Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Romano
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all,

I just finished reading the rules for our first game later this week. I am a little confused on something under the Moving rule on page 9.

The line I'm questioning is "No matter how many penalties you have on your turn or how many obstacles you face, you can always move to a tile adjacent to where you started."

Does that imply that if for some reason you have no movement available due to some effect you are still allowed to move to an adjacent tile, disregarding the extra costs for obstacles and monsters?

My follow up to that is when does the extra movement costs apply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Urso McDaniel
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, essentially you are never trapped (unless a game event specifically says so) on the location you started.

The most common source of extra move costs are small and large obstacles. Those are applied when leaving the tile they are on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Romano
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chadm wrote:

The most common source of extra move costs are small and large obstacles. Those are applied when leaving the tile they are on.

So let me make sure I understand correctly. If I'm on a tile and it has any number of various obstacles on it and my Movement is lowered to zero, on my turn I can still leave that tile for an adjacent one? Not an undiscovered one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think an undiscovered one would be OK as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse White
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
I was going to make a topic about movement today but figured I could just ask my questions in here. We are on Chapter 3 and want to make sure we're playing correctly.

To clarify:
A player starts their turn with moves equal to their current speed, correct?

So if a monster has a speed of 6, they don't automatically move 6. They roll 6 dice to see how many they can move? So they could potentially even move 0-12 spaces depending on the roll?

Lastly, how does inhabitant movement work? The
Spoiler (click to reveal)
cat
in chapter 3 had special text that was easy to understand, but for the other inhabitants,
like the cook,
are they just granted a number of moves equal to their speed like heroes? Or do they roll like monsters?

Thanks in advance for any clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesse13713 wrote:
I was going to make a topic about movement today but figured I could just ask my questions in here. We are on Chapter 3 and want to make sure we're playing correctly.

To clarify:
A player starts their turn with moves equal to their current speed, correct?

So if a monster has a speed of 6, they don't automatically move 6. They roll 6 dice to see how many they can move? So they could potentially even move 0-12 spaces depending on the roll?

Largely correct. If a monster rolls 0 for its move, it still gets 1 move.

Quote:
Lastly, how does inhabitant movement work? The
cat
in chapter 3 had special text that was easy to understand, but for the other inhabitants,
like the cook,
are they just granted a number of moves equal to their speed like heroes? Or do they roll like monsters?

Thanks in advance for any clarity.

Inhabitants don't move unless a haunt or effect moves them (or a new tile is discovered with their image). They have a Speed trait in case someone wants to shoot them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Pearson
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
Loves Theme
badge
Des Moines Area Boardgamer
mbmbmbmbmb
therion110 wrote:
chadm wrote:

So let me make sure I understand correctly. If I'm on a tile and it has any number of various obstacles on it and my Movement is lowered to zero, on my turn I can still leave that tile for an adjacent one? Not an undiscovered one?

I would imagine you can't move if say you start on a square that has one of those actions on it where you could roll and lose all your movement? Or can you start on one of those tiles - attempt the roll - and still get to move at least 1 for the turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse White
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks Rob! I really appreciate that you are answering questions here. I tend to get hung up on rules and it's hard for me to proceed without knowing the intended way to play. Would you be able to shed some light on one other question?

In the Chapter 3 poppet haunt when the traitor is controlling the dolls, we were a little confused on how many moves were legal. So if the monster, or all dolls, got 4 moves, could you split those 4 up between different pacts of dolls? Or is it limited to once you select a pair you are stuck just moving that one pair for that round?

Also, if a group of 3 dolls moved through a group of 2 dolls and then moved again, should those 2 dolls have merged with the group and then we would move all 5?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
repthrd wrote:
therion110 wrote:
chadm wrote:

I would imagine you can't move if say you start on a square that has one of those actions on it where you could roll and lose all your movement? Or can you start on one of those tiles - attempt the roll - and still get to move at least 1 for the turn?

In this case, you would be stuck on that tile (though it really doesn't break anything if you play it the other way by mistake).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Jesse13713 wrote:
Thanks Rob! I really appreciate that you are answering questions here. I tend to get hung up on rules and it's hard for me to proceed without knowing the intended way to play. Would you be able to shed some light on one other question?

In the Chapter 3 poppet haunt when the traitor is controlling the dolls, we were a little confused on how many moves were legal. So if the monster, or all dolls, got 4 moves, could you split those 4 up between different pacts of dolls? Or is it limited to once you select a pair you are stuck just moving that one pair for that round?

Also, if a group of 3 dolls moved through a group of 2 dolls and then moved again, should those 2 dolls have merged with the group and then we would move all 5?"

Each doll is its own monster and gets N moves at the start of the monster turn, where N is the result of their Speed roll. Dolls only pool their might, not their speed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon & Nik
msg tools
RobDaviau wrote:
Largely correct. If a monster rolls 0 for its move, it still gets 1 move.

What about a monster that doesn't have a Speed stat at all? Do they still get one move despite not having any dice to roll, or are they immobile?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a hypothetical question? I don't recall a monster with no speed stat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon & Nik
msg tools
The tentacles from Haunt #4.

They have Might 4 and no other stats, and the traitor player said they should benefit from the minimum move of 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say no they don't move. Have not played that haunt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In that haunt, they don't move at all. They are stationary limbs of a larger creature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.