Betrayal Legacy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Haunt 38 SPOILERS about betrayer and non betrayers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Burgener
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
If you haven't revealed the haunt yet please stop reading...

So I read both books after we finished this, one of my friends who wasn't the betrayer ended up killing himself right away on his turn. The reason I read both is because in the traitors tome it says that you win when you have gotten all heroes to their starting value of sanity or higher. Well it didn't say anything about if someone happened to die in either one of the books. My friend who died was using one of the omens that did damage because he biffed his role taking him to death. The betrayer got very mad and was upset because he thought he couldn't win. I just took it as if the person killed themselves then you shouldn't have to worry about them. I would like anybody's thought on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
www.Meetup.com/ArizonaGames
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would interpret that to mean "all the still living hero's to their starting sanity or higher".

Cuz...otherwise it would be broken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Burgener
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thats what I was thinking but it does not say that in the rules, as the rules state "You win when you get all patients (heroes) to their starting sanity or higher". That is why he was mad as in the Secrets of survival it says nothing about not dying. Usually it will call this out in the book but this was not the case. I haven't ever seen him get that upset... I concur with the statement that it would be broken otherwise so after we finished up I told him that is how we should have played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Mosesdaddy wrote:
If you haven't revealed the haunt yet please stop reading...

So I read both books after we finished this, one of my friends who wasn't the betrayer ended up killing himself right away on his turn. The reason I read both is because in the traitors tome it says that you win when you have gotten all heroes to their starting value of sanity or higher. Well it didn't say anything about if someone happened to die in either one of the books. My friend who died was using one of the omens that did damage because he biffed his role taking him to death. The betrayer got very mad and was upset because he thought he couldn't win. I just took it as if the person killed themselves then you shouldn't have to worry about them. I would like anybody's thought on this.

Yes, it should say "all LIVING heroes". The traitor can't harm the heroes in this haunt but shouldn't be punished for them hurting themselves. I will put it in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. We were wondering about this too. It didn't happen, but one of the players used their helm re-roll to prevent failing an event that would have killed them so they didn't die, but didn't think to ask it on here because we ended up resolving it fine.

Spoiler about Animal Inhabitant and an Item
Spoiler (click to reveal)
This scenario was great for roleplaying the crazy characters. We found the Monkey (hallucination?) and decided to name him Dr. Monkey. Then, the same player who discovered Dr. Monkey, heirloomed Dr. Monkey's Bloodletting Fleam. Took quite a dark twist, hahah.

Actually the more I think about this scenario, I'm still confused. What would happen if the heroes all died (this nearly happened to us unintentionally; both heroes had 3 of their 4 values at critical). Neither victory condition would be met... Which journal entry would you read to advance? I guess if there are no living heroes, then you don't have to raise any stats as the traitor?

I'm assuming the traitor wins if all investigators die? Because otherwise, nothing is stopping the players from just offing themselves to win. But by the same token, there's no reason for the traitor to not just beat the stuffing out of the inmates so long as they keep them happy. If they die from an event, so much the better. I don't know if I like this or not, haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Lim
msg tools
Well we had this haunt, and it was one sided for the "heros", primarily because of an ongoing event (Glow - Bright Lights)..

From what i understand from the traitor's tome,
a) he could not kill us... only bring our stat he attacked with to critical, and so the only risk of us running around with critical sanity was us triggering events that cause mental/sanity damage...
b) he couldn't beat us down/challenge us/confiscate our weapons (pitchfork ) because we managed to trade our sanity for might, plus we managed to savagely beat him and his orderlies down, with us talking to angels and coming up with crazy ideas.. (bet they regretted medicating us so close to the bright lights)..

in the end it was quite one sided, and once we revealed all 6 possible event tiles for the angels the traitor had no chance to win. (though we had to wait a while to heal our sanity so that we talk to the angels)

(side note: i reckon instead of the bright lights, the heroes could also camp near the graveyard to prevent the traitor from ever getting the hero's sanity to their starting values..

maybe it's just the luck of the draw, We theory-crafted that the traitor could have a more even chance if another action the traitor could take was to OPERATE: at the operating theater / laboratory to lobotomize a hero with critical sanity and permanently take them out of the scenario.. it would have fit thematically, and the timeline also somewhat fits.. (lobotomy was a "common" practice in the 1930-40s, but it started sometime in the 1910s.. ) Having 4 heroes running around completing objectives all the time even when most of them already "sane" was what our traitor found most difficult to deal with (especially after we managed to kill an orderly) Plus it would have matched what the heros thought the traitors wanted to do to them..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobotomy

Did anyone else also encountered had this as an easy haunt for the heros.. just wondering if our experience was unique...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Waldner
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
We literally played this Haunt last night. One of our favourites so far.

We didn't get to the point where one of our "insane" characters died, but we were close and were already talking about the story of why
(the character would rather kill himself than allow himself to be eaten by the demons).

The poor traitor was doing so well and she had three of us sane again but was having a hell of a time with the fourth. He had lucked out earlier in the game and gotten an event that boosted his might up to 7 dice, which meant the poor demons/attendants had a hell of a time trying to eat/medicate him.

What made this Haunt so much more fun was the traitor really fell into the caretaker/doctor roll. She came back and spoke super soft. She gave shoulder rubs to the players sitting beside her. Expressed sympathy when we didn't roll good "Oh no. I'm so sorry that happened. How does that make you feel?" I think it was around this moment we started to clue in that something was off. Especially when she sent the attendants after one of us. She'd roll the dice and when she'd win say "See, that wasn't too bad. Let me just put this up one here. Ok, you did such a great job! I'm really proud of you. We're just going to do this one more time, ok?"

So while the player she was "attacking" and myself were confused to the point of crying laughing, her husband said "Guys, she's being too nice. She's never this nice. I think she's the doctor trying to make us crazy people sane. There are no demons or angels!"

In the end the "heroes" won. The traitor, while sad she lost, was happy she no longer had to be "that nice" anymore.

Best session thus far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.