean:
1)The thematic paragraph with “we know these things to be true...”
And
2) set-up details

Edit: referencing the “2 pieces of information “.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
I took it to mean:
1)The thematic paragraph with “we know these things to be true...”
And
2) set-up details

Edit: referencing the “2 pieces of information “.

So only the "We/I know this to be true"... and now the whole flavor text paragraph that precedes it?

And which part of set up? Word for word what is written? Or just what can be seen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JPRatz wrote:
It's not my copy so I don't have (updated, through Chapter 3) rules in front of me, but I have a question about something that was introduced in Chapter 2.

So, inhabitants. If an inhabitant is introduced in a chapter and nothing happens to them in the course of the haunt (say, Heathcliff appears in Chapter 3), then is he part of setup for chapter 4? What about the inhabitants from chapter 2, assuming that nothing tragic happened to them in the Chapter 2 Haunt? We didn't play with them in Chapter 3, but I wonder if Heathcliff will be around for the next section.

Like any cards that are added to the game, they stay in play for the next game if they don't get destroyed/tombed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
Chapter, 5 or 6

The haunt references the portal being placed on a tile with a certain characteristic (if available) or the portal is not ‘discovered’ yet. But one of the set-up tiles has that characteristic.

Is this a hedge for some other effect that could remove the tile from the house prior to the haunt (just a note for later non-campaign play) or is there some way the portal may not be discovered already when the haunt triggers?

I would assume that's mostly for freeplay, where you aren't guaranteed to have a tile like that in play already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
JPRatz wrote:

Like any cards that are added to the game, they stay in play for the next game if they don't get destroyed/tombed.

Further question about setup:

The rules set to put them facedown and reveal the card once the inhabitant is found. This this true in future games with the same inhabitant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
cornjob wrote:
Chapter, 5 or 6

I would assume that's mostly for freeplay, where you aren't guaranteed to have a tile like that in play already.

why would you not be guaranteed to have that tile in play, it’s specifically part of the set-up? It sounds like you’re speculating without reading the haunt I’m referring to. I’m curious if it’s an error or we misunderstood something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:

why would you not be guaranteed to have that tile in play, it’s specifically part of the set-up? It sounds like you’re speculating without reading the haunt I’m referring to. I’m curious if it’s an error or we misunderstood something.

Haunt 35 or 44? Those both say "an Item tile in the basement," and the Basement Landing doesn't qualify. I forget if there were instructions in the legacy deck or bleak journal to add a relevant room, but those instructions probably wouldn't happen in free play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
cornjob wrote:

Haunt 35 or 44? Those both say "an Item tile in the basement," and the Basement Landing doesn't qualify. I forget if there were instructions in the legacy deck or bleak journal to add a relevant room, but those instructions probably wouldn't happen in free play.

Sorry, don’t recall the haunt number and don’t have the game at hand. But one of the set-up tiles met the condition required, so I couldn’t understand when there would be a situation where the condition was not met.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rees
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Posting this about Haunt 37 in case it trips anyone else up when they get to it

From Secrets of Survival:
Quote:
The Berserker never lowers traits and can be damaged only by an ATTACK from a Weapon or by a Trap. If they would take lose any amount from a trait for any reason, they instead move the Blood token down 1 space on the track, no matter how much damage is dealt.

From the Traitors Tome:
Quote:
You take damage only from a Trap or from an attack with a Weapon

You don't lower traits for any reason. If you would take damage, instead move the Blood Token down 1 space on the track.

We felt like the Traitor's Tome was more explicit and easier to read. I think the second sentence from Secrets of Survival should be clarified because it says "any reason", but then later clarifies that the reason must be "damage" when it says "no matter how much damage is dealt," plus the statement is contradictory with the Traitor's Tome:
- You don't lower traits for any reason
- If they would take lose any amount from a trait for any reason

The Secrets of Survival should probably just say
"If they would take damage, they instead move the Blood Token down 1 space on the track, regardless of how much damage is dealt"

Also, we just wanted to call out the "take lose" in the sentence as a typo so that it can hopefully be fixed in future printings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Moran
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Question about the box under the tray and the tomb.

So my playgroup finished chapter 8 and it told us to put the current player figures in the Tomb, then at the beginning of chapter 9 we were told to get new ones out of the box under the tray.

My question is how are we supposed to store them, since the old figures don't all fit in the plastic insert in the box where the new figures were. Also I was not able to fit all of the new figures in the insert for figures in the tray. Since the insert in the box and the one in the tray are not the same I can't just swap the inserts. Are we intended to put the figures in the box and tray without an insert?

Also all of the new figures' bases seemed to be fairly warped, after some pressure I've mostly un-warped them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapter 5 questions

1. When you discover the Groundskeeper and have no items, do you take 1 mental damage or do nothing.

2. When the basement is collapsing, does the portal or landing collapse last? If the landing, what happens when the portal collapses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Filpus
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
Chapter 5 questions

1. When you discover the Groundskeeper and have no items, do you take 1 mental damage or do nothing.

Quote:
2. When the basement is collapsing, does the portal or landing collapse last? If the landing, what happens when the portal collapses?

That sounds specific to one of the haunts in that chapter. What's the haunt number?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wasserman
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
Xtermanator wrote:
Question about the box under the tray and the tomb.

So my playgroup finished chapter 8 and it told us to put the current player figures in the Tomb, then at the beginning of chapter 9 we were told to get new ones out of the box under the tray.

My question is how are we supposed to store them, since the old figures don't all fit in the plastic insert in the box where the new figures were. Also I was not able to fit all of the new figures in the insert for figures in the tray. Since the insert in the box and the one in the tray are not the same I can't just swap the inserts. Are we intended to put the figures in the box and tray without an insert?

Also all of the new figures' bases seemed to be fairly warped, after some pressure I've mostly un-warped them.

Our group just put the new set of figures, with their plastic, in the long tray, on top of our remaining tile sheets and landing tiles. They seemed to fit fine. We also decided to mix and match the two sets of characters, as we felt a handful of the old characters still worked fine in the later time periods, depending on the background of the character in question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
GregF wrote:
Dormammu wrote:
Chapter 5 questions

The thread you link doesn’t answer the question the way you have. It’s a somewhat different question (which answer I had assumed already).

I know you encounter the inhabitant regardless, I’m just not sure how to resolve “lose an item or take 1 damage” when you have no item. Either interpretation is equally valid from the minimal wording.

Quote:

That sounds specific to one of the haunts in that chapter. What's the haunt number?[/q]
Right you are. I’ll bave to check this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Buck
msg tools
Dormammu wrote:

Assuming this is haunt #44, Gaze at the Abyss...

The portal should never be on the landing tile. The haunt tells you to collapse non-landing tiles until you collapse the tile with the portal on it, meaning that if you get all the way to the end of the game, the tile with the portal on it will be forced to collapse before the basement landing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.