Subject: Haunt 34 - Damnable Behavior - Clarification Request! (Spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kimberly L
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Hi there!

So our group just finished playing through Haunt 34, where we are trying to hold a trial for the traitor for working with a pukwudgie and ran into a very interesting issue we'd love clarification on for next time!

Our main objective says "You win when the traitor is dead", but we need to gather enough evidence to hold a trial for him, successfully accuse him, and then hang him. Buuuut what happens if he dies earlier?

On one of the player's turns, they managed to successfully steal an item from the traitor. This item had given the traitor plus one to knowledge and sanity - and by stealing the item, his sanity would have dropped to zero, killing him. This is all before we even had the chance to bring him to trial, mind you.

We weren't sure what to do with this at all (did the kill count as a victory if he didn't have a trial? Was it a failure? etc.) and decided in the end to let him drop to critical instead, which cost us the game his very next turn, so it's left us all feeling a little off.

Thank you for your input! This is a super fun game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Webster
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say the traitor died. Heroes win. But I didn’t play that haunts so don’t know the traitors special circumstances

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Warnock
United States
OMAHA
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He dies. Heroes win. Thematically, it wouldn't make sense for him to win if he dies......since that is not his win condition. Also does not make sense that he would be artificially kept alive just to go through the trial and be hung.

Thematically, I would think of this as the traitor realizing that everyone is against him/her and committing suicide to avoid the shame of being "convicted" by his/her peers. The end result is the same - heroes confirm their "suspicions" and they win. The player that then stole the item from the traitor (causing death) would get the Deed To The House.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The heroes win if the traitor is dead, no matter how they die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kimberly L
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Thank you everyone for the input! We will keep this in mind going forward!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Colwell

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We ran into a related issue -- I had succeeded in Holding a Trial, and then was attacked by the traitor on his turn. I successfully defended, and our group had a brief discussion about whether my damaging him fulfilled the Hanging goal.

We decided that the ATTACK action had to be used by a hero to fulfill the goal, so the traitor just took the damage and we moved on. I did wonder what would have happened if my defense had killed him, though -- this clears it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.