Popular Tags: [View All]
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I played this game today at a local game store for the first time. And while I really enjoyed the very solid gameplay, I'd be more interested if it came in a different theme. (In today's age, that last bit may be taken wrong and offend, so here's my disclaimer: Note that I bear no dislike of the Japanese culture or people... I've visited Japan several times. It's just that the theme and artwork for this game doesn't do anything to grab me. Much like games that depict farming don't do anything for me, and are thus a turn off... although I have family members who are farmers in the midwest).

So does anyone know if this same game comes offered as a different theme? Likely not, so then my next question is if any fans of this game know of other very similar games, (i.e, similar mechanics, style, feel, etc), but in a different theme?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard people say this has a similar feel.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/234429/raids
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
teekay 96
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Francis Drake also uses the mechanism of moving as far along a one-way track as you’d like knowing you’re first to get what you want at the expense of not being able to go back for what you need.

After the track phase, all characters play out an exploration/action phase.

It has a pirate theme. Equally beautiful art and components as Tokaido, but in a completely different style.

It is an enjoyable game that I personally like, but does have a down side that all three rounds of the game play exactly the same, imo. I still enjoy it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thebes has a similar feel with time being a resource you have to consider. It's got a cool archealogy theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

All, thank you for your replies. Yes, I have heard of Francis Drake. I'll have to check it out. I'll also check out "Raids" and "Thebes".

Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Kraftwagen which can usually be found at Miniature Market for less than $20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gianluca Casu
Belgium
Ixelles
Bruxelles
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New out Tales of the Northlands: The Sagas of Noggin the Nog
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nusferatu wrote:
I've heard people say this has a similar feel.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/234429/raids

I love Raids, and I love Tokaido, and my experience with Raids is it has been a more "aggressive Tokaido" where you can hurt your opponents much more. In Tokaido the main "impact" to your opponent is taking the space they needed, which, can be an aggressive move. In fact, one of my favorite plays of Tokaido ever was with 4 other players who were heavy Magic Drafters and that game was cut-throat, but, I digress... I love both and while Tokaido has been one of my all time favorite games for a long time, even before getting to work with it, Raids has a special place on my shelf too. I like having both games, and pending the game group make up, being able to pick the right one to play. More aggressive group? Raids. More casual group? Tokaido; generally speaking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Part of what I love about Tokaido is the theme and art. It all adds to the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rilos wrote:
Part of what I love about Tokaido is the theme and art. It all adds to the experience.

Just what I was thinking. For me the theme here is everything, it sets the pace and style of the game. What is it about the theme you don’t care for Barry? Identifying that might help suggest alternatives
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.