Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We talk about it in this episode, so now we want to know what are your albatross games? Those games that you keep bringing to game nights but just can't get played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tavares
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pablopk wrote:
We talk about it in this episode, so now we want to know what are your albatross games? Those games that you keep bringing to game nights but just can't get played.

Lisboa, Gallerist, Gaia Project cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tang
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For me, it's Mottainai. No one in game group including me knows how to play and I've watched some videos but I keep stumbling on the teach. I think I need to play solo against myself to get more familiar with not just mechanics but eventuAlly strategy for any chance of actually breaking this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have/had two:

Dark Moon - My group doesn't seem to be too big on social deductiony traitor games. My family group, however, cut our teeth on BSG, and a couple hour version of it sounds wonderful to me. It just never would get played when I'd bring it to game days. I ended up trading it with zero plays. cry

1754: Conquest – The French and Indian War - This is currently my #1 game (with only two plays). Getting people excited about a historic war game can be tricky, plus the game can go long. It is such an amzing and fun game, though. I think I should get my Warhammer friends to play this with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Rakstad
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Queen's Architect - I really like that the vp track is in jumps, rather than a straight line. Makes for some interesting decisions about how and when you're going to get VP. I also like the rondell and the turning worker values.

Mini Rails - depends on the game group, but some of my fellow gamers love this one, some pretend to not notice it. A GREAT filler game, takes 30-45 max, and lots of good thinky decisions.

Gaia Project/Terra Mystica/Caylus - takes too long and too complicated to learn.

Bora Bora/Castles of Burgundy/Trajan - too Feldy. Too many ways to get points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is Petrichor and it baffles me. Simple rules and great presentation, but I’ve not had any takers the 5 or 6 times I brought it to MeetUp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Sites
United States
Fredericksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine has been Oh My Goods! Got a copy months ago bring it along every where but people I play with would rather get a board on the table over just cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vannoy
United States
Shreve
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy. Fortune and Glory. I have it with all the expansions so far and have read the rule book a few times and watched a couple of playthroughs and still didn't think I had a total grasp on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hunt for the Ring

But I’ve got the rules out and will make it happen to play a full game this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Lorenzo Il Magnifico: I've taken this and had it set up at our meetup several times, but it never grabs the attention of anyone. Learned multiple times.

Suburbia: Watch the video, learn the rules and every time I bring it out to play with my wife, she wants to play she already knows. Despite this, she talks about wanting to play this often.

Robinson Crusoe (1st Edition): Maybe one day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brion Stone
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New Angeles - I love the theme and universe. The idea of negotiating with a table of people each having our own agendas. I want to play this game so much... but I don't have a group that feels the same for a 3-4 hour game.

Vast - This is another that has been on my Albatross games list but it has fallen down to second place since Root came out. People are more included to play Root so I have actually gotten that to the table a few times and took the edge off wanting to play Vast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Huminski
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Godfather: Corleone's Empire - I keep trying to get this one to table, but other games win out. I am such a Godfather junkie, I need to play this!!!

Fate of the Elder Gods - I want to play this soooo much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Faultner
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Lorenzo Il Magnifico: I've taken this and had it set up at our meetup several times, but it never grabs the attention of anyone. Learned multiple times.

Kristopher, I live in Seattle, but jokingly would fly to Michigan to play this with you. I've played this once, and it was amazing! I was about 10 minutes in, and my endorphin rush kicked in, and my brain sparkled throughout this choice filled engine builder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Faultner
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for some reason, I cannot get Great Western Trail to the table, and it's killing me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has to just be a matter of time, but Argent: The Consortium and Arcadia Quest are my current albatrosses. AQ was on my 10x10 list last year and Iwas not able to play it once.

I picked up Argent last year and have not yet been able to get people to play it. Other games have continued to win out. It is in part just fair rotation of our group. Soon though. Soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owlbear
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I just wanna play more games
badge
Hoothoot GRRR!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently it's Root.
Either we haven't had enough time or had too many people to play.

I'M DYING TO PLAY!! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is High Frontier (Third Edition) I have had it on the shelf since the kickstarter delivered, and just haven't been able to get it to table. Part of it is the complexity, but I know I have to play it before I can consider getting rid of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine is Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Board Game, which I had prepped and ready to play with my family and/or friends for three months before I put it away. This year, though, for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Rowe
Canada
High River Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I knew you wanted to mouse over my Avatar :).
mbmbmbmbmb
For the most part GMT games in general seem to be a challenge to get to table. I have now just left most wargames at home and made an effort to schedule specific days to play such games.

A game I consistently bring out to game nights would be

Through the Ages.

Most players would rather play several games in one night instead of just one..

Good news though I think I might actually get a play in with two other players this coming weekend. Yay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Maltman
Canada
RICHMOND HILL
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thegamer wrote:
For the most part GMT games in general seem to be a challenge to get to table. I have now just left most wargames at home and made an effort to schedule specific days to play such games.

A game I consistently bring out to game nights would be

Through the Ages.

Most players would rather play several games in one night instead of just one..

Good news though I think I might actually get a play in with two other players this coming weekend. Yay.

I just play on the app, async, every day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris T
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Modern Art has racked up some mileage traveling in my game bag. Logged plays -- zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Moore
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Onward to Venus, a game by Martin Wallace

cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Distantbabble wrote:

cry

Gimme that game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Holmes
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Distantbabble wrote:

cry

While this isn't an Albatross game, it's one I own and have only played once, to my great regret. Now that you've reminded me I want to play it again - but it's in storage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Moore
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha ha!!

I have no plans of parting With it, and it will continue to "tour" with me.
😁
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.