Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
If you are reading this you have probably played the game more than me.

My friend and I are under the impression that if you draw 3+ scoring cards in one turn you are generally screwed. That is 3 turns you must play 0 Op points and have little control over the game that turn.

I had two different ideas for house rules.

1 - A player can reveal 3+ scoring cards to declare a mulligan. Both players return all new cards, reshuffle the deck and re deal.

2 - You only are required to play 1 Scoring card per turn (if you have any). After that, other scoring cards can be saved until next turn. Im not sure, but likely Id say you could not use this rule on the last turn of Early, Mid or Late.

Thoughts? Breaks the game?

Wakrob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had four once and managed to win the game.

That being said, you play as you want. If the mentionned situation is breaking the fun out of you two, than I would say option 1 seems like the best way to go.
Just be sure not to reshuffle the discard pile as this would certainly break the game.

Edit #1: Be sure to set the held card(s) aside before looking your new hands.
Otherwise this could introduce to some "accidental" cheating.

Edit #2: Option 2 is certainly breaking the game. If this happens before a reshuffle, two scoring cards will be sent to the discard and could likely never come back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
CptBlood wrote:
If you are reading this you have probably played the game more than me.

My friend and I are under the impression that if you draw 3+ scoring cards in one turn you are generally screwed.
I disagree with the premise. It hurts, sure, but it's not a deal breaker. Honestly, if you're concerned with this, you should probably remove other things that make you feel screwed, like rolling 1s on all your coups, or rolling a 5 7 times trying to escape Bear trap, or being the USSR on turn 3 with CIA Created and Duck & Cover, and the US headlines Red Purge, or ...

Quote:
1 - A player can reveal 3+ scoring cards to declare a mulligan. Both players return all new cards, reshuffle the deck and re deal.
This is broken. You'd find out information that you shouldn't know -- 14 cards that are not your opponent's held card.

Quote:
2 - You only are required to play 1 Scoring card per turn (if you have any). After that, other scoring cards can be saved until next turn. Im not sure, but likely Id say you could not use this rule on the last turn of Early, Mid or Late.
This is broken on many levels. Saving a scoring card until next turn would mean not only does that card count as a no-op play this turn, but also next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CptBlood wrote:
Quote:
This is broken. You'd find out information that you shouldn't know -- 14 cards that are not your opponent's held card.

I certainly agree but this information does not mean much to beginners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Thorp
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
“or rolling a 5 7 times trying to escape Bear trap“

Well, we play that your third roll is an auto-success, because we feel that at our experience level, 3+ failures leads to an unsatisfying game for both players. It’s a game- you have to make it fun, right?

Similarly, if the OP and his regular opponent feel that 3+ scoring cards make for an unsatisfying game rather than a challenging one, I think they should address it.

Agree with Alex that option #1 is the vastly superior of the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King in Green
Japan
flag msg tools
mb
Scoring cards aren't always bad. The last time I drew 3 scoring cards as the US T1 I ended the turn on +8VP. The last time I drew 4 in a turn it saved the game for me. So while they can be a tempo hit the worst scenario is when your opponent knows you have several - like when the deck is running out of cards on T3 or T7 or via events like Cambridge 5, Aldrich Ames etc. etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Tolman
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CptBlood wrote:

I had two different ideas for house rules.

Thoughts? Breaks the game?

Wakrob

I agree with most here that #2 is probably the worst option. Option 1 doesn't seem that bad to me, but keeping Jay's comments in mind, I would suggest that one person just show the 3 scoring cards but NONE of the rest of the hand. The other player does not show any cards in the hand. Then you reshuffle only the relevant cards depending on where you are in the game (early war, mid war, etc.) and redraw. This minimizes any shared information about other cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls