Heart of Crown» Forums » General

Subject: Version and Expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Tao
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
EDIT 2: Now including an official response from Japanime!
EDIT: Mystery solved!

I've included my original message below, but I wanted to update everyone with what I've found out. Hopefully Japanime can get back to us to confirm a few other details, but here's what I've found.

There are indeed at least two printings of this game with some very major differences.

Here's the important part, if you're in store, the newer version with all the best stuff has UPC number 0703558837691. The old version has UPC 853502249813. I'm holding both in front of me, but don't have my phone on me, so pictures may have to be forthcoming.

Here's a few details of the changes between the versions, as far as I can tell:

Box
Besides the UPC code, the first thing I noticed is that the illustrations of the Princesses is on the left and right side of the box, whereas on the original box they're on the top and bottom. In addition, there are icons on the front of the box for players, time, and age. The same symbols appear on the back of the box on the top right instead of the grey box with the text in the original version

The feel of the box is different as well, it has a richer grain for the printing, so the original box feel smoother in comparison.

Speaking of which, it's worth noting that as I suspected, the cardboard boxes for expansions seem to be newer than the clam shell graphic that is still being used on Japanime's website and the KS for Fairy Garden. The photo of the Fairy Garden box that Japanime posted recently shows cardboard boxes for the new expansions though, so this is in line with their latest practices.

Dividers
The new dividers are a noticeable bit taller than the old box, and also a tiny tiny bit wider. This makes them in line with the new expansion dividers that I bought

Printing
The printing is slightly darker on the new print, it's especially noticeable if you put the randomizer cards side by side from both editions. This applies for the card backs too, so if you have an old core box and new expansions like I did, they were noticeable if you paid attention.

Cards
Going by the Japanime website's errata document, and the contents of the first print expansions, the following cards have been corrected: Flammaria, Charm Witch, Royal Purveyor, Battering Ram, Bribery, Curse Witch, Draft Notice, Glamour Witch, Imperial Estate, Rampart, Stargazing Witch. Man, that's kind of a long list huh.

So I hope that helps everyone! Now I need to figure out what to do with this old, and sort of messed up copy of the game =/

And now, a response from Japanime Games to my original email!
Japanime Games wrote:
Hi Lionel,

My apologies for the delayed response - the holidays are insane and I wanted to make sure I got a second opinion on what you were asking.

It sounds like you have a first edition of the base game and perhaps newer editions of the expansions. We do have an errata pack for the original printing of the base game that we can send out. The second printing does have some small updates to the rulebook and dividers, but an errata pack would save you from needing to use paste-ups. The first edition expansions came in clear clamshell packaging. The second edition printing came in boxes that look like this:

image.png

The second edition has the errata text corrected. If you got the expansions in the boxes, you should have these errata:

Far East Territory Cards
Far East Princess Ohka: [Activation Ability] (Banish 2 cards that do not share the same name other than Territory or Curse cards from your hand): Select 1 card from the Market with a cost exactly equal to the total costs of the cards you banished minus 1 and add it to your hand. You can use this ability once during the Main Phase of each of your turns.

Greedy Fairy: Select one of the following effects: {1 Coin} Put 1 Coin Counter in your Coin Area. This ability cannot put more than 2 Coin Counters in your Coin Area. (At any time you can remove 1 Coin Counter {1 Coin} from your Coin Area to gain 1 Coin.) OR Pick any 2 Counters you own, and remove them from the game. If you do so, pick another Counter that you own, and create a copy of it in the same location.

Confederation: Declare a Sub-Type: Each time you play cards of that Sub-Type or set them in your Domain this turn, place one “Succession Point +1” Counter on the Princess Card in your Domain. If you play two or more Confederations, you cannot declare the same Sub-Type twice to get a cumulative effect. You cannot select Main Types.

