Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gjertsen wrote:
aeigiven wrote:

Can I use weapons while defending against an attack?
No. Your weapon likely specifies that its effects only apply when you are performing the ATTACK action.

But if being attacked with (or without a weapon), the defender still rolls a defense roll in the trait relevant to the weapon (or lack of weapon) he's being attacked with. The more confusing issue to me is if the defender can deal damage if the defense roll is higher on a ranged attack. I don't think the rules specify that he/she can't.

The rules specify that if you attack with a ranged weapon you can't get hurt by the defender, unless you are on the same tile. This is true of all versions of Betrayal.

On p15

Quote:
Players can make line of sight attacks if an effect or Weapon says so. If your target is on a different tile than yours, you take no damage if you lose the combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Hall
United States
South Salt Lake
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chapter 5/6 transition haunt 48 entry 60
Spoiler (click to reveal)
After the end of chapter 5, we put down the chasm after reading entry 60.
It says we can explore the other worlds. There have been no new cards added and the entry doesn't tell us to read the next set of cards, so do we skip these cards and move onto chapter 6? We're confused and don't want to look at cards before we're supposed to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El A
msg tools
mbmbmb
Jacob, I believe you may have missed a step or two in cleanup after entry 60. Specifically, the first two instructions, which are to:

Open Door 4 from the Folium Infernium and place the appropriate sticker, and
Turn over the next card in the Legacy deck and follow its directions (that SHOULD be card L60, which was right after the Hand Mirror). That should give you the information you need to continue.
If those two steps were missed, I would probably go ahead and double check that all the steps from entry 60 were followed, just to be safe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Hall
United States
South Salt Lake
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Found them, thanks. I don't know how I missed them on multiple re reads. Now I feel dumb. XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Colwell

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This involves Haunt 4.

Haunt 4 (Shoggoth), encountered in Chapter 10.

SCENARIO:
I (A) was the traitor, not yet exposed.
Another player (B) said, essentially, "B moves to the tile where A is at and ATTACKs A."
I revealed myself as the traitor and said that I now get to trigger the effects of the reveal before the attack.
The other player insisted that he got to resolve the attack first.

The contention comes down to the phrase in the haunt: "The traitor can reveal himself AT ANY TIME."

We ended up taking a group vote: a 3-2 decision to allow me to be revealed and resolve all effects triggered by the reveal before B's attack.

What is the correct resolution for "AT ANY TIME"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El A
msg tools
mbmbmb
With regards to Haunt 4:

It certainly seems to me that your reading is how I would have interpreted it. Nothing in the rules states that actions such as attacks are uninterruptable, and if it didn't want to allow situations like that, I believe it would have used other wording to indicate when you could use that power (like 'at the beginning of a player's turn, which is used elsewhere within the game text).

In disclosure, I think our group would probably have allowed the attack to be aborted at that time, even though a strict reading doesn't seem to allow that, but...the joys of having some rules be a bit flexible/interpretable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Colwell

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sea_1985 wrote:
With regards to Haunt 4:

It certainly seems to me that your reading is how I would have interpreted it. Nothing in the rules states that actions such as attacks are uninterruptable, and if it didn't want to allow situations like that, I believe it would have used other wording to indicate when you could use that power (like 'at the beginning of a player's turn, which is used elsewhere within the game text).

In disclosure, I think our group would probably have allowed the attack to be aborted at that time, even though a strict reading doesn't seem to allow that, but...the joys of having some rules be a bit flexible/interpretable.

We were fine with having the attack aborted, as well (my intention was to reveal as traitor once he entered the tile, since he and another player were talking out loud about attacking me, but he stated his turn in one big lump). He did it anyway, and he still managed to succeed, but I took much less damage because of the +6 Might boost I'd gotten from the obstacle-dump benefit in the reveal).

Our Magic: The Gathering experience was coming into full swing, as we were talking about loading the stack and whether this was an instant or an interrupt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.