Northern Enchantress Cards

Monopoly: [Hand Activation Ability] (Banish Monopoly from your hand): Gain 3 Coins. Declare a non-Rare card name. Each opponent has to reveal all of the cards in their hand, draw pile, discard pile, and Domain. Each opponent who has the named card(s) in those areas must select 1 of them and banish it. Each opponent must then shuffle their draw pile. During your Second Phase this turn, you may buy cards banished this way as though they were in the Market.

Dwarven Jeweler: Select one of the following effects: 2 Coins OR Draw 2 Cards OR If you have played 4 cards with different names in your playing area this turn before playing this card, place 2 “Succession Point +1” Counters on the Princess Card in your Domain.

I just checked my version of these printings and they are correct, so if you received boxes and the errata is not printed, they could be bootlegs (although unlikely). If you received the clamshell first editions, we will be releasing the errata packs for those sometime in the next few months!

We're always glad to have the information out there. My production team also just released the errata paste-ups for Far East Territory and Northern Enchantress so those will be up on the resources pages by the end of the day as well!

Hopefully this helps. If not, please let me know!

Heather

And for the sake of completionism, here's the original message:

Original Message wrote:
I just picked up a copy of the base game and both expansions from different stores, and after doing a bit of research online, I'm a bit worried about printing editions, would anyone be able to help me clarify?

My copy of the base box contains various printing and rules errors, but I've come to understand that this is a known problem. I've printed out the errata on the site for the like, half dozen cards that need patches. I was willing to let that go because I understood the expansions came with patched cards.

HOWEVER both the expansions I got feel weird to me for a few reasons. Firstly, they came in (pretty nice) cardboard boxes rather than the plastic clamshell packaging I see online. The sample picture that Japanime posted of the new Fairy Garden expansions are in similar boxes, so that doesn't worry me too much.

Where it gets a little bit annoying is that the printing colour is a tiny bit darker than the base box, and the divider cards are quite a bit taller than the base box divider cards.

Most worryingly, however, they didn't come with the errata'd cards that the BGG listing and the download version of the expansion manuals all mention.

My current theory is that I'm holding an old version of the base box and a new version of the expansions? I'm wondering if there's a new version of the base box which precludes the need for the expansions to come with errata cards. Would anyone be able to confirm? I'll email Japanime with the question as well and will update if anything comes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, can't help you on this. As you said, you're better off emailing Japanime at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Biblios
Canada
flag msg tools
You can get an errata pack from Japanime, that's what I did with my base game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Tao
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
MYSTERY SOLVED, EVERYONE!

I've updated the original post with all relevant information I've found. No photos though, phone's on the fritz. Hope it helps someone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Tao
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I've updated once again with an official response from Japanime! Hopefully this post will be helpful to everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for following up on this. I couldn't find an errata pack on Japanime Games web store, but I've asked for information via the "contact us" form. Is there an email address I should be using instead?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Tao
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I just used the contact form on their site, as the person mentioned they're a little behind on their response time at the moment

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you, they got in touch and everything is awesome (or will be when I get the errata pack!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Randi
Italy
Lecco
Lombardia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cubesquared wrote:
I've updated once again with an official response from Japanime! Hopefully this post will be helpful to everyone!
I've added a new "English second edition" version of the game, with a note regarding the slightly different box exterior design (I have to upload my pictures) and the cards that now no longer have errata
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the new dividers, are they tall enough for the text to be read over the top of sleeved cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I acquired the new printing and would like to mention a few additional changes, or lack of changes, that I noticed.

The dividers were not just made taller, they were stretched. The design printed on them is now distorted to fit the larger cardboard. I assumed they would simply shift the printing up, but that is not the case.

There are no substantial changes to the rulebook. I went through, page by page, and nothing was changed. All the card images show the old card text and several grammar mistakes are not fixed. I only noted three changes. First, they alphabetized the card names in the list of pre-made sets. Second, the credits changed the name of the producer and inexplicably deleted one of the graphic designers. Finally, the rear cover says “available now” instead of “coming soon”.

The only other changes are as previously noted: darker ink, incorporated errata, heavily textured box finish, and graphical changes to the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls